Question about TV settings

J

Joseman37

Audioholic Intern
Hi there.
I was wondering if I'd have to do any settings to my TV after my home theater set up is connected to it, or if the sound will automatically go to the AV receiver without doing anything to the TV?

Thank you.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hi there.
I was wondering if I'd have to do any settings to my TV after my home theater set up is connected to it, or if the sound will automatically go to the AV receiver without doing anything to the TV?
Well, that all depends on how you have everything set up and connected. So, how did you set up and connect everything?

J

Joseman37

Audioholic Intern
I have not connected it yet, but I will do so through HDMI arc.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Do you want sound to go from the TV to the receiver or are you routing everything to the receiver and then to the TV?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
HDMI ARC connections and turning on the appropriate options in the tv and avr (per the respective manuals) should do it. This would get audio from tv based apps or over the air content, but otherwise suggest you connect other sources to the avr for audio management.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If all your sources are connected to your receiver you don't need to and won't want to run ARC. Anything connected to the receiver will have sound processed by it. The only thing you'll need to worry about then with tv settings is making sure the tv speakers are turned off!

IF you're planning to use the smart functionality of your tv, and want that sound to go to your receiver and then speakers you will need to use ARC. This, however, is not generally recommended as it doesn't always support all the surround sound formats.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Gaming console, Blu Ray player, streaming box will be connected to AV receiver as well. I think those are my sources, are they not?
As NIN mentioned, only the audio coming from the tv itself would be affected by ARC so if you're using it for OTA (over the air) content or a smart app etc then ARC would come into play. I'd generally leave ARC/HDMI-CEC disabled if not using ARC, but that might depend on the remotes used.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Gaming console, Blu Ray player, streaming box will be connected to AV receiver as well. I think those are my sources, are they not?
Yeah, if those are your sources and you don't need to use the tv apps then just use your avr and put ARC on the back shelf. I basically turn my smart tv into a monitor and let my AVR do all the switch work and processing.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, if those are your sources and you don't need to use the tv apps then just use your avr and put ARC on the back shelf. I basically turn my smart tv into a monitor and let my AVR do all the switch work and processing.
Same here. ARC is half baked. Dumb...

J

Joseman37

Audioholic Intern
That is still kind of confusing. How come then in all the YouTube videos I've seen about surround sound setup using an AV receiver, they always say to connect to HDMI ARC in TV for audio return?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
That is still kind of confusing. How come then in all the YouTube videos I've seen about surround sound setup using an AV receiver, they always say to connect to HDMI ARC in TV for audio return?
For those who use the TV apps i suppose, many dont know what they miss out on by connecting things to the TV instead of the AVR. Percieved ease of use, although it isnt really. Some TVs and AVRs only support full resolution and such on one HDMI input and thats the ARC labeled one, this might not be an issue nowdays, i dont know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Because you're not watching the videos where they suggest against it due to the buggy nature of ARC!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don’t have any idea which videos you’ve watched, but as mentioned, I’m sure it’s to use the TVs built in apps. Ime, an external streamer is much better and more streamlined while offering full resolution and without the eARC headaches. Do have a link to a video? Maybe somebody could provide further insight into your question.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
While ARC handled more bandwidth than optical, it can and usually is a hassle. With eARC handling more bandwith than ever, I'm sure more folks would like to see the bugs in HDMI-CEC worked out as more Smart TV apps support Dolby Atmos. I purchased a new TV, receiver, UHD blu-ray player and an Apple 4K two years ago. I also updated the software on a few years old TiVo to enable HDMI-CEC. After nearly two years and many different firmware updates on all of the devices, it all finally works most of the time and I can control all of the devices with the TV's remote control and the TV actually switches to the selected device. I still have the optical cable hooked up in the event it all goes south. Many find it difficult to use ARC simply because every manufacturer has their own name for HDMI-CEC and they don't know that it needs to be enabled for ARC to work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Because youtube videos may not be the best specific source for what you're doing? Many do use the tv's apps and some have cut cable ties and reverted to over the air or both, but if you're not doing those things then ARC is meaningless.

J

Joseman37

Audioholic Intern
Here's a video where they tell me to use ARC on the TV. Around 4:24

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here's a video where they tell me to use ARC on the TV. Around 4:24

Well, not going to watch a video in general to hook up gear, I prefer manuals (and research). I did listen long enough to hear this guy doesn't have it all down as to audio possibilites from tvs.... OTOH if you might end up using audio from your tv, no harm in using ARC-enabled ports on the tv and avr in setting things up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis