RBH Sound Signature Reference 8300-SE/R Loudspeaker Review

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I don't understand some of this whining about these reviews....

I think Gene and all the other guys at AH is doing an incredible piece of work... I always enjoy reading their reviews, and it's always backed by skilled remarks and a whole bunch of really professional measurements. I regards the AH reviews as some of the best around.

keep up the good work guys, look forward to reading more in future :p

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Comments like these just reassures reader that this site publishes trusted and reliable information that you wouldn't get elsewhere.
Keep up the good work guys!
Merry Christmas.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I love this site and get 95% of my audio knowledge by reading here on the boards, as well as the excellent articles and reviews. It costs me nothing and I am grateful for the service. Gene and the gang put out a great product. I tell everyone that I am an audioholic rather than an audiophile. My objectivist leanings come from this place and the Audio Critic's writings.

From a poster's perspective, I think TLSguy is an asset to this site. He is always helping noobs and the diy crowd. I think his take on modern receivers is spot on. I feel like he is a true right stuff brother of objectivism.

With that said, it is near to impossible to get an objective review these days. Audioholics comes close to dissing products, but will never slam one like TLS guy did. Or point out cheap connectors, like mardelgo did. I'm a working stiff. And for $10k I would hope the guts of the product were top notch. So, this site gives me all sides and I am grateful for Gene and TLS guy's take on things. I hope they both continue and prosper unchecked in the new year.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love this site and get 95% of my audio knowledge by reading here on the boards, as well as the excellent articles and reviews. It costs me nothing and I am grateful for the service. Gene and the gang put out a great product. I tell everyone that I am an audioholic rather than an audiophile. My objectivist leanings come from this place and the Audio Critic's writings.

From a poster's perspective, I think TLSguy is an asset to this site. He is always helping noobs and the diy crowd. I think his take on modern receivers is spot on. I feel like he is a true right stuff brother of objectivism.

With that said, it is near to impossible to get an objective review these days. Audioholics comes close to dissing products, but will never slam one like TLS guy did. Or point out cheap connectors, like mardelgo did. I'm a working stiff. And for $10k I would hope the guts of the product were top notch. So, this site gives me all sides and I am grateful for Gene and TLS guy's take on things. I hope they both continue and prosper unchecked in the new year.
Yeah, like they say, there's always (at least) 2 sides to every story.

And everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
yes I even called their Marketing Manager to offer him to enter his product in Tom's floorstading speaker faceoff and he declined saying nobody wins in a faceoff but the speaker that got 1st place. He also said we tend to nit pick too much about product performance and rely too much on how things measure.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
yes I even called their Marketing Manager to offer him to enter his product in Tom's floorstading speaker faceoff and he declined saying nobody wins in a faceoff but the speaker that got 1st place. He also said we tend to nit pick too much about product performance and rely too much on how things measure.
Have you offered "if you let us put it in the face-off, then we won't say 'they refsued to let us because they said we paid too much attention to how it actually sounds'"?

To agree with an earlier poster: if there wasn't a healthy difference of opinion, like the one early in this thread, I would not be a member, and I would not use here for their reviews. From the standpoint of a poster it's interesting; and as someone looking for information: it's honest.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Wrong #

I’m sorry Gene, but are you sure you didn’t call the Bose marketing department?:eek:

That sounds like a line right out of their play book!:rolleyes:

Sorry AcuDefTechGuy! ;):p:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
thanks guys but why bother to give press to a company that clearly doesn't want it from us? I'd rather work with companies that appreciate our review style. Take Yamaha for example, I ripped them apart in the "Trading amplifier quality for features" article as well as the video issues I found in the Z7 review, and they are one of our biggest advertisers and E-store partners. It speaks volumes for their integrity and faith in their products and services. I wish more companies operated like them. :(

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Not for want of trying... so far they won't let us review anything.
Looks like they're afraid to get a fair review :rolleyes:

I kind'o always wanted statement speakers, and the RBH Sound Signature Reference 8300-SE/R looks like a quite fair bet :p

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
sorry to be bumping such an old thread but the SX thread got me digging this up and I just had to respond, especially since Def Tech Guy has since auditioned a few more speakers since then as well:

Good like finding a 200uF poly cap that is of reasonable size and cost that can fit in the crossover. Bypassing electrolytics is a great compromise to this problem as most manufacturers tend to do. They placed two 400uF 100V caps in series which halves the total capacitance, but doubles the working voltage to accommodate high power amps without blowing up. The bypass cap is a very high end Solen which again isn't clear in the photo.

The choke on the woofer is a 6 mH low DCR and has a power rating of 500 Watts with low saturation so again you simply apply a absolute that all iron cores must be bad.

For midrange drivers and tweeters I tend to agree but using them for bass drivers where the values often get large are an understandble application. A choke this value in an air core would be much larger and have more resistive losses thus you would lose damping which is critical for the bass frequencies. So if the steel core isn't distorting or saturating, then why change it to something costlier, larger and potentially less performing?
He was implying that a passive crossover this low is a no-no, period. That you should either go active or cross much higher in a 3-way.

Every listening session I have heard on these speakers is far from sloppy bass.
Yes, but your perception of sloppy bass may be a bit different from TLS guy, who finds that only critically damped transmission lines etc can really reproduce real life instruments of classical music. You seem to prefer a bit more punch...or dare-I-say-it.. bass coloration compared to the "dry bass" he prefers and certainly seem to have a different taste in music...

My T30-LSE towers for example utilize no passive crossover at all in the bass drivers and this is from the same company. It all depends on the product design and how well the system plays as a whole. Every design is different and you have to do what is right for that particular application.
His complaint was about the application itself... a very low crossed passive crossover.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis