Question about TV settings

J

Joseman37

Audioholic Intern
So what you're saying is if the source of audio and video come from outside of the TV. Ex: (PS4, Android TV Box, Blu Ray, etc). I can use the other HDMI ports on the TV (not the ARC one) and can still get sound sent to speakers via the AVR?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So what you're saying is if the source of audio and video come from outside of the TV. Ex: (PS4, Android TV Box, Blu Ray, etc). I can use the other HDMI ports on the TV (not the ARC one) and can still get sound sent to speakers via the AVR?
Not saying that at all. If you are not using any audio from the tv itself ARC doesn't matter. I wouldn't recommend plugging your sources into the tv directly at all, avrs are much better at being a switching center, particularly for audio, than the tv. Current ARC technology only permits lossy audio (i.e. no Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA, and Atmos would only come via Dolby Digital Plus metadata) via ARC to the tv, some older tvs were even limited to 2.0 rather than any 5.1 content at all. Future ARC technology (eARC, which isn't fully available yet) should allow even lossless multich content, but there's still no good reason to have that come via the tv.

J

Joseman37

Audioholic Intern
Not saying that at all. If you are not using any audio from the tv itself ARC doesn't matter. I wouldn't recommend plugging your sources into the tv directly at all, avrs are much better at being a switching center, particularly for audio, than the tv. Current ARC technology only permits lossy audio (i.e. no Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA, and Atmos would only come via Dolby Digital Plus metadata) via ARC to the tv, some older tvs were even limited to 2.0 rather than any 5.1 content at all. Future ARC technology (eARC, which isn't fully available yet) should allow even lossless multich content, but there's still no good reason to have that come via the tv.
Actually my PS4, blu ray, etc are going to be connected to the AVR directly. The only thing I want connected to the TV is the AVR. I hope I'm clear on that.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That being the case, you do not need to activate HDMI-CEC for the ARC feature unless you intend to use the tv’s built in tuner or apps and want the audio to go out to the receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually my PS4, blu ray, etc are going to be connected to the AVR directly. The only thing I want connected to the TV is the AVR. I hope I'm clear on that.
I think you're overthinking it a bit :)

Again, if not using any audio sourced in the tv, ARC is meaningless and limited if you do, plus enabling ARC/HDMI-CEC can bring on some strange behavior in mixed brands as the HDMI-CEC standards aren't stringent and can cause more problems than they solve.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Glad you painted that out. It seemed like you wanted to use ARC. I use a ps3, x700 and dish network for streaming Netflix Hulu and YouTube etc. I think you’ll be glad in avoiding arc. If for some reason you did want to use the tv speakers periodically, you can bypass the AVR but imo, that’s not a good idea either. Just because I use my audio system no matter what’s on tv. Lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If I understand you correctly, you mean just the 1 hdmi going out from your receiver and into your tv, yes? In that case then yes you can use the other (input) ports on your tv and get sound to the speakers as long as you have everything else routed through your avr. You'd only be using your tv as a monitor so no need to return the signal back to your avr.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis