Radio Shack Component Video

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for your input! I went to my local TigerDirect warehouse store, but they didn't carry them (not a common item when you need more than 6 ft), so it looks like i'll have to order on-line.

Rats! I was hoping to get them now cuz my basement is progressing very quickly. Framing will be done tomorrow and the electrician is coming in this week. Well, worst comes to worst, I'll be installing conduits anyways...

At least I have control over scheduling, as I'm acting as the general contractor so I can tell the drywaller to come in when I'm ready.

Cheers!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yamaman said:
Thanks for your input! I went to my local TigerDirect warehouse store, but they didn't carry them (not a common item when you need more than 6 ft), so it looks like i'll have to order on-line.

Rats! I was hoping to get them now cuz my basement is progressing very quickly. Framing will be done tomorrow and the electrician is coming in this week. Well, worst comes to worst, I'll be installing conduits anyways...

At least I have control over scheduling, as I'm acting as the general contractor so I can tell the drywaller to come in when I'm ready.

Cheers!
If I remember you need video cable? Why not just get a cable TV video cable? It will work fine.

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
If I remember you need video cable? Why not just get a cable TV video cable? It will work fine.
I was thinking about that. So, is it just matter of buying RG-6 coax and connecting a F6(?) connector and adapter to an RCA plug?

Does this hold true for Subwoofer cable as well?

T

tsteves

Junior Audioholic
mtrycrafts
Interesting link - ABX.
Who sells 120V 16ga power extension cables with RCA connectors?
Also 1 "listener"? Not much of a test. "The TV monitor was a Heathkit GR-2000 modified for Y/C and composite inputs"
Not impressive.
If the guy wants to buy a 25 foot component video cable for under $30 he's not exactly breaking the bank! I would rather spend $30 than solder. Nasty business.
The CATV cable is stiff as hell, you have to bundle three and then you have to find F to RCA connectors. PITA.
mtrycrafts - I nominate you the King of cheap! (no offense)

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
LOL- well, we all do the best we can. But yes, it may not be the most preferred method of getting video at >25 ft.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

tsteves said:
mtrycrafts
Interesting link - ABX.
Who sells 120V 16ga power extension cables with RCA connectors?
Also 1 "listener"? Not much of a test. "The TV monitor was a Heathkit GR-2000 modified for Y/C and composite inputs"
Not impressive.
If the guy wants to buy a 25 foot component video cable for under $30 he's not exactly breaking the bank! I would rather spend $30 than solder. Nasty business.
The CATV cable is stiff as hell, you have to bundle three and then you have to find F to RCA connectors. PITA.
If I got offended by what people post, I would not be a legen on the boards :D
The skin effect is pretty good :D

No one sells 120V 16ga power cords with RCA ;)

No one else was interested in the test. Maybe you could set one up with a modern TV? :p

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yamaman said:
I was thinking about that. So, is it just matter of buying RG-6 coax and connecting a F6(?) connector and adapter to an RCA plug?

Does this hold true for Subwoofer cable as well?
Sure, why would it not hold for subs. The low frequency is the easiest to send next to DC.

Yes, you can use that F to RCA adapter. easy.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

By the way,

You can always spend more :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

one more

If you have extra disposable $$$ just hanging around, I will send you an address to send some of it :D

T

tsteves

Junior Audioholic
mtrycrafts
Regarding king of cheap - I really did mean that in a positive way!
Inventiveness is a very good thing. Especially in emergencies.
I do think that the cheap cables with pressed metal shield contacts on rca connectors are a problem waiting to happen. They always go bad, and you need to go behind your rack and reinsert or jiggle connectors to get things right again, temporarily. Give me a nice chunky looking rca connector with nice solid contact and a better gold plating and I won't have to mess with it until I replace it.
You are right that subwoofer cables are not rocket sceince. Putting some F-RCA adapters on an rg6 will do the job. I still would rather use a copper cable, since most CATV cable is copper over steel, I don't like it myself. Componant video, especially if you may use it for HD should be good 75 ohm copper cable with decent connectors. You may be able to do it otherwise, but I don't think it's a "connect it and forget about it" type of thing. I loathe messing with cables behind my rack. I am too old I guess, bad back, knees and ankles. I'll get the cheap cables and send you the money if you promise to come over and jiggle my cables when need be.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts
Regarding king of cheap - I really did mean that in a positive way!

Not to worry :D

I do think that the cheap cables with pressed metal shield contacts on rca connectors are a problem waiting to happen. They always go bad, and you need to go behind your rack and reinsert or jiggle connectors to get things right again, temporarily. Give me a nice chunky looking rca connector with nice solid contact and a better gold plating and I won't have to mess with it until I replace it.

I don't think anyone would want such a poorly made cable ;)

You are right that subwoofer cables are not rocket sceince. Putting some F-RCA adapters on an rg6 will do the job. I still would rather use a copper cable, since most CATV cable is copper over steel,

I don't like it myself. Componant video, especially if you may use it for HD should be good 75 ohm copper cable with decent connectors. You may be able to do it otherwise, but I don't think it's a "connect it and forget about it" type of thing. I loathe messing with cables behind my rack. I am too old I guess, bad back, knees and ankles. I'll get the cheap cables and send you the money if you promise to come over and jiggle my cables when need be.

If your component is that difficult to access, thanks but no thanks :D

There might be some good copper RG6 type cables out there. Radio Shack? I don't like to play with cables either. Time not well spent :)

Y

Yamaman

Junior Audioholic
Well, surpisingly enoughly enuff, I ended up buying Monster cable :eek: <gasp, egad>....wait, here me out. I got them for the price of Radio Shack cables; I was able to get a package deal with my InFocus Screenplay 4805 (which I got for $2050.00 CDN - whoohoo).

Now to just get this basement finished....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yamaman said:
Well, surpisingly enoughly enuff, I ended up buying Monster cable :eek: <gasp, egad>....wait, here me out. I got them for the price of Radio Shack cables; I was able to get a package deal with my InFocus Screenplay 4805 (which I got for $2050.00 CDN - whoohoo).

Now to just get this basement finished....

Nothing wrong with Monster when the price is right :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis