Question about ventilation

J

jah732

Audiophyte
Sorry for the cross-posting, but I would like a few more opinions before I proceed.

I am a newbie to home theatre, and have a question about ventilation. I have just purchased a Yamaha RX-V750 receiver (too much power for me but I needed phono inputs and wanted a Yamaha). It says I should give it 30cm of space above it, and 30cm of space to either side. I was planning to put in into my entertainment centre, but there is no way there will be 30 cm of space on either side (I can probably swing the 30cm above). The centre is vented at the back, although with fairly small holes. If I keep the door open when I use the receiver, will this be okay or will it overheat because of the lack of space to either side?

The receiver has a grill on top but I did not see any ventilation holes/grills at the sides. Another advice document suggest 4-8" above and at least 1" to either side. Would this suffice? A reply I received in the Beginners forum suggested I would probably be okay

I need to keep my electronics, when not in use, in an enclosed cabinet for the simple reason that my house is both dusty and furry (cats).

Thanks

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Dont sweat it, get yourself a fan from Rat Shack or better yet, the Panasonic ones from Parts Express and on really hot days, when you are pushing your amp, just run it over the transformer and capacitors and you will never have any problem. I have run my DSP-AZ1 as well as the newer Z-9 like this and never had any reliability issues whatsoever.

audioman00

Audioholic
don't worry be happy!

Don't worry, this unit has a thermanl shutdown anyway. If it gets too hot it will shut down. I also think by educated guess you will be able to give the unit ample ventilation. 30cm above should be fine, but i would leave the door open. -audioman00

J

jah732

Audiophyte
thanks for the reassurances

Thanks for the reassurances, people. I thought I would probably be okay with just a lot of space on top and the door open. I was just a little perturbed by the extravagant space the manual suggested.

I might get a fan just to be on the safe side, but I don't really worry about hot days since I have central A/C. Also, I rarely stress my electronics (no loud music, no booming adventure movies or else I would scare the cats -- as it is they freak when movie sounds from DVDs come through my soon-to-be replaced, very old, very cheap, very weak speakers although they don't seem to care when music comes through the same speakers-- weird).

Thanks again for the reassurances. Now to actually get this sucker hooked-up. Good thing this weekend looks rainy. Since I will be stuck inside anyway, I might as well tackle this project. - jah732

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis