Question on limits of multi-room/multi-source capabilities

B

bens0472

Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

Second question today.

In researching possible receivers, one of my criteria is that I want the ability to run my 5.1 HT in my main room and, potentially simultaneously, run my second set of stereo speakers in an adjacent room with music (the kids watch videos in one room, the adults read and listen to jazz in the other). The two receivers I'm considering, the Yamaha V661 and the Onkyo SR605 both seem to have this capability, but the specs I found for the Yamaha on Crutchfield say this about dual-room/dual-source audio:

"dual-room/dual-source audio (powered and fixed line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room; using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.1 home theater in main room)"

Where it says "powered 2nd-room output...", does that imply that I need separately powered speakers for the 2nd room if I want to accomplish my goal (which I don't currently have).

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
It means that you can use the receiver's internal amp to power the 2nd room's speakers, but you cannot have a 7.1 system in the main room at the same time. The surround back amp channels can be selected either as surround back or zone 2.

Alternatively, you can use the zone 2 line out with an external amp in the zone 2.

The other limitation, generally, is that zone 2 can only use an analog input. So if you want to run DVD or cable TV sound to zone 2, you will have to hook up analog input to the receiver.

B

bens0472

Enthusiast
It means that you can use the receiver's internal amp to power the 2nd room's speakers, but you cannot have a 7.1 system in the main room at the same time. The surround back amp channels can be selected either as surround back or zone 2.

Alternatively, you can use the zone 2 line out with an external amp in the zone 2.

The other limitation, generally, is that zone 2 can only use an analog input. So if you want to run DVD or cable TV sound to zone 2, you will have to hook up analog input to the receiver.
Thanks, Dave. After all this reading, I've narrowed my selection down to two receivers: The Yamaha V661 and the Onkyo SR605. Here's my last question that, after reading through all of the material I can find on each, I can't seem to answer:

Which of these appears to have the advantage where this functionality is concerned? Am I correct in my analysis, below:

• Onkyo has only spring-loaded connections for Zone 2 speakers. Yamaha has binding posts.
  • Onkyo seems to be able to do 7.1 AND Zone 2 simultaneously, while the Yamaha appears to do either 7.1 w/o Zone 2 OR 5.1 w/ Zone 2.
  • The yamaha has pre-outs for each of hte speaker channels, the Onkyo only appears to have them for the subwoofer and, I THINK, for Zone 2. Does this appear correct?

Many thanks for your help,
Ben

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis