RBH Sound Owner's Thread

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
How does that work? Like a time-share venture? :D
Shared buildings. Like when people get divorced but live in a connected duplex building.

Except they just share this room they use for listening to sound. Together.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am not saying that my speakers don't sound good, they do, it just seems to me that the Phil's are a little more accurate at lower levels. Also I have to take into consideration that Alex was driving the Phil's with a Threshold amp which I think when it comes to SQ is a better amp then the Cinepro. Seems to me you and I do like high SPL's and still an accurate sound.
Actually my max volume is about 84dBA or 94dBC. This is very loud to me. OSHA standard is < 90dBA, which is about 6dB louder than my max volume in A-weight dB. And 6dB is a lot (3dB = doubling power output).

So I'm not buying 5 RBH SX-T2P/R towers to play 120dBC volume. The SPL and wide dynamics are there if needed. But the RBH gives me ultra details and accuracy at low to medium volume, which is where I mostly listen.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Shared buildings. Like when people get divorced but live in a connected duplex building.

Except they just share this room they use for listening to sound. Together.
Who gets divorced and live in a connected duplex? That's just crazy. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Who gets divorced and live in a connected duplex? That's just crazy. :D
It's insane,:eek: unless children are involved then it's what's good for the little kiddies that matters :).

So what stuff do you have left to sell off before you get your RBH's. How close are ya to your idea of total audio nirvana ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's insane,:eek: unless children are involved then it's what's good for the little kiddies that matters :).

So what stuff do you have left to sell off before you get your RBH's. How close are ya to your idea of total audio nirvana ?
The only speaker left is the Orion. But it may take years to sell or may never unless I take a 65-70% loss, which I'm not willing to do. At least I can brag that it has real genuine solid mahogany wood, instead of veneer like most speakers. And the Orion is actively QUAD-amp, which is also unique. So the RBH is actively bi-amped, and the Orion is actively quad-amped. :D

I may just have RBH + Linkwitz. At least it's not like having 10 different sets of speakers as before. Everyone knows that is truly insane. :eek:

Oh, I've heard the RBH T2 (standard, non-reference version) before I bought the Salon2, 802D2, Orion, 201/2, Phil3. They were amazingly mellifluous back then when I first heard them. In terms of sound quality, I wholehearted believed the RBH T2 was the best speakers for me compared to everything else. But I just couldn't live with that boxy square look of the old classic series. If the SX curved cabinets were introduced back then, it might have saved me a ton of money and time. :D

One of my wife's female cousins just got married this last Saturday. So this weekend was family party get-together time. My wife's uncles asked me, "So whatever happened to your B&W, Revel, KEF, and those red 'pyramid' looking speakers (Phil3)?

I told them I sold them all and getting 61" big tall towers from RBH.

They had that blank look on their faces, saying, "Who's RBH? I never heard of them. Is that an American company?" :D

I told them that RBH loudspeakers are like ATI amps - one of the few best damn kept American secrets. ;)

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The only speaker left is the Orion. But it may take years to sell or may never unless I take a 65-70% loss, which I'm not willing to do. At least I can brag that it has real genuine solid mahogany wood, instead of veneer like most speakers. And the Orion is actively QUAD-amp, which is also unique. So the RBH is actively bi-amped, and the Orion is actively quad-amped. :D

I may just have RBH + Linkwitz. At least it's not like having 10 different sets of speakers as before. Everyone knows that is truly insane. :eek:

Oh, I've heard the RBH T2 (standard, non-reference version) before I bought the Salon2, 802D2, Orion, 201/2, Phil3. They were amazingly mellifluous back then when I first heard them. In terms of sound quality, I wholehearted believed the RBH T2 was the best speakers for me compared to everything else. But I just couldn't live with that boxy square look of the old classic series. If the SX curved cabinets were introduced back then, it might have saved me a ton of money and time. :D

One of my wife's female cousins just got married this last Saturday. So this weekend was family party get-together time. My wife's uncles asked me, "So whatever happened to your B&W, Revel, KEF, and those red 'pyramid' looking speakers (Phil3)?

I told them I sold them all and getting 61" big tall towers from RBH.

They had that blank look on their faces, saying, "Who's RBH? I never heard of them. Is that an American company?" :D

I told them that RBH loudspeakers are like ATI amps - one of the few best damn kept American secrets. ;)
You know having a RBH + Linkwitz speaker combo is not a bad thing, it's rather cool... :cool: . What you say is true, there are a lot of audio companies that are best kept secrets and that allows a lot of people to enjoy some rather nice quality and sound at the same time for a lot less than the BIG manufactures.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i tell you what though. it's been mentioned before but for the interested outsider that web site is one convoluted jumbled mess. two million speakers with two million configurations and they all have almost exactly the same names. and look the same. :eek: not helping their cause any.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
i tell you what though. it's been mentioned before but for the interested outsider that web site is one convoluted jumbled mess. two million speakers with two million configurations and they all have almost exactly the same names. and look the same. :eek: not helping their cause any.
I think people usually complain about NOT having enough options, not too many options. For example, Revel Ultima has only 2 veneers. B&W Diamond has 3 veneers. RBH has 30 veneers. :D

RBH basically has 3 types of systems.

1. In-walls
2. Home Theater/Home Stereo
3. Pro-Cinema for professional theaters and such

So the majority of the speakers are in Home Theater/ Home Stereo category. Here they have the Classic series, SX series, MC (budget HT), and CTX (small 5.1 type).

Most of the time, audiophiles would be interested in the Classic series and SX series. The Classic is very boxy square looking, while the SX series have that nice curved cabinets. So really, most of the time, audiophiles would be interested in the SX-series.

The SX series basically have 3 types of speakers: The Modular tower (T2, T3), single cabinet tower (6300 & 8300), and bookshelf & center (61, 661, 661C).

The SX series (like the Classic Series) have 2 versions - Standard and Reference. The Reference gets the upgraded reference drivers, but same cabinets and crossovers.

And then they make passive subwoofers, active subwoofers, and in-wall types.

I guess some companies believe in a few options, while RBH believe in a lot of options. :D

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Oh so my EMPTEKS get me into an owners thread! I really enjoy my E5bi book shelves and my E5ci. so much so that i was considering purchasing the larger E55ti's. I even have the good graces from my wife because they are such an attractive speaker. Now Im pretty sure im going to invest that
700 on an SVS cylinder sub. However being that I am so enamored with my emp's I may look at a higher end RBH SX series book shelf speaker later on to replace them. Of coarse that means getting caught up in the never satisfied, constantly upgrading, life of an audiophile, and I dont want that.
ATDG: you seem to be a pretty knowledgeable guy on speaker cone materials... can you explain to me what an "Aluminized Poly-matrix Woofer" is? That is what EMP uses to describe the 5 1/4 inch driver on my speaker.. when I pull the grill off it almost looks like a paper cone reinforced with chicken wire.. :p

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
However being that I am so enamored with my emp's I may look at a higher end RBH SX series book shelf speaker later on to replace them.
You know you want the SX-8300 towers.

ATDG: you seem to be a pretty knowledgeable guy on speaker cone materials... can you explain to me what an "Aluminized Poly-matrix Woofer" is? That is what EMP uses to describe the 5 1/4 inch driver on my speaker.. when I pull the grill off it almost looks like a paper cone reinforced with chicken wire.. :p

I'm not ATDG, but basically, the matrix part refers to the rough pattern on the cone material. The poly part refers to the plastic (it's not paper) used. Poly as a cone material is generally easy to use in a less expensive speaker as it has less prominant of a breakup peak. However the tradeoff with Poly is going to be that the cone breakup is a low Q / wide bandwidth sort which bleeds into the audible range of the speaker (i.e. it reduces the "detail-retrieval"). By anodizing with Aluminum ("Aluminized") they can probably increase the detail to more closely resemble a true metal cone.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the info EV. damn straight i want the 8300. I notice you use a marantz receiver. I just upgraded to an nr 1504... It definitely sounds different then my old harmon kardon, but the warm sound really has grown on me. Almost as satisfied with it as I am my EMPs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ATDG: you seem to be a pretty knowledgeable guy on speaker cone materials...
No, I'm just known for buying a lot of audio stuffs. :D

Guys like GranteedEV, TLS Guy, PENG, etc., are the knowledgeable ones when it comes to audio.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
No, I'm just known for buying a lot of audio stuffs. :D

Guys like GranteedEV, TLS Guy, PENG, etc., are the knowledgeable ones when it comes to audio.
Oh crap. No wonder I keep buying stuff. All my info and knowledge is from you.;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh crap. No wonder I keep buying stuff. All my info and knowledge is from you.;)
Yeah, but then you go and buy an analog stereo preamp in this high-tech digital day and age, instead of a pre-pro. :eek: :D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
You think that's bad. Go look at the PM I just sent you.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I have a Bellari tube headphone amp and it sounds better than any other SS amp on my Beyerdynamic T1's.. That's a different story however. I will most likely keep my HT/Living room separate from my dedicated music room since music is my thing. In fact I will soon have a huge collection of original records heading my way from my wife's mom and dad. I don't own a turntable either. So I will be researching the crap out of those too. The RBH speakers are going to get a lot of time over the next year.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a Bellari tube headphone amp and it sounds better than any other SS amp on my Beyerdynamic T1's.. That's a different story however. I will most likely keep my HT/Living room separate from my dedicated music room since music is my thing. In fact I will soon have a huge collection of original records heading my way from my wife's mom and dad. I don't own a turntable either. So I will be researching the crap out of those too. The RBH speakers are going to get a lot of time over the next year.
Sounds like a good plan!

Yeah, right now the only speakers I have are the Orion. But after I get those 5 RBH towers, the Orion will feel very neglected; I may listen to them once or twice a year. :D

The RBH will be getting all the "Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone" time. :D

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Sounds like a good plan!
And I am looking to bi amp these 6300's too since I want to tone down the bass as well. Never would I have ever guessed that I would be saying that about a tower speaker. How the heck did RBH Sound get so much bass in this tower. This is a positive, not a negative.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis