E

eljoeo

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Why would my volume be at nearly half the level when playing a DVD as opposed to merely watching cable? &nbsp;I am using a Sherwood R-963 receiver, a Panasonic DVD S35 and Comcast cable. &nbsp;Any thoughts?</font>

<font color='#000080'>VERY common problem. Nobody pays attention to other people's line level/voltage regulation settings. There's no default scale or methodology, so this is a problem we'll have to live with.

This is also why I so highly praised Onkyo/Integra for their IntelliVolume circuit. You can raise and lower the starting point for each of the inputs on their receivers/processors to combat this problem. In your case, you woudl boost your cable or lower the DVD &quot;starting&quot; volume using IntelliVolume. More manufacturers ne3ed to clue into this. Alas, they may be too busy adding auto room-EQ and adding 3 and 4 zone outputs...

The real frustrating part is when you start to use &quot;digital&quot; cable boxes that need to be connected via analogue AND digital because only the upper channels are truly digital. There is a 10dB difference in analogue and digital channels on my SA box, and unless you want to set up a discreet input on your receiver for each, IntelliVolume can't even help this problem - yet.

[Edit: I may have switched your cable/DVD volume needs, but you get the idea]</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Let me guess
Motorola Box? Call Comcast and request a different box (upgrade)tell them the line out attenuation is unacceptable and that it may cause &nbsp;damage to your system because of the huge variance in volume settings for different inputs &nbsp;They should not charge you for this &nbsp;they want to sell you there service
If they give you the run around I would look at a Sat system &nbsp; As a custom installer I cant stand the cable companies &nbsp;they still have the attitude that they have the market monopoly &nbsp;yet there install product
from the Hub to the house barley meets minimum standards in most cases and is lower in others
plus the fact that cable causes more trouble in systems than any &nbsp;other component in a system
Ahhhhhhhhhh I feel better now

</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis