Questions about Sony HAP-1ZES Music Server

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
I had recently considered purchasing a Sony HAP-1ZES music server, but, depending on the dealer, they are either indefinitely out of stock or in short supply. My first question: has the model been discontinued and if so, is a more modern Sony music server in develpoment? The HAP-1ZES is a 6 year old model.
Also, one customer who reviewed the unit on Amazon indicated that the unit couldn't be used with recent PC's because the HAP-1ZES "Protocols" are no longer supported by recent PC's. The customer then GUESSED that there might also be problems using the HAP-Z1ES with recent MAC's. It is important to know if that is true before purchasing a HAP-Z1ES. My two computers are MAC's. I have a "Late 2013" iMAC which runs OS-X Catalina (the newest operating system that it can accept), and a recent "Mid-2020" iMAC, which arrived with OS-X Catalina already installed, and the option to upgrade to OS-X Big Sur (and probably a half dozen future operating systems).
There's still a few dealers that have the HAP-1ZES in stock, but, if I buy it, will it be a useless paperweight, if I try to load in high resolution music files that I have stored on my MAC.
Until now, I have converted high resolution FLAC music files to WAV , then burned them to DVD-R or DVD+R as "DVD-Audio". I also saved the original FLAC files to Data DVD-R or DVD+R, so that I someday buy a music server, I can easily load the original FLAC files back into my computer, then import them into a music server.
If any of you know of other, similarly priced music servers, and their system of loading files is MAC-compatable, let me know. Again, is the purchase of a Sony-HAP-1ZES too risky?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I had recently considered purchasing a Sony HAP-1ZES music server, but, depending on the dealer, they are either indefinitely out of stock or in short supply. My first question: has the model been discontinued and if so, is a more modern Sony music server in develpoment? The HAP-1ZES is a 6 year old model.
Also, one customer who reviewed the unit on Amazon indicated that the unit couldn't be used with recent PC's because the HAP-1ZES "Protocols" are no longer supported by recent PC's. The customer then GUESSED that there might also be problems using the HAP-Z1ES with recent MAC's. It is important to know if that is true before purchasing a HAP-Z1ES. My two computers are MAC's. I have a "Late 2013" iMAC which runs OS-X Catalina (the newest operating system that it can accept), and a recent "Mid-2020" iMAC, which arrived with OS-X Catalina already installed, and the option to upgrade to OS-X Big Sur (and probably a half dozen future operating systems).
There's still a few dealers that have the HAP-1ZES in stock, but, if I buy it, will it be a useless paperweight, if I try to load in high resolution music files that I have stored on my MAC.
Until now, I have converted high resolution FLAC music files to WAV , then burned them to DVD-R or DVD+R as "DVD-Audio". I also saved the original FLAC files to Data DVD-R or DVD+R, so that I someday buy a music server, I can easily load the original FLAC files back into my computer, then import them into a music server.
If any of you know of other, similarly priced music servers, and their system of loading files is MAC-compatable, let me know. Again, is the purchase of a Sony-HAP-1ZES too risky?
I too have thought hard about the Sony but rejected it since these days you can do everything the Sony does from Apple Music running on your MAC. All you need for hi-res play is a usb input on a DAC/AVR/pre-Pro.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Paying beaucoup bucks for any $$$$ server function is ridiculous when a 150 dollar Synology NAS with a 150 dollar 6 TB ironwolf nas drive (total 300 bucks!) will serve your music beautifully to multiple systems around the house!

That said, the Sony for being 6 yrs old does have a very good DAC implementation and is a good streamer. If you can find it used or at a bargain price, it can be a great sounding streamer.

S

Simm

Audiophyte
i bought one from a local stereo shop during a warehouse sale in the summer of 2019 for $300. It was their demo unit and had no box or remote but I have absolutely loved it. Came with quite a bit of preloaded music that I didn’t have as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis