Question on adding an atmos soundbar to existing 5.1 setup.

H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
If the current setup is a 5.1 and an atmos soundbar is used to replace the existing front L/R, and center speakers, what does that give you?
Is that a 7.1, a 5.1.2 or something else?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
it gives you a hot mess. What are your current speakers and why are you interested in replacing them with a soundbar? It's very rare and expensive to find a soundbar that will outperform even decent inexpensive speakers.

H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
it gives you a hot mess. What are your current speakers and why are you interested in replacing them with a soundbar? It's very rare and expensive to find a soundbar that will outperform even decent inexpensive speakers.
Front L/R : Definitive Mythos Gem.
Center : Definitive ProCenter 100 MK II

Although the atmos (full sound) concept sounds appealing, for the current room size, it really won't fit and would be overkill with all the required speakers, but would still like to acquire the "full sound" or simulated atmos environment and thought by using an atmos sound bar that the various direction speakers may possibly acquire that.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
No, you're better off keeping your current speakers and not worrying about atmos. Using a soundbar would be a definite downgrade for you.

H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
Thanks. You just saved me some money. :cool:
Hmmm, maybe I will look into using that money to upgrade my AVR.

H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
Depending on your current avr, I'd be inclined to upgrade speakers first.
Hmmm, let me think about that.
Actually I will gather current configuration/setup and will start a new thread with recommendations to do the AVR or speakers.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Hmmm, let me think about that.
Actually I will gather current configuration/setup and will start a new thread with recommendations to do the AVR or speakers.
Tips when you start the new thread in addition to your current setup
  • What are you trying to accomplish with your setup
  • Your budget
  • Your room configuration
This will be helpful in getting a faster and more accurate response to your post.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Unless your AVR is significantly older and/or is lacking newer features that you're looking for, the most impactful upgrade you can make to your sound is going to be through better speakers. This is the case in probably 95+% of the cases we see here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another thing about soundbars is they don't work well as particular speakers in combination with other gear (like using the soundbar as a center or L/R speakers and mixing it with other components). Altho I generally also say speakers first, in the case of your older Denon AVR1700, that would be a consideration first to accommodate newer audio/video capabilities and connectivity....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis