Questions on powering a Lexicon MC-8 V2

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Hey campers out there that fly Lexicon equipment, I have been very lucky to get a mint MC-8 with the version 2 upgrade. It’s the model with balanced and RCA....paid under $500. I guess that’s good deal.

Anyway, my power amps are being rebuilt so it’s going to be a while. What do y’all think about using the lexicon as the processing unit, then use a quality receivers 7.1 inputs for the speaker power? I have a really powerful Onkyo TX-NR905 (60.lbs) or my Pioneer VSX-59txi (was also a $4500 receiver, so it may be on par with the Lexicon).

not ideal, but want to play

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry in advance for a bit upcoming venting, hope you don't take it too harshly, but I'll try to explain your plan in car terms:

Hey fellow rich guys who could afford a Bentley. I have been very lucky to buy a mint Bentley Horse Carriage Model Mk2 for only $500 I guess that's good deal.

Anyway, my big-block engine is out getting rebuilt so it's going to be a while. What do y'all think about using my Bentley Horse Carriage and push it using a car? I have Merc S-class sedan from the 90s and a BMW 7 series from the 80s.

Also since I would not tell you about my tires (Speakers) - just assume that I have yet another 50 years old high-end model there. Edited out. OP has nice RBH T2 towers and other (looks like) nice speaker

Last edited:
C

CoryW

Audioholic
Sorry in advance for a bit upcoming venting, hope you don't take it too harshly, but I'll try to explain your plan in car terms:

Hey fellow rich guys who could afford a Bentley. I have been very lucky to buy a mint Bentley Horse Carriage Model Mk2 for only $500 I guess that's good deal.

Anyway, my big-block engine is out getting rebuilt so it's going to be a while. What do y'all think about using my Bentley Horse Carriage and push it using a car? I have Merc S-class sedan from the 90s and a BMW 7 series from the 80s.

Also since I would not tell you about my tires (Speakers) - just assume that I have yet another 50 years old high-end model there.
This works more accurately for my issue. I have a 890hp Ford Mustang. It will run great, but the zr rated tires are not in stock. But I have an old AC cobra that’s a bit older but way mean. Similar tires, but I want to know if anyone else has messed with this tire on the mustang because it may be untested. You see, I don’t want to wait a month before I at the very least, get a test drive in. This is just a reason to post picks of an $125k car at the local dealership. Everyone should have one.

Attachments

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
And once again, trying to have a bit of fun, I’m sorry I said anything. I guess using a $5k MOSFET flagship must qualify as a junker.
I think the analogy was to dated not junk per se. I'd just use the onkyo if it were me.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What I am trying to say that this quick quality but very outdated pre-amp isn't all that magical as you tend to believe. It's probably still a good choice to use in a stereo system with very high-quality speakers.
Both Onkyo and Pioneer were top of the line at the time. Onkyo is the newer one. In fact, I still have and enjoy it's smaller sibling - TX-SR805. Just use the Onkyo. Connect MC8 once you have your amps back.
Without support for any HDMI it could only so so much.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can use the avr either on its own, or as an amp if you want to use the new-to-you preamp....your system, do what you want. The electronics aren't that critical....

C

CoryW

Audioholic
What I am trying to say that this quick quality but very outdated pre-amp isn't all that magical as you tend to believe. It's probably still a good choice to use in a stereo system with very high-quality speakers.
Both Onkyo and Pioneer were top of the line at the time. Onkyo is the newer one. In fact, I still have and enjoy it's smaller sibling - TX-SR805. Just use the Onkyo. Connect MC8 once you have your amps back.
Without support for any HDMI it could only so so much.
I’m actually surprised why you want to route video through a receiver. My tv has all of the ability to send the raw stream into my amp. I have one fiber connection to my receiver. The input never has to be touched. It’s wife proof. Seems far more efficient.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m actually surprised why you want to route video through a receiver. My tv has all of the ability to send the raw stream into my amp. I have one fiber connection to my receiver. The input never has to be touched. It’s wife proof. Seems far more efficient.
Usually just for switching convenience. You can bypass it but why source any audio thru a tv at all?

C

CoryW

Audioholic

Also since I would not tell you about my tires (Speakers) - just assume that I have yet another 50 years old high-end model there.
Fifty year old? Hell no. The bookshelves are my own creation, using the outstanding beryllium 6.5” reference drivers used in the $25k Decimo and the latest ATM/RBH tweeter. They are freakishly flat and produce bass as though they have a sub. The other is just the RBH T2 reference stack...

Attachments

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, Fair enough. very nice (RBH I mean - I can't say anything about your DIY bookshelf) speakers. Is that a DIY sub?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's fine for streaming, cable/fios tv, few other sources, where it's not fine is 4k BluRay which specifically crippled vs this specific connectivity and it's forcefully downsampled to lesser quality streams

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah my view is that if you have an AVP, then use it if you have an amp.

If you have an AVP, an AVR, but no amp, then just use the AVR.

If you have an AVR, then just use the AVR by itself because you probably don’t need an amp.

And I would never use an AVR with an AVP since I wouldn’t even use an AVR with an amp.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
I think the analogy was to dated not junk per se. I'd just use the onkyo if it were me.
The Onkyo is really good for movies and what not, but it’s not a very smooth two channel amp for music. It has a kinda dry top end. My fav receiver I have enjoyed was my Nakamichi AV-10. RIP

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Ok, Fair enough. very nice (RBH I mean - I can't say anything about your DIY bookshelf) speakers. Is that a DIY sub?
It’s kinda cool. It’s one of the first RBH subs that had the black cone woofer. There is one on eBay right now. I picked it up from a guy for 40 bucks, then updated the woofer used in their current 12” subs. It sounded like crap for a month, but the suspension worked in, and it became a roof shaking beast. The bookshelf speakers were created from the huge b-stock/garage sale at RBH here in Layton. They have gobs of raw drivers from 4” reference to 10-12” woofers, new cabinets of every size and style, finished or unfinished. I’ve spent about $3.5k there, ended up with about $18k value had I bought from the show room. Sub amps, powered subs, built speaker sets. Never had so much fun tinkering.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Just a quick update. I’ve been using the Lexicon with several different amps It sounds marvelous. I’m a happy camper.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Hey campers out there that fly Lexicon equipment, I have been very lucky to get a mint MC-8 with the version 2 upgrade. It’s the model with balanced and RCA....paid under $500. I guess that’s good deal.

Anyway, my power amps are being rebuilt so it’s going to be a while. What do y’all think about using the lexicon as the processing unit, then use a quality receivers 7.1 inputs for the speaker power? I have a really powerful Onkyo TX-NR905 (60.lbs) or my Pioneer VSX-59txi (was also a $4500 receiver, so it may be on par with the Lexicon).

not ideal, but want to play
Just a quick update. The sound quality of this Lexicon in multi channel and stereo is stunning. I put in my old standby Yamaha ($1800 new) and after a few tracks it’s Laughable. It sounds thin and gritty in the top end. It’s not even close.

I’m using all RBH reference speakers in my 5.1. The quality of bass my 12” passive puts out now is really amazing. It’s bottomless and is so incredibly smooth. What a pleasure this setup is to listen to.

every home should have one

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Lexicon MC-8 should sound pretty good. It measures better than most AVRs: THD 0.026%, Crosstalk 90dB, SNR 120dB.

However, it’s no match for the State of the Art Yamaha CX-A5100: THD 0.008%, Crosstalk 94dB, SNR 131dB. :cool: :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Lexicon MC-8 should sound pretty good. It measures better than most AVRs: THD 0.026%, Crosstalk 90dB, SNR 120dB.

However, it’s no match for the Yamaha CX-A5100: THD 0.008%, Crosstalk 94dB, SNR 131dB. :cool: :D
So now you two can year all the differences yielded by those specs? Nice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis