Rava sub - thinking about a replacement.

C

Chessie

Enthusiast
While moving furniture around last night for new floors, I realized how dang heavy my old Adire Audio Rava sub is. (65 pounds!) And it's not small, I mean not huge, but it takes up some space. About 18x18x18. At the time I bought this sub (2002 I think) it was one of the best values going. It was $399. It's a 12" sealed sub in a black oak cabinet. Very nice looking too. Quite honestly I don't even remember the whys of why it was so good...I just did some research, bought it, and it's still kicking butt. But, it's HEAVY. And a PITA to move around. SO I simply started wondering if, this being nearly 20 years later, if I can get something as good (or better) in a smaller footprint.

Specs are as follows:

Drivers: One 12"

Amplifier: 250 Watts

MFR: 27 Hz - 160 Hz - 3 dB

THD: < 3% at 95 dB

Dimensions: 18" H x 18" W x 18" D

Weight: 65 Pounds

Any thoughts? My reciver is an Onkyo TX-NR709. and I have just two mains - Paradigm mini-monitors. The sub manual is attached.

Thanks a bunch, in advance!

Attachments

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What's the size and volume of your room that's the most important thing and what's the budget?

And truthfully your sub is pretty small as it is and very light at 65 lb

This is smaller and lighter and performs better

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Mazer for the win!
Imo 65lbs isn’t bad. But to each his own. I believe the PC2K pro would handily outperform the RAVA(which I’ve never heard of) in every way. Last I looked, the non pro version was sitting at 699.

C

Chessie

Enthusiast
What's the size and volume of your room that's the most important thing and what's the budget?

And truthfully your sub is pretty small as it is and very light at 65 lb

This is smaller and lighter and performs better

Budget is no more than $400.
Room is a living room - maybe 20 x 18.

65 pounds is heavy to me. Nearly impossible to move. $900 is a no go, but thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The PC subs from SVS are quite light for the performance, plus the small footprint....can't think of any others that would compete in those respects. A birch ply sub would generally weigh less than a sub made from mdf (and JTR comes to mind for a ply build). 65lbs isn't bad, one of mine weighs 120....I use a dolly to move it. Personally unless you want more extension (lower response) I'd stick with what you've got and just find a good place for it and leave it there :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The best $400 sub I can think of is the RSL Speedwoofer 10s....40 lbs, too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you’re hard limit is 400, I’d look at a pair of sub1200 from Dayton audio/parts express at 150 each. The PC2k is much better than either the Dayton’s, or the rava in output, extension and linearity but...
Also, that’s a big room for a sealed sub. I would personally move on.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't disagree but doesn't seem he's been unhappy with his current sub aside from weight otoh. $400 is limiting, tho.
True. He might just keep the one he has, but imo it’s too small/sealed and there IS interest. So I’m gonna try and enable.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Budget is no more than $400.
Room is a living room - maybe 20 x 18.

65 pounds is heavy to me. Nearly impossible to move. $900 is a no go, but thanks.
OK here you go. Get yourself 2 of these. You have a large room. Your not going to shatter any windows but your get better performance then your Sub. Under 65lbs and smaller footprint

And under Budget

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis