Questions on an old Pioneer Sx-550 Receiver

B

Benji

Audiophyte
Hey, I've got this way old receiver that hasn't been used for a while. I hook up and it work great for a couple of days. Then today I turned it on and it made a really loud scratching noise. The noise stayed just as loud, unless I turned the receiver off, regardless of the volume or any adjustments made.

If you have any idea of what I should do or what the problem is it would be greatly appreciated.

B

B3Nut

Audioholic
Sounds like a failing transistor, most likely in the power amp section. Get a schematic and replace the transistors in the power amp section up to and including the outputs, just shotgun 'em. Whatever you do, don't toss it to the curb, head over to audiokarma.org to off it...also, there are some very good techs there who can restore this beauty. I have a 450 (the baby of the line, 15wpc) that I got as a kid in '78. I still use it, it drives any loudspeaker I throw at it to surprising levels. I love these older receivers, and in good shape are every bit as clean as a new hi-fi unit and much more solid than any stereo receiver you'll buy at a mass market store. I've got a '72 SX-828 on my bench that I'm going to recap and replace all the small-signal transistors in, and a '75 SX-838 that I'm going to do the same to. And there's nothing like the classic glow of the analog dials at night, especially the old blue-dial machines. :)

Todd P, vintage scrouger and cheapskate

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis