RBH Sound Owner's Thread

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
You mean the dealer stocking $50-100K worth of inventories ?

Yeah, that doesn't happen anymore.
Not saying they have to stock that kind of inventory. But stocking $0 worth of inventory is not a dealer.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Not saying they have to stock that kind of inventory. But stocking $0 worth of inventory is not a dealer.
It getting pretty rare these days unless you are in a huge city that is known for high rollers that a lot of inventory is going to be present. From what I have seen in Fla ( south Fla) the inventory is usually dictated by the wealth of the surrounding areas and then it not every speakers or amp.

And I agree a person that has zero inventory is operating as a ecommerce business. Companies that do not stock product use drop shipping to fulfill customer orders. Not very helpful if you want to see, touch or hear a audio product and most all have restocking fees. But that's no different than the Audio Amazons of the internet, but it appears its the way things are going, unless you are lucky enough to live in a city that has a real audiophile type of dealer that caters to the $5000 and up speaker, AMP bunch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Even 4 years ago when I was actively auditioning :D, none of the dealers (B&W, KEF, Revel, Paradigm) in OKC had any inventories. The Revel dealer had a pair of demo M22 bookshelf. The KEF dealer had to borrow a loaner for me to audition. :eek: The Paradigm dealer had a demo Studio 100. The PSB dealer had a pair of demo Imagine T2. The B&W dealer had demo 802D & 800D. But not a single dealer had any inventories beyond the demo units.

Best Buy stores around here don't even keep inventories of speakers beyond $1K MSRP. Never even seen a Denon AVR above 3XXX at Best Buy in OKC.

There were Ultimate Electronics stores in OKC 4 years ago. They had $10K TVs and $6K projectors. But none kept inventories of any speakers beyond $1K MSRP either. They went bankrupt.

Yeah, if I were a billionaire and didn't care about making money and just did it for fun, I would carry every brand and keep inventories of everything.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Even 4 years ago when I was actively auditioning :D, none of the dealers (B&W, KEF, Revel, Paradigm) in OKC had any inventories. The Revel dealer had a pair of demo M22 bookshelf. The KEF dealer had to borrow a loaner for me to audition. :eek: The Paradigm dealer had a demo Studio 100. The PSB dealer had a pair of demo Imagine T2. The B&W dealer had demo 802D & 800D. But not a single dealer had any inventories beyond the demo units.

Best Buy stores around here don't even keep inventories of speakers beyond $1K MSRP. Never even seen a Denon AVR above 3XXX at Best Buy in OKC.

There were Ultimate Electronics stores in OKC 4 years ago. They had $10K TVs and $6K projectors. But none kept inventories of any speakers beyond $1K MSRP either. They went bankrupt.

Yeah, if I were a billionaire and didn't care about making money and just did it for fun, I would carry every brand and keep inventories of everything.
Yeah, and audiophiles wonder why this hobby is getting rare each year. Nobody has anything to listen to. When a person has to drive 250 + to staying the night in some other state to listen to a speaker something is wrong, but that very same dealer who notes they are an "authorized dealer" for a product carries a low dollar model, or not a single product by the manufacturer they claim to be a dealer for, "oh we can get it, but you have to pay small deposit, I call that BS. And don't get me started on restocking fees for a 100+lb speaker.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Glad I live in the Chicagoland area. I have 4-5 within a 30 mile radius and an RBH Dealer within a 50 min Drive as I found out when auditioning.

Besides the cost of merchandise to actually keeping stock on hand, the amount of warehouse space to store some of these 5k+ speakers would be insane. I saw how big my speakers were in a box, I can imagine the size of boxes necessary for ADTG's setup, the cost/space to warehouse any type of inventory would be insane.

I am perfectly happy if I can demo the speakers and wait the 2-3days or 2-3 weeks for the T1s thanks to the Strike in Canada. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, and audiophiles wonder why this hobby is getting rare each year. Nobody has anything to listen to. When a person has to drive 250 + to staying the night in some other state to listen to a speaker something is wrong, but that very same dealer who notes they are an "authorized dealer" for a product carries a low dollar model, or not a single product by the manufacturer they claim to be a dealer for, "oh we can get it, but you have to pay small deposit, I call that BS. And don't get me started on restocking fees for a 100+lb speaker.
Yup, it's a shame for sure about dying breed of dealership. :(

I try to do my part, but I'm only small potato. :)

If there were an RBH dealer near you, which speaker models would you like to hear?

On a positive note, I'm at home today listening to my system all by myself. :D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
You mean the dealer stocking $50-100K worth of inventories ?

Yeah, that doesn't happen anymore.
Now that all depends where you're living. I live in the sticks of upstate NY and I have a local dealer that has at least a 3 million dollars in inventory if not more.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Glad I live in the Chicagoland area. I have 4-5 within a 30 mile radius and an RBH Dealer within a 50 min Drive as I found out when auditioning.

Besides the cost of merchandise to actually keeping stock on hand, the amount of warehouse space to store some of these 5k+ speakers would be insane. I saw how big my speakers were in a box, I can imagine the size of boxes necessary for ADTG's setup, the cost/space to warehouse any type of inventory would be insane.

I am perfectly happy if I can demo the speakers and wait the 2-3days or 2-3 weeks for the T1s thanks to the Strike in Canada. :)
Yeah, 5 x T2 towers = 10 big boxes. :D

So when you bought your Triton 1, did the dealer have them in stock or did he order them for you after you demo the speakers?

When I was in Dallas Texas 4 years ago auditioning the Revel Salon2 & Wilson Audio Sasha, the dealers didn't have any speakers or amps in stock either, except for the demo units. But I was grateful they even had demo speakers for me to listen.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now that all depends where you're living. I live in the sticks of upstate NY and I have a local dealer that has at least a 3 million dollars in inventory if not more.
Yeah, if I were a billionaire I would have $10 million inventories just because I think it's fun. Also helps to be in a rich area where people would actually buy the speakers. :D

But audiophiles like us who spend $5K-$10K on speakers are the minority.

Most people spend $500-$1,000 on speakers at Best Buy. :)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
You would go nuts in this place. I just stop by now and then since I know the guy when he started in an attic about 40 years ago. Bought some JLB's and Cornwall's off him back in the days and an SAE pre-amp and power amp. I think this is his entry level theater room. I don't even know how many set ups he's got.
http://www.nysshometheater.com/

J

jalesi

Junior Audioholic
And when I say inventory, I consider as most businesses, speakers that are on a showroom, so auditions can happen. I'm not saying they should have an Amazon warehouse full of speakers. I'm not that impatient. I'm trying to step away from ID, I've never purchased a speaker where I was able to audition it first. Now that I'm wanting to upgrade, I'm hoping that this will be my last speakers. I'm getting too old to wrestle them around. Spending a multiple thousands of dollars on speakers, I would like to hear them first. I'm wanting to hear the SX 6300, SX 8300 and the Revel F206 and F208. I've done a little bit of searching in Atlanta and Charlotte and haven't found anyone that has a showroom. If I wanted an automated house, I'd be in luck! And while I'm on the soap box, if I can't listen before I buy, I'd rather buy direct.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, 5 x T2 towers = 10 big boxes. :D

So when you bought your Triton 1, did the dealer have them in stock or did he order them for you after you demo the speakers?

When I was in Dallas Texas 4 years ago auditioning the Revel Salon2 & Wilson Audio Sasha, the dealers didn't have any speakers or amps in stock either, except for the demo units. But I was grateful they even had demo speakers for me to listen.
He had to order them.

I got mine as they just were coming out. He just sold 2 pairs, dealers were still filling backorders. There was a Strike at the Port and Canada where they where supposed to ship from which delayed my order for two weeks. In the Chicagoland area I have 3 GE dealers and 2 had the units in demo. I spent almost an hour demo'ing the speakers before I pulled the trigger.

He actually had a bunch on order, but I think he snuck me in front of the line. That and I paid for 50% up front. The strike did delay my order two weeks, but was worth it. No way to keep those in stock. To high demand, not enough inventory, and boxes are two damn big. I am 5 11' an those boxes are almost at my chin.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
And when I say inventory, I consider as most businesses, speakers that are on a showroom, so auditions can happen. I'm not saying they should have an Amazon warehouse full of speakers. I'm not that impatient. I'm trying to step away from ID, I've never purchased a speaker where I was able to audition it first. Now that I'm wanting to upgrade, I'm hoping that this will be my last speakers. I'm getting too old to wrestle them around. Spending a multiple thousands of dollars on speakers, I would like to hear them first. I'm wanting to hear the SX 6300, SX 8300 and the Revel F206 and F208. I've done a little bit of searching in Atlanta and Charlotte and haven't found anyone that has a showroom. If I wanted an automated house, I'd be in luck! And while I'm on the soap box, if I can't listen before I buy, I'd rather buy direct.

I thought the F206's sounded great for the money and I demo'd the 8300/Rs and have nothing but great things to say about either.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I agree absolutely about dealers having speakers for you to actually listen. That's the whole point of having the dealers. Otherwise, as you say, might as well buy ID. :)

Which ID speakers have you owned?

The SX-6300 & SX-8300 should sound identical in the midrange and treble, all things being equal. Same with the F206 vs F208.

The advantage of the SX-8300 or SX-6300 is that you could actively bi-amp the bass section using a subwoofer amp (like the $300 HSU subwoofer amp) and listen in stereo 2.1 mode (LFE output).

If you think the bass of the SX-8300 or SX-6300 is too much for the room, you could easily reduce the bass like you would reduce the bass of a subwoofer by just turning down the volume knob of the subwoofer amp.

One SX-8300 tower has the bass equivalent of one SX-1010 subwoofer. For most rooms that are 18' x 20', you would not need any other subwoofer since dual SX-8300 is like having dual SX-1010 subwoofers.

Bottom line, definitely audition at least 2 different times before you buy no matter which speakers you end up buying.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The SX-6300 & SX-8300 should sound identical in the midrange and treble, all things being equal. Same with the F206 vs F208.
Not quite. Tonality is similar but the 8300 has a more dynamic and larger sound due not only to the bigger bass drivers but bigger mids as well.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not quite. Tonality is similar but the 8300 has a more dynamic and larger sound due not only to the bigger bass drivers but bigger mids as well.
Oh yeah, I forgot the 6300 has the 4" midrange vs the 6.5" midrange of the 8300.

It seems to me when it comes to tweeters, 1" is the magic number. When it comes to midrange, 6.5" seems to be the magic number. And when it comes to bass/woofers, 8" & 10" seems to be the magic numbers. :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Yup, it's a shame for sure about dying breed of dealership. :(

I try to do my part, but I'm only small potato. :)

If there were an RBH dealer near you, which speaker models would you like to hear?

On a positive note, I'm at home today listening to my system all by myself. :D

SX-8300
I thought the F206's sounded great for the money and I demo'd the 8300/Rs and have nothing but great things to say about either.

For once I had a Revel dealer within 30 miles and I have heard the F208 and I really enjoyed them.

I'm getting to the point that if I can't hear speakers within 100 miles, I not going to even consider them. This whole audio thing is getting nuts, we lost another store about 65 miles from me this week, that was a nice 2 chl and HT store ; reason the owner could not compete with box stores not to mention adhering to government regulations on taxes, fees, insurance, benefits. The guy said, enough was enough, hell with the gov and closed his doors.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I think the SX-8300 is the best overall in terms of SQ, flexibility, and economy.

For once I had a Revel dealer within 30 miles and I have heard the F208 and I really enjoyed them.

I'm getting to the point that if I can't hear speakers within 100 miles, I not going to even consider them. This whole audio thing is getting nuts, we lost another store about 65 miles from me this week, that was a nice 2 chl and HT store ; reason the owner could not compete with box stores not to mention adhering to government regulations on taxes, fees, insurance, benefits. The guy said, enough was enough, hell with the gov and closed his doors.
If you open a store and pay a lease and nobody buys, then you would close the store, unless you are just doing it as a hobby because you enjoy it like us.

People like us don't need monetary incentive for this hobby if we were rich. All of us would probably open a giant dealership stocked full with speakers and electronics even if it didn't sell. :D

But if people are doing as a primary means of income and they can't make money, they have no choice but to close.

But to be an authorized dealer of a brand, you definitely need to have some demo speakers for anyone to audition. Must be a requirement.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis