Question about upscaling with my BenQ LK970

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
So with my Sony X800 BD player and my BenQ LK970 projector. When i play a blu ray movie and hit "Display" on the X800 remote it says SDR. But when i hit "Display" with a 4K movie it says HDR->SDR. I think maybe the 4k movie looks better but what does this mean? My BenQ LK970 projector is not an HDR projector.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So with my Sony X800 BD player and my BenQ LK970 projector. When i play a blu ray movie and hit "Display" on the X800 remote it says SDR. But when i hit "Display" with a 4K movie it says HDR->SDR. I think maybe the 4k movie looks better but what does this mean? My BenQ LK970 projector is not an HDR projector.
It just means that it's converting the HDR data to SDR so it can be presented on your display without artifacts. It's called tone mapping IIRC. I have to do the same with my projector. 4K movies don't look any different than 1080p movies on my projector.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
What about with my projector? Would 4k look better on my BenQ LK970?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What about with my projector? Would 4k look better on my BenQ LK970?
Potentially, yes, but a lot more factors are important when it comes to projectors than resolution. Your room would be a big part of the picture. If you can get it as black as possible (walls, ceiling, carpet) then the image will look considerably better.

This is something I need to do in my own room.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I have dark brown walls a black ceiling and a huge throw rug thats black on top of the regular carpet. So everything is dark in my room!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis