C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
It's been a while since I've last posted here. I have a frustrating problem at the office. I have a nice little Yamaha desktop system & cannot for the life of me get a clean radio signal on my preferred station (it's a college-band public station). I recently got move into the current office & when the radio was all that was hooked up, I got a nice clean signal using the old Terk pi antenna. Now that the PC & it's UPS are in and hooked up I cannot eliminate the static. I've even tried a Terk FMPRO monster, it improves things but doesn't solve them. Everything is plugged into a single power circuit, no choice there.

I am fairly certain it's noise from the UPS--anything out there to help with that? TIA

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
claudermilk said:
It's been a while since I've last posted here. I have a frustrating problem at the office. I have a nice little Yamaha desktop system & cannot for the life of me get a clean radio signal on my preferred station (it's a college-band public station). I recently got move into the current office & when the radio was all that was hooked up, I got a nice clean signal using the old Terk pi antenna. Now that the PC & it's UPS are in and hooked up I cannot eliminate the static. I've even tried a Terk FMPRO monster, it improves things but doesn't solve them. Everything is plugged into a single power circuit, no choice there.

I am fairly certain it's noise from the UPS--anything out there to help with that? TIA

Is this an FM station? Have you tried other antennas? Dipole wire antenna?

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Check the web!

A lot of college stations stream their programming over the internet, so perhaps the source of your problem may be your solution.

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
Well, got it solved--as is usual when I post a question. :rolleyes: Yes, I added a dipole (the Terk monster) which helps. I also was able to swap the Belkin UPS for an APC UPS--problems solved; so the Belkin UPS makes all kinds of noise that gets transmitted across the power circuit (it and the radio and antenna power are all on one circuit). Streaming audio is a no go here--I discovered & enjoyed it a few years ago, then all the engineering department discovered it and killed our internet connection, so word came down no more streaming feeds. :mad:

Thanks for the suggestions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis