Questions reguarding Onkyo HT-S894

L

lestat0521

Audioholic Intern
I just purchased this system after doing some extensive research and found it to be a decent mid-priced unit for my condo. However i have run into a few issues that i cannot seem to find answers for myself, maybe you guys can help, here goes:

1) How in the world do you get above 480p on dvd movies? I have my dvd player that was included hooked up via HDMI to the receiver and then passed to my 37" vizio lcd and i can only get 480p at best, is this dvd issue or receiver or tv?

2) What crossover settings should i used for my speakers, i have them at 80 which i here is standard, and if that is so what should I put the LFE crossover to?

3)How do i get dolby digital output on dvd while they are playing? I only see it say PCM 48khz is this because of the hdmi or a setting? Should i hook up an optical cable as well has hdmi?

Thanks!

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
to answer #1, what kind of dvd player do you have?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The DVD player is a progressive scan player but not up-converting so 480p is the best you get out of it. To get DD sound you need to set the player to output bitstream in the player setup menu.

L

lestat0521

Audioholic Intern
the add mentioned up converting to component, can component do 1080i?

So in order to get better then 480p i have to get a better dvd player?

so i just purchased a htib that had a sub par dvd player?

Am i better off selling it and getting a better one? Or returning the system and getting a system that is cheaper with no dvd player and then buying a dvd player?

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Upconverting to component is called transcoding and is just changing from one video format to another - like composite video to component or component to HDMI.

Changing from 480p to 720p or 1080p is scaling. The TV is going to scale to its native resolution so you don't necessarily need a player to do it.

L

lestat0521

Audioholic Intern
hmmm, i have a vizio 37" and the highest resolution i have been able to obtain is 480p do i have to set something to get it to upscale any higher or is it source dependent?

doh, found an advanced setting in the dvd menu set the resolution to 1080i let me see if this fixes the issues.

--thanks fixed the 1080i issue, now back to the speaker questions, what can you guys tell me?

found this on amazon i guess it does up convert

"will take standard DVDs to high-definition quality by converting to 720p or 1080i through the High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)"

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis