Questions about Def Tech

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Hey guys, I've owned a few Def Tech Products; The CLR-2500, some Promonitor 800 and 1000's and a Supercube III as well as a Prosub 800. I've read on a few forums that they inflate their low frequency response response numbers. I mean someone on AVS said their Supercube III measured 16hz in REW while the one I had for a few months clearly showed a roll off at 25-28hz. My question is, isn't there standards and some type of consumer protection in place to prevent this? One of their smaller surround speakers they rate at 60hz-22,000hz but in room it doesn't seem to output much above 150hz. I do think some of their super towers are kinda cool but they must understand that we as consumers aren't complete idiots.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ah, but how many people fall for the DT Bullsh!t? A lot.

At least they don't seem to be lying about the new Demand series the way they lie about their subs and the BP series.

As for protection for the consumer? None, really. Except training your ears, and only trusting in good third party measurements to tell the story. I thought their BP series were some of the worst speakers I heard. I also had a DT salesperson warn me off their subs. Needless to say, I haven't been a fan.

That said, I do hope I get to hear the Demands sometime! :)

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Ah, but how many people fall for the DT Bullsh!t? A lot.

At least they don't seem to be lying about the new Demand series the way they lie about their subs and the BP series.

As for protection for the consumer? None, really. Except training your ears, and only trusting in good third party measurements to tell the story. I thought their BP series were some of the worst speakers I heard. I also had a DT salesperson warn me off their subs. Needless to say, I haven't been a fan.

That said, I do hope I get to hear the Demands sometime! :)
I’ve heard the Demand Series Towers with the integrated subs (I don’t recall which model) that a friend recently got along with some D5 or 6 (I may be mistaken so don’t quote me on model numbers) bookshelfs for surrounds. He has 3 towers for his LCR and with some MiniDSP and REW trial and error and a few hours of effort we got them sounding pretty damn good.He’s got the same dual SVS PB 10’s that I recently got so the built in subs do certainly help with the 50-150hz region but for what he paid for all 5 speakers I would have certainly taken another route. We were supposed to both go to our local (and one and only) audio store to audition speakers for his LCR and instead he went on his lunch break and got talked into buying more or less the entire Demand series haha even bought the “extended warranties.” I totally agree with you about the BP’s. I’ve got a pair of BP8060’s sitting in my room right now and waiting to be sold on flea bay. I got them as part of a trade for a Mirage LF150 subwoofer & a pair of Omni 60 bookshelves plus $150 cash on his end. I originally thought “Man what a deal I can flip these easily or maybe even use them” I set them up beside my 15+ year old Mirage OM-10’s and using the same Denon pre/pro & Monolith THX amp was extremely bummed out by their performance. Even with the internal amps and subwoofers compared to the OM-10’s for both music and home theater they just seemed to be missing something, even with the internal subs ran through LFE or running them as small and crossing them over at 40/60/80hz or running them as large they just didn’t sound as good to me as my OM-10’s that only use a front and rear 6.5” woofer with matching 1” pure titanium hybrid tweeters. I am a huge Mirage fanboy but I did give them a fair chance. And their subs! There should be a support group for people who have blown their nice shiney expensive Supercube amplifier immediately following the end of their warranty coverage.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
They did away with the integrated "Subs" in the Demand series. That's the BP cr@p, and maybe even the Mythos stuff.

The Demands look legit, and per Shady's review, they didn't appear to lie about their specs. ;)

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
They did away with the integrated "Subs" in the Demand series. That's the BP cr@p, and maybe even the Mythos stuff.

The Demands look legit, and per Shady's review, they didn't appear to lie about their specs. ;)
Oh man they are the Mythos ST’s my bad! He does have the Demand bookshelfs for surrounds. I thought they were odd with their racetrack woofers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Regardless, to the point of your querry:
DT fibs about Frequency Response.
Klipsch is known to inflate their Sensitivity.
Polk and B&W both tend to ignore the worse part of their Impedance demands.

Moral:
Be educated as a consumer. You don't have to be an EE to shop audio, or a trained musician to hear... (though admittedly either helps ;) )... but this hobby/lifestyle is not a cheap mistress and unless you like throwing your money away, it pays to learn about it before you splurge. :D
We are our own best protection.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To my mind DefTec somewhat caters to those graduating from Bose....still available in the big box store, and are relatively small decent looking speakers/subs with some WAF. In a small room with sufficient cabin gain and probably not an impressive spl level maybe an SCIII could hit 16hz....but perhaps not as well as some of their older more capable subs might have done (which have been gone for quite a while). Just wouldn't consider current DefTec subs myself, and for speakers they have some reasonable models here and there but still not what I'd aim at particularly.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
They don't inflate the numbers, they just don't mention the -3dB point. So basically it hits 18hz but they don't tell you it's at -12dB haha. But lots of manufacturers do the same. As for sound? Kind of pointless comparing opinions, they measure good and generally sound good...but to each their own.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis