RBH Sound Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This thread is for discussion of RBH products. Please share your experiences and comments. I have included some RBH product reviews and pricing.

I have wondered about the drivers used in the RBH Reference speakers.

So here they are:

1. Tweeter - Scan-Speak 9500 Silk Dome
2. Midrange - RBH 165-FPN Cast Aluminum
3. Woofer - RBH ALU200-IDCN Cast Aluminum

FPN = Phase Plug Non-shielded
IDCN = Inverted Dust-Cap Non-shielded

Here are the links to all the Status Acoustics, RBH, and EMP reviews.

Status Acoustics Reviews

Status Acoustics Decimo Review | Audioholics

Status Acoustics Voce Fina Bookshelf Speaker Review | Audioholics

Status Acoustics Titus 8T Floorstanding Speaker System Review | Audioholics

Status Acoustics 8T Loudspeaker System Review | Audioholics

RBH Reviews

RBH Sound T-30LSE Signature Tower System Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound T-2 Signature Series Tower Speaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound Signature Reference 8300-SE/R Loudspeaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound SX-6300/R Tower Speaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound SX-61/R Bookshelf Speakers Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound Signature 61-SE Loudspeaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound TK-5CT Floorstanding Speaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound WM-24, WM-30, FM-45 M Series Loudspeaker System Review | Audioholics

RBH CinemaSITE Custom Home Theater System Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound TK-5C Bookshelf Speaker System Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound MC-6C Bookshelf Speaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound Signature SE/R Series Review | Audioholics

RBH Signature Series 41-SE Speaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound SX-1212P/R Subwoofer Review | Audioholics

http://hometheaterreview.com/rbh-sx-1212pr-powered-subwoofer-reviewed/?page=2

RBH Sound SX-12 Subwoofer Review with Measurements | Audioholics

RBH Sound SX-10/R and S-10 Subwoofers Review | Audioholics

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...speaker-system

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...round-3500-rbh

https://rbhsound.com/hometheater0798.php

EMP Reviews

EMP E55Ti Tower / E56Ci Center / E55WI Surround & ES1010i Subwoofer Review | Audioholics

EMPtek Impression E55Ti Floorstanding Speaker System Review | Audioholics

EMP Tek Impression Series E5TiR Floorstanding Loudspeaker Review | Audioholics

EMP Tek EF50T Speaker System Review | Audioholics

EMPtek ES1010i Subwoofer Review | Audioholics

RBH MSRP:
SX-T1 $5,200
SX-T1/R $7,500
SX-T2N $8,000
SX-T2P $9,800
SX-T2N/R $12,000
SX-T2P/R $13,700
SX-T3N $10,600
SX-T3P $14,200
SX-T3N/R $16,000
SX-T3P/R $19,700
SX-44 $1,200
SX-44/R $2,500
SX-441C $600 each
SX-441C/R $1,000 each
SX-66 $1,679
SX-66/R $3,079
SX-61 $1,200
SX-61/R $1,900
SX-661 $1,800
SX-661/R $2,700
SX-661C $900 each
SX-661C/R $1,350 each
SX-6100C $2,600 each
SX-6100C/R $3,750 each
SX-6300 $2,750
SX-6300/R $3,280
SX-8300 $5,000
SX-8300/R $5,900
SX-88 $1,000
SX-10 $900
SX-10/R $1,300
SX-12 $1,100
SX-12/R $1,600
SX-1010N $1,200 (passive subwoofer)
SX-1010P $1,900
SX-1010N/R $2,000 (reference passive subwoofer)
SX-1010P/R $2,800
SX-1212N $1,450 (passive subwoofer)
SX-1212P $2,300
SX-1212N/R $2,430 (reference passive subwoofer)
SX-1212P/R $5,300
S-8 $479
S-10 $529
S-12 $700
SI-740/R $919 each
SI-740 $549 each
SI-760/R $1,245 each
SI-760 $1,035 each
SI-770/R $1,150 each
SI-770 $699 each
SI-744 $840 each
SI-663/R $2,360 each
SI-663 $1,540 each
SI-6100/R $3,580 each
SI-6100 $2,370 each
SI-10 $608
SI-10P $1,367
SI-12 $700
SI-12P $1,459
SI-1010 $1,050
SI-1010P $2,019
MC-4C $529/pr
MC-44C $729/pr
MC-6C $899/pr
MC-616C $599 each
MC-6CT $1,449/pr
SA-250DSP 250W/4 ohms sub amp w/ DSP $759
SA-500DSP 500W/4 ohms sub amp w/DSP $969

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Great idea to start this thread. There isn't enough information out there on these speakers and the website isn't overly informative either.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Driver information, cabinet construction, crossover parts, and finish options.... come on ADTG. Andrew step it up for a thread starter :p

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
The 9500 is an awesome tweeter.
I have the Usher 9950 in my MTM's which is a decent clone of the 9500.
Couldn't find find any reasonably sized standmount DIY designs using the 9500 though, so I went with the Usher's
Fritz uses them in his Carbon 7. Nice speaker.
Cheers, Mac
Edit; who make their mids and woofs?
Made an offer on a pair of 61's that were a prototype with the berylium midwoofs a while back from a dealer in OK.
850 wasn't enough :(

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Driver information, cabinet construction, crossover parts, and finish options.... come on ADTG. Andrew step it up for a thread starter :p
What? Oh, C'mon. I just found out the 2 other drivers used on the SX Reference towers. You can't even find that on any other reviews out there! :D

I shall say a few more things (actually repeat a few more things :D) after I have my five SX-T2P/R towers. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Edit; who make their mids and woofs?
Midrange - RBH 165-FPN Cast Aluminum
Woofer - RBH ALU200-IDCN Cast Aluminum

RBH makes their own midrange and woofer. The parts number are 165-FPN and ALU200-IDCN, respectively.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Great idea to start this thread. There isn't enough information out there on these speakers and the website isn't overly informative either.
Yea their website is prety weak unfortunately. I hope that changes after CEDIA to line up with their new exciting announcements.

N

nogaro

Full Audioholic
Yea their website is prety weak unfortunately. I hope that changes after CEDIA to line up with their new exciting announcements.
Are they coming out with an ADTG model?
It'll be great to have some detailed information on their speakers and finishes online.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are they coming out with an ADTG model?
It'll be great to have some detailed information on their speakers and finishes online.
Ha, ha. Very funny. :D

I am sure their new speakers will be nice.

What anyone will mostly mention here is probably a reiteration of what Gene and other members have written in the RBH reviews or other threads. But it's nice to have just one place to go to for all the RBH info.

Obviously, I love any speakers for their great sound quality. I like sound that is crystal clear, detailed, and extremely dynamic, with majestic soundstage, precise imaging, and powerful, punchy, musical bass. So beyond that, there are some differences among the different brands – measurement, cabinet design, and crossover design.

One example is speaker measurements. We know certain companies believe in accurate, linear, and smooth frequency responses. RBH believes in making these types of speakers.

Another feature is the modular cabinet design. Some companies use only single cabinet designs, some use modular, and some use a little of both. I love the modular design simply for one reason - it allows me to own a big 120lbs tower in two 60lbs sections that are less unwieldy. Join the 2 modular sections together and you have one massive 120lbs tower with almost unlimited dynamics. :D

But equivocally the most intriguing and perhaps puzzling and refreshingly simple feature to me is the crossover link between the bass and the mid/treble of the RBH towers. Whether it is the modular tower or the single cabinet tower, when you remove the jumper cables on these RBH, the bass and the mid/treble become 2 separate speakers. Most single cabinet towers from different brands are not like this. Removing the jumpers on most bi-wire towers does not guarantee that the bass and the mid/treble are completely separated. They are often only partially separated. But with RBH towers, they become 2 completely separate speakers. Thus, each RBH tower can truly be actively bi-amped, not passively bi-amped like most passive towers.

I am sure there are pros and cons to every design and each designer has his own preference. But I prefer the RBH design. Why? When I first think of owning 5 full range towers, it seems very promising to me. It seems like 5 subwoofers (each tower = 1 smaller sub) around the room to smooth the bass and increase output. But then I realize that only the front Left and Right speakers will get the LFE bass in most cases. The Center tower and especially the Surround towers will usually never get any LFE. So the bass in these are often "wasted" IMO because they would go to the front Left and Right and Subwoofer. But since I can output LFE to each of the RBH tower (removing the jumpers and using external amp to ACTIVELY bi-amp), 5 full range towers do mean 5 subwoofers around the room.
<O:p</O:p
Of course, you also have the option of using the RBH towers (single cabinet or modular) as a passive tower like any other passive tower out there. And this route may be preferable to some guys. But at least we have the option.
So the 3 features I love about RBH is the accurate and smooth frequency response, modular tower design (that still looks like 1 tower) and the active bi-amp design. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I'm a proud owner of these wonderful speakers. Thanks for starting the thread.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, so how does a guy control the bass on the towers like the SX-6300 or SX-8300?

Let's say you have an AT2002 2Ch amp and Parasound P5 preamp with Subwoofer output (LFE) and a pair of SX-6300/R. :D

This is one way.

You would need an extra amp and the LFE signal that would normally go to the sub in a 2.1 setup.

The extra amp could be any spare amp, preferably with volume control like a sub amp such as the Dayton SA230 ($200) from Parts Express. This amp can power both tower's bass if you wire in series. Otherwise, you would need 1 amp for each tower.

Dayton Audio SA230 230W Subwoofer Amplifier

1. Remove the jumper cables on your SX-6300.
2. Connect the speaker cables from the AT2002 to the TOP speaker binding posts of the SX-6300.
3. Connect the LFE output from your Parasound P5 to the LFE input of the Dayton SA230 amp.
4. Connect the speaker output of the Dayton SA230 amp to the BOTTOM speaker binding posts of the SX-6300.

Now you have actively bi-amped the SX-6300. You control the bass amount of the SX-6300 with the Dayton volume knob.

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Okay, so how does a guy control the bass on the towers like the SX-6300 or SX-8300?

Let's say you have an AT2002 2Ch amp and Parasound P5 preamp with Subwoofer output (LFE) and a pair of SX-6300/R. :D

This is one way.

You would need an extra amp and the LFE signal that would normally go to the sub in a 2.1 setup.

The extra amp could be any spare amp. It could be an ATI amp or something much less expensive like the Dayton SA230 ($200) from Parts Express. This amp can power both tower's bass if you wire in series. Otherwise, you would need 1 amp for each tower.

Dayton Audio SA230 230W Subwoofer Amplifier

1. Remove the jumper cables on your SX-6300.
2. Connect the speaker cables from the AT2002 to the TOP speaker binding posts or the SX-6300.
3. Connect the LFE output from your Parasound P5 to the LFE input of the Dayton SA230 amp.
4. Connect the speaker output of the Dayton SA230 amp to the BOTTOM speaker binding posts of the SX-6300.

Now you have actively bi-amped the SX-6300. You control the bass amount of the SX-6300 with the Dayton volume knob.

That is really cool. And thanks a bunch for this information. This would come in handy for a little less or more bass if called upon.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
This thread needs Pics. Need to take a recent picture of my set up now that I am done.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This thread needs Pics. Need to take a recent picture of my set up now that I am done.
Nice set up but depending on the distance your sitting away from those speakers, you should consider spreading them further apart. It will really open up the sound.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I will also post pics once my new RBH system is up. :D

My front L & R towers will be about 8 ft apart.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Another feature is the modular cabinet design. Some companies use only single cabinet designs, some use modular, and some use a little of both. I love the modular design simply for one reason - it allows me to own a big 120lbs tower in two 60lbs sections that are less unwieldy. Join the 2 modular sections together and you have one massive 120lbs tower with almost unlimited dynamics.
:D

The modular design cabinet I think is a great feature. That's one of the main reasons I bought my Evo-2's

Last edited by a moderator:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Here are the links to all the Status Acoustics, RBH, and EMP reviews.

Status Acoustics Reviews

Status Acoustics Decimo Review | Audioholics

Status Acoustics Voce Fina Bookshelf Speaker Review | Audioholics

Status Acoustics Titus 8T Floorstanding Speaker System Review | Audioholics

Status Acoustics 8T Loudspeaker System Review | Audioholics

RBH Reviews

RBH Sound T-30LSE Signature Tower System Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound T-2 Signature Series Tower Speaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound Signature Reference 8300-SE/R Loudspeaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound SX-6300/R Tower Speaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound SX-61/R Bookshelf Speakers Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound Signature 61-SE Loudspeaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound TK-5CT Floorstanding Speaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound WM-24, WM-30, FM-45 M Series Loudspeaker System Review | Audioholics

RBH CinemaSITE Custom Home Theater System Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound TK-5C Bookshelf Speaker System Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound MC-6C Bookshelf Speaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound Signature SE/R Series Review | Audioholics

RBH Signature Series 41-SE Speaker Review | Audioholics

RBH Sound SX-12 Subwoofer Review with Measurements | Audioholics

RBH Sound SX-10/R and S-10 Subwoofers Review | Audioholics

EMP Reviews

EMP E55Ti Tower / E56Ci Center / E55WI Surround & ES1010i Subwoofer Review | Audioholics

EMPtek Impression E55Ti Floorstanding Speaker System Review | Audioholics

EMP Tek Impression Series E5TiR Floorstanding Loudspeaker Review | Audioholics

EMP Tek EF50T Speaker System Review | Audioholics

EMPtek ES1010i Subwoofer Review | Audioholics

Interesting are there no other RBH reviews in any other mag or site except for those listed on Audioholics ? Where is the rest of the story ?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Nice set up but depending on the distance your sitting away from those speakers, you should consider spreading them further apart. It will really open up the sound.
I need to post a new pic. They are sitting about 7 feet apart now. Thanks Gene.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis