R-115sw next to two r-112sws

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
How much of an improvement is the pb16 ultra over the pb-4000? Would the sb16 ultra still be an improvement over the pb-4000?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How much of an improvement is the pb16 ultra over the pb-4000? Would the sb16 ultra still be an improvement over the pb-4000?
You can see for yourself in these reviews: PB-4000 and PB16-Ultra. The bottom line is that the PB16-Ultra has a fairly significant performance advantage from 20 Hz to 40 Hz, so more deep bass headroom.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Would a sb16 ultra still trump a pb-4000 in the lower region?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Would a sb16 ultra still trump a pb-4000 in the lower region?
Ok the SB16-Ultra would not have the deep bass output of the PB-4000. Its a smaller sealed subwoofer, and that design gives up a lot of deep bass headroom. If you are interested in deep bass, stay with ported subwoofers.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I figured I was hoping the flagship sealed version would compete with it. But nothing beats a well tuned ported sub I guess. I own a vtf2 mk5 and looking to upgrade. I’m happy with it but I am in upgrade mode right now.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Given that you didn't like the sound of the subs in the corners, PB-4000s would probably have been better for you anyway. The PC-2000's advantage is that they can be more evenly distributed around the room which might have made for a flatter response, but I think you prefer the sound of the subs in near-field. This probably gives them a bit more mid-bass at the expense of deep bass, so the subs might seem punchier instead of rumblier in your current position.
Actually I've moved the one on the left back to the front left corner it was the one on the right that was driving me crazy. In that right corner it was picking up way too much room gain. Having the one back right and the other front left sounds the best it sounds fantastic now. Very happy with this current setup

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis