RBH Sound Owner's Thread

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I guess the key word is "the amp is stable". :)

Most amps should be stable into 2 ohms.

As long as the amp can handle 2 ohms load, the amp could output more power into 2 ohms. But if the amp can't handle 2 ohms load, then it would be in trouble.

Thinking out loud here: :)

Two 4-ohm speakers in parallel = 4 ohm/2 = 2 ohm
Three 4-ohm speakers in parallel = 4 ohm/3 = 1.33 ohm
Four 4-ohm speakers in parallel = 4 ohm/4 = 1 ohm

Two 4-ohm in series = 4 + 4 = 8 ohm
Three 4-ohm in series = 4 + 4 + 4 = 12 ohm
Four 4-ohm in series = 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 = 16 ohm

My POV on this - wiring in parallel may get you more power output if your amp is stable, but wiring in series is probably safer and easier for your amp to handle, assuming you don't listen to crazy volume that would require too much power. ;)

Yeah, I am kind of a chicken. :D
I believe their standard 10" driver is more like 5-6 ohms so two of them in parallel would be closer to 3-4 ohms. I haven't played with their new 250 amp but their old SA300 is absolutely stable with even 2 1010's wired in parallel. 2 SI-10s in parallel are an easy load and I can shake my master bedroom nicely in this configuration :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I believe their standard 10" driver is more like 5-6 ohms so two of them in parallel would be closer to 3-4 ohms. I haven't played with their new 250 amp but their old SA300 is absolutely stable with even 2 1010's wired in parallel. 2 SI-10s in parallel are an easy load and I can shake my master bedroom nicely in this configuration :)
I would love to try those SI-10, SI-12, or SI-1010 one of these days. I believe they use the same great aluminum woofers as the SX-1010N.

For the OP: If you want to wire the dual SI-10 subs in Parallel:

Connect the (-) negative post of the amp to the (-) negative post of Sub#1 and the (-) negative post Sub#2. Then connect the (+) positive post of the amp to the (+) positive post of Sub#1 and the (+) positive post Sub#2.

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
While we're on the subject...I have about decided on the SX8300's, so I'm liquidating what I can to pay for them. The next question is, do I really need a dedicated amp for them? I will be driving them with a Yamaha RXA 2020. Outlaw audio is having a pretty good deal on their amps which I believe to be very similar to ATI's offerings.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
While we're on the subject...I have about decided on the SX8300's, so I'm liquidating what I can to pay for them. The next question is, do I really need a dedicated amp for them? I will be driving them with a Yamaha RXA 2020. Outlaw audio is having a pretty good deal on their amps which I believe to be very similar to ATI's offerings.
Yes, definitely get an amp to actively bi-amp them (as LFE/Subwoofer) so you can easily control the bass without having to mess around with any EQ in your AVR.

Most people would get an amp that has gain controls so they could turn the gain knob/volume up or down like for active subs. So most people would get a subwoofer amp like the $300 HSU or the RBH SA-250DSP or SA-500DSP or other amps with gain controls (Crown amps, some Parasound amps have gain controls, etc.).

I use an ATI AT3005 amp without gain control so I use the speaker channel level adjustment (-12dB to +12dB) on my Denon to adjust the subwoofer level.

Can the Yamaha adjust the sub levels by -12dB to +12dB ?

If so, pretty much any subwoofer amp or regular amp will do.

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
Yes, definitely get an amp to actively bi-amp them (as LFE/Subwoofer) so you can easily control the bass without having to mess around with any EQ in your AVR.

Most people would get an amp that has gain controls so they could turn the gain knob/volume up or down like for active subs. So most people would get a subwoofer amp like the $300 HSU or the RBH SA-250DSP or SA-500DSP or other amps with gain controls (Crown amps, some Parasound amps have gain controls, etc.).

I use an ATI AT3005 amp without gain control so I use the speaker channel level adjustment (-12dB to +12dB) on my Denon to adjust the subwoofer level.

Can the Yamaha adjust the sub levels by -12dB to +12dB ?

If so, pretty much any subwoofer amp or regular amp will do.
I'll have to double check, but I think it's -10dB to +10dB. While not as cool as a big a$$ amp, a sub amp would be the smartest. However, I'm not always known to do smart. I am good at extreme and conflicted.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'll have to double check, but I think it's -10dB to +10dB. While not as cool as a big a$$ amp, a sub amp would be the smartest. However, I'm not always known to do smart. I am good at extreme and conflicted.
So....... You're like me. :)

Yeah, I like to use big bad solid state amps too for the bass. Well, it works for me, so it should work for you. Just use the Yamaha speaker channel levels to adjust the bass amount.

The Outlaw amp should work.

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
Any updates on the speakers and amps? :)
I waited around too long on the amps, but I'm getting closer to the speaker purchase. I understand you may be a good resource for finding a reputable dealer, so I may be hitting you up soon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I waited around too long on the amps, but I'm getting closer to the speaker purchase. I understand you may be a good resource for finding a reputable dealer, so I may be hitting you up soon.
What amps do you currently own?

A stereo amp or single monoblock amp would work.

You could get a new ADCOM 200WPC or Parasound 250WPC stereo amp for around $1K.

Or any (MCH, Stereo, Mono) < $1K used amps from Bryston, Anthem, Sunfire, etc., would work.

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
What amps do you currently own?

A stereo amp or single monoblock amp would work.

You could get a new ADCOM 200WPC or Parasound 250WPC stereo amp for around $1K.

Or any (MCH, Stereo, Mono) < $1K used amps from Bryston, Anthem, Sunfire, etc., would work.
Right now, I'm running off of my AVR, the Yamaha RXA 2020, which may have to do for a bit. I may have a line on a sunfire amp, but I'm not sure yet, and I don't know much about them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Right now, I'm running off of my AVR, the Yamaha RXA 2020, which may have to do for a bit. I may have a line on a sunfire amp, but I'm not sure yet, and I don't know much about them.
Sunfire amps will sound every bit as good as ATI, Parasound, and Adcom.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
3 month follow-up. :D

Well, I bet some people think that as many speakers as I've owned in the past that I would eventually get tired and bored of my RBH speakers. So I thought I'd do a 3-month F/U.

I absolutely love the RBH system - more than any system I've ever heard. I enjoy them even MORE than when I first got them.

I've been watching a lot more of TV shows and movies on my Home Theater System using XBMC on my HTPC. The sound experience I get is a lot better than the two ATMOS theaters I've been to.

I want to focus on the RBH Center channel. It is by far the best center speaker experience I've ever had. Spoken dialogue via the center speaker is the most natural vocal sound I've ever heard - absolutely clear, dynamic, and natural sounding. When the actors speak, their voices emanate from their mouths, not from the speakers. So realistic and natural.

On the music side, I've been going back to the Mozart Piano Concertos and Beethoven Symphonies that I listened to all the time when I was in high-school and throughout my college years. The music sounds like true dynamic symphony concerts, from the high levels to the low levels.

Anyway, just a F/U on my system. :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
3 month follow-up. :D

Well, I bet some people think that as many speakers as I've owned in the past that I would eventually get tired and bored of my RBH speakers. So I thought I'd do a 3-month F/U.

I absolutely love the RBH system - more than any system I've ever heard. I enjoy them even MORE than when I first got them.

I've been watching a lot more of TV shows and movies on my Home Theater System using XBMC on my HTPC. The sound experience I get is a lot better than the two ATMOS theaters I've been to.

I want to focus on the RBH Center channel. It is by far the best center speaker experience I've ever had. Spoken dialogue via the center speaker is the most natural vocal sound I've ever heard - absolutely clear, dynamic, and natural sounding. When the actors speak, their voices emanate from their mouths, not from the speakers. So realistic and natural.

On the music side, I've been going back to the Mozart Piano Concertos and Beethoven Symphonies that I listened to all the time when I was in high-school and throughout my college years. The music sounds like true dynamic symphony concerts, from the high levels to the low levels.

Anyway, just a F/U on my system. :D
Lucky for you this was the case, financially. I doubt RBH speakers have anywhere near the relative resale value of the B&Ws, probably more like the Orions.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lucky for you this was the case, financially. I doubt RBH speakers have anywhere near the relative resale value of the B&Ws, probably more like the Orions.
Yeah, my case of buying all those speakers was absolutely imprudent, to say the least. :eek:

It was a bad case of trial and error until I finally realized what I really wanted in my speaker system.

I certainly would not have done that in hindsight.

But at last I have my RBH speaker system and my Lexus LX 570. Now all I need is a dream custom house with a dream custom home theater system :D ............ if I can convince my wife to stop investing in real estate in southern CA. :eek:

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, my case of buying all those speakers was absolutely imprudent, to say the least. :eek:

It was a bad case of trial and error until I finally realized what I really wanted in my speaker system.

I certainly would not have done that in hindsight.

But at last I have my RBH speaker system and my Lexus LX 570. Now all I need is a dream custom house with a dream custom home theater system :D ............ if I can convince my wife to stop investing in real estate in southern CA. :eek:
I wasn't casting value judgments on your past decisions, because IMO you certainly demonstrated excellent taste in your previous selections. My comment was simply focused on the resale risk you've taken with RBH versus B&W, as you have lamented repeatedly on your inability to sell the Orions at a price you found acceptable. I'm also not making the case that one should give special consideration to products with active resale markets, just that I recommend that it should be a decision-making consideration. Resale issues have certainly factored into my risk-reward decision (so far) regarding the massive Sound Lab electrostatics I not so secretly covet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wasn't casting value judgments on your past decisions, because IMO you certainly demonstrated excellent taste in your previous selections. My comment was simply focused on the resale risk you've taken with RBH versus B&W, as you have lamented repeatedly on your inability to sell the Orions at a price you found acceptable. I'm also not making the case that one should give special consideration to products with active resale markets, just that I recommend that it should be a decision-making consideration. Resale issues have certainly factored into my risk-reward decision (so far) regarding the massive Sound Lab electrostatics I not so secretly covet.
Resale is a huge issue if you have not found your perfect-fit system.

If you are unsure what your ideal system is, it is safer to stick with something with a higher resale value. That way you can easily sell them later to buy your felicitous system like I did. :)

"Excellent taste" doesn't mean much if you end up having to sell your speakers for a huge lost. The $22K MSRP Salon2 were sold for about $11K. The $15K MSRP B&W 802D were sold for about $9K. The $18K MSRP KEF 201/2 (3 pairs) were sold for about $8K.

I define "excellent taste" as something you can unequivocally say is your ideal system and wholeheartedly believe there isn't anything else significantly better in terms of SQ.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A nice fellow audiophile called me today inquiring about my Linkwitz Orion for sale from Craigslist. He came by and listened to the Orion for about an hour. He seemed very interested and very impressed with the Orion. There was a glimpse of hope that he might be buying my Orion......until he couldn't help noticing those big black towers next to the Orion. :eek:

He spent another 15 minutes listening to the RBH SX-T2/R and that's when I knew any hope of selling the Orion was gone. He was so much more impressed by the sound of my RBH speakers than the Orion. And he said that he may contact me about landing a pair of RBH SX-8300 towers.

Well, lesson learned. I guess if I want to sell my Orion, it needs to be done online and not in person because those big bad boys from RBH are fierce competition. :(

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
LMAO, NEVER show someone your new toys when you're trying to sell your old ones :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis