Question for Clint about "User reputation"

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
This may be a dumb question and who knows maybe my reputation will drop becuase of it :p

Can you explain the user reputation and what the ranking means. If I go to one of my threads and check my reputation it says I have a score of 21. Can you explain what that means and if there is any benefit to having a hig or low score?

Can your reputation drop with spelling errors? If so im done.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
brian32672 said:
The answer you are looking for is in this thread.
Not quite. As far as I'm aware, nobody knows for sure about the various colours that one can recieve.

Regards

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Oh, I posted about that somewhere else. I'll have to look for it.

Let me just say that I now know why most other forums have not enacted this feature. It's meant to tell who gives out good advice or is a decent person to listen to and who is a moron (or just plain antagonistic person) who should be ignored.

A nice, funny person who knows nothing about home theater should probably not be given a chicklet.

On the other hand a quiet, nondescript person who is helpful and seems to know what they are talking about should get lots of them.

For some reason, most people treat it like a popularity contest, with some people asking for them or recommending them in their signatures, etc. Countless threads have been published on this 'exciting new feature' and hundreds of posts have been made discussing their meaning and virtues...

I am about ready to remove them entirely to be honest, or change them to something silly so that no one mistakes them for actually having anything to do with a person's ability to answer a technical question.

Sorry for the rant - I moved to a more appropriate thread...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I think that's sort of what the original big thread on it was getting at. It's a good thing that will get used the wrong way. The concept is good, but guns can be too until you put them in the wrong hands.

Buckle-meister

Clint DeBoer said:
So it seems.

To my knowledge, this is the second time I have recieved a red chicklet; this time, apparently for my words in this thread.

If a person disagrees with me, fine and well. But at least be man enough to tell me 'to my face' as it were. It's really quite difficult not to think of you as a coward otherwise.

So here's your chance. If you speak out, at least you will have my respect, if not my friendship. If you do not, you affirm my thoughts.

Regards

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Time to bust out the shillely :D

See, that is what I am talking about. The rating system can be used for purposes that can have little or nothing to do with the factual information of a comment. Much of what is said on a forum like this is an opinion, and rating someone based on a personal opinion is not quite fair if you simply don't agree with the person's opinion. If you post something that is correct or true, but someone doesn't like what you said, that doesn't mean it isn't correct or true. It doesn't work like it seems like it should, where I suppose it should be more of a "was this post/thread useful? yes or no" type system. As was already mentioned, the chicklets are tossed around like nobody's business which dilutes what they are really intended to be used for.

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
Beautiful... I'm glad you are changing your perspective on this. Hopefully over the long run we will be able to chalk it up as a transitory, adventurous and very minor mistake by the administrator of an otherwise exceptionally well-run audio forum. :)

I kind of half like the idea of turning the chicklets into something silly, but still, the human animal is so hungry for social approval and prestige that even an overtly silly popularity contest may impair the free-flow of useful information and constructive argument on the board.

Clint DeBoer said:
Let me just say that I now know why most other forums have not enacted this feature. It's meant to tell who gives out good advice or is a decent person to listen to and who is a moron (or just plain antagonistic person) who should be ignored.

A nice, funny person who knows nothing about home theater should probably not be given a chicklet.

On the other hand a quiet, nondescript person who is helpful and seems to know what they are talking about should get lots of them.

For some reason, most people treat it like a popularity contest, with some people asking for them or recommending them in their signatures, etc. Countless threads have been published on this 'exciting new feature' and hundreds of posts have been made discussing their meaning and virtues...

I am about ready to remove them entirely to be honest, or change them to something silly so that no one mistakes them for actually having anything to do with a person's ability to answer a technical question.

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
You Scottish wanker! Do you respect me now, BeltFastener? Watch your step, or I'll give you another!! ;)

But seriously, you got a reddie for something you said in this thread? "Good morning" is practically more offensive than anything you said here. I'm not one to give out reddies, and certainly not toward you.

I've changed my mind. I think we should keep the chicklets, Because: I have a great idea! I think there are a lot of smart people here and we can help each other out. From now on, anybody that gives me a good feedback, leave your ID in the comments line. I'll return the favor and find something you said so I can pay you back.

See - this is the way of the world. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. It's like "Businessman 101 - Introduction to Business". Follow me: Technical acuity is far overrated. In business, it's who you know and back-door deals. Companies like Enron and WorldCom had the right idea, they just weren't smart enough not to get caught. They got greedy.

Since there's no money at stake here, it's kind of like a Monopoly game with no regulatory oversight. Ad hoc teamwork can provide advantage over the hapless masses without vision to take charge and decimate the competition. The smart guys getting their chicklets "the right way" can't compete with the strategic destruction made possible with simple business practices.

Quit studying - I've got the easy road paved kids.

Miklorsmith - Chicklet Overlord and CEO

p.s. - Thanks, Clint. This is just the tilted playing field I've been waiting for.

Buckle-meister

miklorsmith said:
You Scottish wanker! Do you respect me now, BeltFastener? Watch your step, or I'll give you another!! ;)
You know, for a moment there, I actually couldn't see properly for a curtain of red. :)

miklorsmith said:
I've changed my mind. I think we should keep the chicklets...
Strangely enough, so do I. True, they've been totally abused with respect to the purpose for which they were intended, but there's evolution for you.

It's a lovely feeling when you see people leave nice comments about you. Not because it swells the ego, but just because it's nice. It touches the heart.

Leaving negative comments I have to accept; you cannot have one without the other. But not knowing who is slating me? Well, there's only one word for it....

Meh.

(hysterical laughter)

Regards

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
I personally agree with clint that we should do away with the chiclets. I think that it turns into a popularity contest for the immature. I think that it takes the focus away from the audio video aspect of the forum, and has people worring about where their next chiclet fix is going to come from. I am a very busy person, and have little time to spend posting. But I feel that when I do post that I give valuable advice (or at least start an interesting steam vent thread) making my chances at reciving more chiclets a rare occasion.
On a similar note, I can't believe that some of these people posting here that have joined in the last month or two and have 500 600 700 800 900 1000 posts. There is no way that even 1/20 of their posts contained any sort of advice or questions of a worthwile nature. Something that these people need to learn is that a high post count isn't everything. Just like the saying goes, Age doesn't equal experience, High post count doesn't equal valuable advice. Sorry for the rant, just my $.02 Happy Listening.:)
Greg

Well one thing should be noted - I really don't want this forum to become stale and stiff... with only posts about gear and such. I, for one, like the friendly banter, talk about personal stuff, and even the occasional political diatribes...

I just never thought the chicklets would be used on that track and apparently they are (of course 98% of all distributed chicklets have come from Brian9876543210....) :p

And I don't tend to give out chiklets for people disagreeing with me (I'm used to it) so don't think that was me. I also usually give a reason either way (green or red).

Carry on... we'll address this after CEDIA and see if it would make more sense to be silly game with more comical tallies and easier-to-attain levels.

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
Carry on... we'll address this after CEDIA and see if it would make more sense to be silly game with more comical tallies and easier-to-attain levels.
Perhaps a great many very volatile and unpredictable levels, from social butterfly, to unconscionable lackey, to audiohlics groupie, to insolent contrarian, to sheister meister, to phoney boloney, to copycat brat.... to insufferable "expert"... I'm sure there are funnier ideas... help?!@?#?#?@?!@ :eek:

Buckle-meister

Buckle-meister said:
To my knowledge, this is the second time I have recieved a red chicklet...
Better make that three then. :D

I guess the person has seen my previous post. Touched a nerve did it? Now he wishes me to "suck my b@ll$". I think not, but if you give me half a chance, I'll gladly chew them off. :D Keep it up friend; at least my conscience is clear.

That'll be affirmation then.

Regards

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
I'm giving you a green chicklet!!!

miklorsmith said:

But seriously, you got a reddie for something you said in this thread? "Good morning" is practically more offensive than anything you said here. I'm not one to give out reddies, and certainly not toward you.

I've changed my mind. I think we should keep the chicklets, Because: I have a great idea! I think there are a lot of smart people here and we can help each other out. From now on, anybody that gives me a good feedback, leave your ID in the comments line. I'll return the favor and find something you said so I can pay you back.

See - this is the way of the world. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. It's like "Businessman 101 - Introduction to Business". Follow me: Technical acuity is far overrated. In business, it's who you know and back-door deals. Companies like Enron and WorldCom had the right idea, they just weren't smart enough not to get caught. They got greedy.

Since there's no money at stake here, it's kind of like a Monopoly game with no regulatory oversight. Ad hoc teamwork can provide advantage over the hapless masses without vision to take charge and decimate the competition. The smart guys getting their chicklets "the right way" can't compete with the strategic destruction made possible with simple business practices.

Quit studying - I've got the easy road paved kids.

Miklorsmith - Chicklet Overlord and CEO

p.s. - Thanks, Clint. This is just the tilted playing field I've been waiting for.

Great post!!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis