Questions on upgrading my Home Theater

P

Philip

Enthusiast
Hello

I am new to this forum and am wondering if someone can help me. I have some questions regarding my speakers and such;

1. I currently have a RCA RT2500 Reciever (pdf Manual , specs on page 17 of 23) c/w the supplied RCA speakers. I am looking to slowly upgrade my home theater starting with the speakers. I am thinking of starting out buying a JBL Northridge E Series– EC25 center speaker. The speaker is 8 ohms while my current RCA reciever speakers are 6 ohms. Will using the new JBL 8 ohms speaker be OK? (I also plan of upgrade all the other speakers to JBL Northridge Series in the future)

2. To fit my reciever into the new TV stand I bought I need to cut a large hole (4.5" H x 15" L) in the TV stands back particle board to fit all the cables through (also the TV stand glass door doesn't close because the cable plugs cause the reciever too sit to far out). I dont really want a gapping hole in the back of my TV stand, does anyone know of a better solution, maybe some sort of plastic plate with holes or rubber fingers?

3. According to my recievers manual it has a monoaural output and a 3 ohm speaker cable connection for the subwoofer. Would I be able to use the JBL Northridge E Series– E150P powered subwoofer?

4. I also plan to upgrade my reciever in a year or two. Do you think I should first upgrade the reciever then the speakers? Or is my current plan ok?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
JVC

JVC

Banned
Your plan sounds ok.......shouldn't have any problems with what you are asking. I had the same kind of problems with my entertainment center. The glass doors wouldn't close, so I took them off. Doors are a hassle to deal with anyway!
I cut half the back, completely off. Still enough back there for the support it needs, and no problem now with wires. I also have plenty of air circulation now, with the back like that. Receivers and tvs need all the air circulation you can give them, to help them stay cooler.
Good luck!

BTW........
Welcome to the forum! :D

P

Philip

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply JVC. I am going to make a rubber backing with stripes cut out to cover the hole in my particle board. Hopefully it will look good.

After looking more into different speakers I ran across Axiom VP100 center speakers. They are about the same price as the JBL EC25 speakers I was looking at (about $10 less). Which one would give me the most bang?

If I went with an Axiom center speaker I would upgrade all my speakers to Axiom or vice versa for the JBL. Any recommendations, Axiom or JBL? BTW I am in Canada.

Thanks

JVC

JVC

Banned
Sorry........never heard Axioms. I have a JBL subwoofer, so I know they build quality products. I've heard JBL speakers in the stores, and they sound good. Back when I worked with a couple of bands, in the 60's, a LOT of band's speaker cabinets housed JBL speakers. They've been around a long time.
Good luck!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis