Questions about being a pro installer?

U

Unregistered

I have recent interest in starting an installation company but have many questions before I jump out and do it. First off what certifications are recomended to start off. If any where do I get certified. Second, do i have to have some type of liscence to do this. Third, how much insurance do i need and how much does it cost. I have no profesional experience installing but have done a lot of for myself and friends. Last but not least, I love Monster Cable but dont know how or where to get a wholesale connection for all of it. I currently work for Best Buy and am trying to bite my own piece of the expensive install world off. Any info you can provide me with will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx Lone Star Staten
p.s. I live in Texas if it makes any difference.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Good luck

There are a few things you need to know first.

1: decide what type of company you are going to have (i.e. LLC, etc...)

2: Check local and state laws about LV (low voltage) license, some require it, some don't. If you are doing any HV (High Voltage, i.e. regular electrical, adding a power outlet, a dedicated ground, etc... you MUST have a license!

3: You MUST have insurance, liability, and be bonded.

4: Because you said "I have no professional experience installing" you would be better off working for a company for a few years and then start your own biz.

5: To start a biz, contact your local government offices and they can get you started on the right course.

6: IT IS HARD WORK, it is not like installing for friends or family. You can be sued for faulty work, breach of contract, etc....and depending on what type of company you have, your personal items could be up for grabs (house, car, A/V gear).

7: Because you said "I have no professional experience installing" don't think that you are the man (reality check), get some real world experience.

I was an installer for 4 years (in that I have done A/V, phones, alarms, LV, and I have done 4 years of HV electrical, drywall, framing, wood work, the list goes on) but I have done some plumbing for family and friends...should I start my own plumbing biz...NO...I don't know enough about plumbing (let alone all the laws governing plumbing). If you want to start a biz you can :) , but I would suggest that you take the slow and right road and get a job as an installer for a company, see how you like doing it everyday :confused: , and then start your biz. I don't want to dash your hopes or dreams, but just be sure you know what you are getting into. Talk to the owners of A/V companies, find out how they started, pick their brains, ask questions, and when you think you are ready ask more questions. Also don't do it for the money....most of the high end installers have built a reputation (over years) :cool: on their installs. Are they making some good cash...yes :) , but it is their passion and desire :D for the best A/V set up that sets them apart for the other guys.

As far as the Monster Stuff....most folks here will tell you it is over priced stuff, and that there are other options out there that are as good of quality or better and cost a lot less. You have to have a Tax ID number and Biz license in order to set up a biz account (and get dealer pricing) at wholesale places (i.e. www.parts-express.com)

I hope that helped some :)

U

Unregistered

thanx

thank you for your reply, It has been the most helpful info yet. I am currently trying to get a job as an installer to get my experience. And my company hopes are not exactly immediate, I realize it will take some time to get things sorted out and get everything together. I want to do it right and not just jump in. I am not doing this to get rich I am doing it because I think there is too little enthusiasm in the business in my area. I will keep you posted on my progress I will probably be back for more answers soon.

thank you

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Any help

Unregistered said:
thank you for your reply, It has been the most helpful info yet. I am currently trying to get a job as an installer to get my experience. And my company hopes are not exactly immediate, I realize it will take some time to get things sorted out and get everything together. I want to do it right and not just jump in. I am not doing this to get rich I am doing it because I think there is too little enthusiasm in the business in my area. I will keep you posted on my progress I will probably be back for more answers soon.

thank you

I'm glad I could help some...if you need some more help feel free to email me at johna@parts-express.com

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis