Rack mounting? AVRak/MA alternatives? DIY?

H

HTnewbie

Junior Audioholic
For better or worse, I have to install equipment in a built-in entertainment unit. I will be similar to a high-end California Closet style with wood veneer, adjustable shelves, etc. I am having them do special cut outs for running cables, access to jack panels on walls and ventilation.

My question is whether I should just place equipment on the adjustable shelves or install a rack mounting system. My key concern is ease of cabling, access to connections, ventilation, etc. With an unlimited budget I would install an AVRak sliding and rotatable rack (www.avrak.com). Similarly, there is Middle Atlantic (http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/asr.htm). However, at $700-1,000 for a six shelf solution, that is alot to spend for convenience given this installation.

Is anyone familiar with a more modest rack system that slides out and rotates? Has anyone done a DIY project to accomplish the same thing? I am handy enough to conjure using a fixed rack mount mounted on a slide-out tray which uses four heavy duty sliders.

Generically, the equipment that needs to be accomodated includes:

AV receiver
DVD player
DVD/VCR combo player
HD cable box/DVR
CD changer
Power conditioner (likely)
Tivo (maybe)
OTA HD tuner (future?)
Universal disc player (future)

Thanks.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Well, it all depends on where you want to put your equipment. When I have installed, one of my top priorities was trying to convince people to put equipment so it backs to a closet, or in a closet where rear access was available and the rack didn't need to be moved or turned or anything.

If you can do that, then you should be able to provide better ventilation and when things are wired, you can just go behind the rack to get at the equipment.

A good deal of the price for a Mid-Atlantic rack is in the custom rack faces that will be about 120 bucks a shot or so. That cost will remain the same no matter what you pay for the rack. I use Mid-Atlantic and will likely just use rack rail for a few pieces that will be located in my family room theater area. The rest of the gear will be located in a 42 space rack in the basement - including receiver, digital music server, cable box, tuner, amplfiers, and control equipment. If you can get the equipment OUT of the room, then it helps to streamline the room and make everything look a little bit nicer.

If you can...

H

HTnewbie

Junior Audioholic
Rear access would be great but not possible with my floorplan. This installation is a series of compromises so I have to cope.

I have open basement underneath and racking some equipment down there could be a solution which I have to ponder. I would make all the cable runs that much longer which leads to other issues (more compromising).

Maybe a solution is to just have the AV receiver on a sliding shelf since that is the one piece of equipment I will most likely be "touching" on a regular basis. Is that practical?

Still like the MA and AVrak gear.....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If most equipment is going in a living room and equipment can be located directly below it, then you can actually have a fair amount of it up high on shelves (regular wire shelving) side by side. Aesthetics becomes secondary and you may only have about 3 extra feet added to your cable length as the majority of equipment would only be a few feet under where your rack would normally live.

In my family room I (will) have a DVD, VCR, and PS2, and a connection point for video, component, and audio in a end-table. It keeps all equipment completely out of site and really cleans up the appearance of the room without any loss in video quality.

Just an idea to think about if you want to.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You might also want to check out Raxxess. Not sure about their prices, but I've worked with some of their stuff, and it's sturdy and nice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis