Raspberry Pi Audiophile Streamer, Kodi Streamer, Arcade Cabinet, Etc!!!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I wanted to start a general Raspberry Pi thread, after I did a couple new projects this weekend. This is a heck of a computer for a little $, and the online support is awesome, and the software is all open source!

So, I had previously used RPi 2 to build an arcade emulator cabinet running Emulation Station, and I am quite please with the results on that! You can find that thread here on AH.

This weekend, I completed a Kodi Streamer for the bedroom. Very simple to set up, install, and configure. I can control the Kodi streamer with my Cell Phone over my WiFi connection! I can even use my phone's mic to convert voice to text, then send the text to the Kodi streamer. Also, if your TV has CEC or any of the brand names of CEC, then you can control the Pi Kodi Streamer with your TV remote out of the box, no extra config required! The openelec seems to be the most common OS to run, but I chose OSMC after reading up on each.

Next, I started a longer-term project: An Audiophile Music Streamer running Runeaudio software. This was also very simple! You don't even need a monitor! Once you image the SD card, you must hook it up to your network via ethernet for the first time, then you log into it from a phone or laptop via a simple web interface, then you can set up the Wifi.

I did that, then I hooked it up via USB directly to my Emotiva XDA-1 DAC, and I now have an audiophile streamer! It can read local media from a USB stick, or it can stream from the network, and it is all controlled via laptop or cellphone via Wifi!

Next up, I'm looking into adding a dedicated Pi DAC using the I2S connections. This is a more direct path to the DAC, and this is the same setup you would see internal to CD players or other devices feeding bits to the DAC. Then, I can look at building this all out into its own chassis!

Likely the biggest improvement to be had here is to build a linear power supply and ditch the SMPS that are ubiquitous for runing the Pi. Not too difficult, and I likely already have all the parts and components left over from previous projects. I even have a couple of LM3886 Amp PCBs completed and tested that I could use to make an all in one streamer/pre/amp! Or, a streamer directly connected to powered speakers would be a slick setup here. Other future considerations would be to make it portable and add a headphone amp.

Anyway, that's where I stand today on the RPi! These computers are awesome, incredibly versatile, user friendly, cheap, and have an awesome support community. If you have any interest at all in DIY electronics, these are a perfect place to start!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I got my Pi audio streamer now configured to stream files from computers connected to my network, and I got my webradio set up for Somafm.

So far, that all works flawlessly and sounds very good being fed to my XDA-1 via USB.

I could not seem to get Wefunk web radio to connect correctly, I'll have to work on that one some more.

I also want to figure out how to stream music straight from the SD card, haven't done that yet but can easily mount and stream from a USB stick.

Next up, I may look into dual-booting so that I can choose Kodi or Runeaudio at boot up, to get some video streaming too. Also, future plans may be considering a small touchscreen interface.

I'm also in the planning stages of a proper regulated power supply for this project. I may end up shoving the whole thing into a cigar box for the chassis.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ordered a bunch of stuff for a rasberry pi 3. Hoping to replace my cable box now that I have HDhomerun. I'm on vacation so it should all be waiting for me when I get home.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Ordered a bunch of stuff for a rasberry pi 3. Hoping to replace my cable box now that I have HDhomerun. I'm on vacation so it should all be waiting for me when I get home.
Yup, I saw that in the other thread, I like that owl case.

I'm having some issues with my Lucid Labs I2S Pi DAC right now. I had been running Rune Audio, Pi connected to my Emo DAC via USB. I want to move to I2S DAC on the Pi, I don't care for USB connections and I want the flexibility that an analog out will offer.

Well, Rune Audio won't drive an I2S DAC on the Pi. So, I tried an image of Volumio2, but when it boots it doesn't go directly to the interface screen like it should, it makes me login, then I'm at a command prompt. I haven't spent a whole lot of time troubleshooting on it yet. I can always re-load Rune and go for it on the USB DAC until I get this worked out.

I did realize that I have a nice transformer that I scavenged that will make an excellent (ie overkill) PS for my Pi.

Dang, why such a large SD card? I guess you want a lot of local storage, but that typically isn't necessary.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, I saw that in the other thread, I like that owl case.

I'm having some issues with my Lucid Labs I2S Pi DAC right now. I had been running Rune Audio, Pi connected to my Emo DAC via USB. I want to move to I2S DAC on the Pi, I don't care for USB connections and I want the flexibility that an analog out will offer.

Well, Rune Audio won't drive an I2S DAC on the Pi. So, I tried an image of Volumio2, but when it boots it doesn't go directly to the interface screen like it should, it makes me login, then I'm at a command prompt. I haven't spent a whole lot of time troubleshooting on it yet. I can always re-load Rune and go for it on the USB DAC until I get this worked out.

I did realize that I have a nice transformer that I scavenged that will make an excellent (ie overkill) PS for my Pi.

Dang, why such a large SD card? I guess you want a lot of local storage, but that typically isn't necessary.
Mainly this Pi will be for replacing the cable box and will be running Kodi through openelec. When I finally get around to it I'll be moving my movie library over to a NAS so that I can also access that with the Pi via network.

All the Rune audio stuff is beyond me at this point because I just want the Pi for Kodi and maybe a few other things.

I got the larger storage just to play with some other programs that might be interesting in the future for another Pi down the road. Maybe some audio related things ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Mainly this Pi will be for replacing the cable box and will be running Kodi through openelec. When I finally get around to it I'll be moving my movie library over to a NAS so that I can also access that with the Pi via network.

All the Rune audio stuff is beyond me at this point because I just want the Pi for Kodi and maybe a few other things.

I got the larger storage just to play with some other programs that might be interesting in the future for another Pi down the road. Maybe some audio related things ;)
Yup, Pi + Kodi is an excellent choice! I have that set up in my B/R. I really like that CEC Protocol works right out of the box, so you can control Kodi with your TV remote assuming that it has CEC.

Also, download either Kore or Yatse (spelling?) remote control apps for your phone or tablet, then you can use those as a remote over wi-fi (some extra configs required, it's easy, search Youtube). My favorite part of the remote app is speaking to the phone for searches, the phone converts speech to text, then you can send it over to Kodi! Pretty dang slick.

One note--I used OSMC to load Kodi rather than openelec. Openelec seems to be the most popular. From what I read, OSMC seems to be a bit more user friendly--but it's funny because the stuff I read about OSMC is exactly what my Bro-in-law said about Openelec :confused:o_O So, I think that which one you use is just about a moot point, but I haven't done a direct comparison.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@slipperybidness Did you format your SD card when you got it? If so, did you use exfat or fat32 or something else?
It's been a while, so I don't remember for sure, but I don't think I had to format it, just image it. Maybe if your PC won't recognize it, you may need to format it first. I'm not familiar with exfat, most likely fat32.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It's been a while, so I don't remember for sure, but I don't think I had to format it, just image it. Maybe if your PC won't recognize it, you may need to format it first. I'm not familiar with exfat, most likely fat32.
I ended up with exfat and it seemed to work fine. I'm having some issues with the HDhomerun addon, but I can't seem to get to a certain menu that I could on the HTPC. Other than that, the rasberry Pi seems to be working great.

Do you ever turn it off? If so, how in the heck do you get it back on without unplugging the PS and plugging it back in?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I ended up with exfat and it seemed to work fine. I'm having some issues with the HDhomerun addon, but I can't seem to get to a certain menu that I could on the HTPC. Other than that, the rasberry Pi seems to be working great.

Do you ever turn it off? If so, how in the heck do you get it back on without unplugging the PS and plugging it back in?
I'm not familiar with the HDhomerun, so I can't help you there.

I never use the Kodi Power Down function, due to the problem you state of unplug/plug in.

I have the one in my bedroom and the one in my arcade cab hooked up on a power strip with a power switch for the entire strip, so I can power it down like that. But I usually just keep it running. For now, I just unplug my music streamer.

You can also get USB cables that have a built in switch.
https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Raspberry-Micro-Cable-Switch/dp/B00JU24Z3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468587902&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+cable+with+power+switch

You are probably from the old-school where you always want to "shut down your PC and not just pull the power plug", right? Well, that doesn't seem to be a problem on the Pi, just pulling the plug seems to be the norm, and I have done it hundreds of times with no problems or corruption yet.

IIRC, I think I've also seen an add-on module that will let you push a button that will take the pi through a shutdown procedure, but I would have to try to go dig around the internets to try to find that thing again (and I suspect it is a bit dubious anyway).

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not familiar with the HDhomerun, so I can't help you there.

I never use the Kodi Power Down function, due to the problem you state of unplug/plug in.

I have the one in my bedroom and the one in my arcade cab hooked up on a power strip with a power switch for the entire strip, so I can power it down like that. But I usually just keep it running. For now, I just unplug my music streamer.

You can also get USB cables that have a built in switch.
https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Raspberry-Micro-Cable-Switch/dp/B00JU24Z3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468587902&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+cable+with+power+switch

You are probably from the old-school where you always want to "shut down your PC and not just pull the power plug", right? Well, that doesn't seem to be a problem on the Pi, just pulling the plug seems to be the norm, and I have done it hundreds of times with no problems or corruption yet.

IIRC, I think I've also seen an add-on module that will let you push a button that will take the pi through a shutdown procedure, but I would have to try to go dig around the internets to try to find that thing again (and I suspect it is a bit dubious anyway).
I think I figured out the problem with HDhomerun. Seems like there's an issue with the current version of OpenELEC. I'll either be switching to the beta or to xbian. Not sure which though since it seems like both of those work fine with the current HDHR addon.

I don't really care if it never powers down, my only issue is that with the case that it is in, I'm worried about heat build up. Granted it does come with heat sinks that are attached to the high heat areas to dissipate things, but I'd rather power down or unplug just to be safe with the heat issue. I'll look into USB with the power switch simply just unplug.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the case. Looks great and was easy to put together.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think I figured out the problem with HDhomerun. Seems like there's an issue with the current version of OpenELEC. I'll either be switching to the beta or to xbian. Not sure which though since it seems like both of those work fine with the current HDHR addon.

I don't really care if it never powers down, my only issue is that with the case that it is in, I'm worried about heat build up. Granted it does come with heat sinks that are attached to the high heat areas to dissipate things, but I'd rather power down or unplug just to be safe with the heat issue. I'll look into USB with the power switch simply just unplug.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the case. Looks great and was easy to put together.
OK. Remember, I used OSMC instead of OpenELEC--you may want to try to read up on OSMC to see if it will get you around that HDHR problem.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

I really doubt that heat is gonna be much of an issue. Did you overclock it? Obviously, overclocking creates more heat.

IIRC, heatsinks are recommended for the 3. But for the 2, only needed if u overclock.

Anyway, I have my 2 overclocked, heatsinked, and shoved in a cabinet with LCD Dell Monitor and I've played it for hours on end with no issues.

EDIT--Next time I play for several hours, I'll have to open it up and get a reading with my IR Thermometer.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis