Questions about the circuit into my room.

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
I recently just finished the dedicated room in my basement. Turned out excellent. This ended up being an entirely different project then I had originally planned, from speakers to subs and equipment. Went with a Denon X6700H and decided instead of buying new powered subs, I went through GSG Audio and went with Marty's with Behringer NX6000 without DSP (Have a miniDSP.)

Took me about 2 months to get the project finished, and today when I hooked them up, turned on The Greatest Showman for a minute before starting to do some work with REW and calibrate everything, the first scene in the carnival tent, it popped a breaker. I have dual 20 amp circuits into the room. x6700H powers the Atmos speakers only. Monolith 7X powers everything else. Behringers are on the same 20 amp with the projector, which is the one that popped. My electrician suggest swapping one of those 20 amp into a 40 amp circuit - potentially both. But that would mean going bigger wire as well - I'm curious if that is accurate, and considering the panel is literally opposite of the back wall of my room which is in the garage, how hard is something like this to do yourself? Any suggestions for maybe a more simply solution or perhaps something else i need to consider before ripping into the panel?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I recently just finished the dedicated room in my basement. Turned out excellent. This ended up being an entirely different project then I had originally planned, from speakers to subs and equipment. Went with a Denon X6700H and decided instead of buying new powered subs, I went through GSG Audio and went with Marty's with Behringer NX6000 without DSP (Have a miniDSP.)

Took me about 2 months to get the project finished, and today when I hooked them up, turned on The Greatest Showman for a minute before starting to do some work with REW and calibrate everything, the first scene in the carnival tent, it popped a breaker. I have dual 20 amp circuits into the room. x6700H powers the Atmos speakers only. Monolith 7X powers everything else. Behringers are on the same 20 amp with the projector, which is the one that popped. My electrician suggest swapping one of those 20 amp into a 40 amp circuit - potentially both. But that would mean going bigger wire as well - I'm curious if that is accurate, and considering the panel is literally opposite of the back wall of my room which is in the garage, how hard is something like this to do yourself? Any suggestions for maybe a more simply solution or perhaps something else i need to consider before ripping into the panel?
https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CHT

620W power draw at 1/8 rated power, and you said there is more than one of these amps? Rather than a 40 amp circuit which yes would be crazy amount of copper, you may need another 20 amp circuit. Or at least a 15 amp for the projector.

You may also just want to check that every outlet is wired correctly and one didn't have the wires alternating - I found one in my living room like that, caused my projector to shut off randomly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You have how many Marty's and how many Behringers? What volume level were you at when it blew?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Well, since you have blown breakers, you obviously do not have enough power. The projector needs its own circuit, and your power amps need a couple of 20 amp circuits.

I power my power amp case with two 20 amp circuits, even then I had to install magnetic shunt breakers, to stop power on surge tripping the breakers.

Everything else is powered from two 15 amp circuits, so 70 amps devoted to my rig.

highfigh

highfigh

Well, since you have blown breakers, you obviously do not have enough power. The projector needs its own circuit, and your power amps need a couple of 20 amp circuits.

I power my power amp case with two 20 amp circuits, even then I had to install magnetic shunt breakers, to stop power on surge tripping the breakers.

Everything else is powered from two 15 amp circuits, so 70 amps devoted to my rig.
You aren't sequencing power on for the amplifiers?

highfigh

highfigh

If the system trips the breakers now and the room was wired by an electrician, do you think you're qualified to re-wire it? Copying wire paths is easy, knowing how much current the wires will need to handle is different. You really needed to know the current demands of each piece of equipment before starting.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You aren't sequencing power on for the amplifiers?
Yes, I am. I do it manually from the amp controller. However once you start one set, even after an interval, starting the next 909 on that circuit blows a standard breaker, so I had to use magnetic shunt breakers. Those 909s seem to have a massive in rush of current on turn on.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, I am. I do it manually from the amp controller. However once you start one set, even after an interval, starting the next 909 on that circuit blows a standard breaker, so I had to use magnetic shunt breakers. Those 909s seem to have a massive in rush of current on turn on.
That should have been addresses during the design phase- plenty of devices that dump current have a softer startup.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
What kind of outlets do you wire to a 40A circuit? If the projector and Behringers are on the same circuit, maybe replace the 20A cable with a 4 wire 20A cable on twin breakers for two 20A circuits, assuming you have the space in the breaker panel. This takes some research into local building codes as the heavier gauge cable and larger wire nuts (compared to 15A 14 gauge) require a deeper box and 20A receptacles. Electrical involving that kind of current is not recommended for novices as it can lead to house fires if not done properly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis