Question for a Klipsch expert

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I bought a KP-201 to be used as a center speaker. The KP-201 being the professional version of Heresy II, the seller said "identical to Heresy, but with a better crossover". Is he correct? What would make the xover better if he is correct? I got the wood one (walnut?) as opposed to the PA cabinet version. Mine was used in a church. Funny thing is that is wasn't "used" in a church. It sat in the churches rafters for years. They thought it was hooked up, but it never was. ha. I may have gotten a new speaker. I do not have it yet. Hopefully around Thanksgiving it will arrive. I will repair the holes on top, then paint it black to match my Forte II's. I also got an angled riser from Bob Crites on the way.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like a score. I'd worry somewhat about heat in the rafters but that looks good! Couldn't tell you about the crossovers but if its newer perhaps it was revised....or simply different for the different market? Wouldn't Crites be a guy to ask?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Looks like a score. I'd worry somewhat about heat in the rafters but that looks good! Couldn't tell you about the crossovers but if its newer perhaps it was revised....or simply different for the different market? Wouldn't Crites be a guy to ask?
Oh yeah. Good idea. I'll ask him if no one here responds in a day or two.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
There is also a Klipsch forum which you should get answers quick.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
This was the reply I got from Michael Crites: "I don’t know of any reason for anyone to claim it is a “better crossover”, rather is the correct crossover for the speaker. Typically, when a speaker is modified, it needs a new crossover. The KP-201, for instance, should have a Titanium midrange diaphragm that requires a bandpass filter in the crossover that the HII does not need as it has a Phenolic midrange diaphragm.". Some of that is Greek to me. Hopefully the speaker will sound amazing as a center speaker or almost as amazing as my Heresy III was when I tried it there temporarily. If it has a titanium midrange diaphragm that might actually be brighter sounding than a regular Heresy II. Am I correct with that assumption?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
No, it should perform similarly. The typical heresy networks provide only low pass filters for the mids, relying on the acoustic roll off for the mid to tweet crossover. The ti diaphragms naturally extend higher, requiring the bandpass filter he referred to.

I have no idea if the kp201 have the ti or phenolic mids and corresponding networks. Seeing that they were owned by a church rather than some Klipsch nut who modded them, they probably have the correct driver/network combo. I say plug and play and see how it works. Should be essentially similar to the HIII, a good match for your fII (gems of the extended Heritage line IMO).

Don't be afraid to apply a bit of a downsloping house curve if you can, I think you would like it.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Don't be afraid to apply a bit of a downsloping house curve if you can, I think you would like it.
Sorry, but I don't know how I would apply that. Can you enlighten me? I imagine it is in my AVR settings in some way.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sorry, but I don't know how I would apply that. Can you enlighten me? I imagine it is in my AVR settings in some way.
Yes, any sort of graphic eq your AVR has, and/or employing dynamicEQ (for Audyssey) or similar loudness compensation. A full Heritage front stage can be a bit overwhelming (strident top end) otherwise.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I was going to sell the Academy that I had in the living room system. But I decided to use it in the bedroom system. So I am selling the RC62 that was in the bedroom. The KP201 arrives Friday.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The KP201 came today and I repaired the top and attached the riser. Tomorrow, I mask, sand and paint it matte black. When I placed it with the riser, I wanted to see straight down the horns in my primo seat in the room. So I raised the front of the riser about 3/4" and it is perfect as far as seeing right down the middle of the horns. And it sounds so incredibly great! Exactly as good as my HIII experiment. When you see center speakers this low, does it raise an eyebrow? I would say "yes", but it that is without an angled riser, correct? It looks wrong until you consider the riser I think.

Attachments

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Update: I was not satisfied with it being so low, so went and bought a steel 18" end table. I removed the angled riser entirely and now it is better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The thing that catches my eye is how close L/R are. Angling the center or making a riser for it....could go either way with that.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
It is a mobile home. To the right of the right speaker is a hallway. Not a ton of room to work with. The living room area is not huge in other words.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis