Question About Picture Mode "Profiles" on Panasonic UB9000...

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
I have a question regarding the DP-UB9000's picture settings memory for the different picture profiles; as some of you who have perhaps used the Panasonic UHD Blu-ray players know, they allow for three separate custom picture profiles for the three different types of disc-based video media the player supports (DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray), and within those profiles, three different customizations can be saved (User 1/User 2/Locked Out Standard).

With DVD, I leave the player at the default profiles Panasonic designated for these discs -- that is, the three Noise Reduction settings are adjusted to "2" and the Edge Correction is also adjusted to "2." When it comes to 1080p Blu-ray, I was leaving everything at the default settings of "0" but adjusted the Edge Correction to "1" per online reports/reviews about these units adding ringing and edge enhancement when upscaling 1080p content to 2160p; I have since decided against this, because I read that using this one setting can actually cause moire artifacts in real world viewing, so last night I switched the picture profile for BD to the "Standard" lockout mode (which keeps everything at the "0" position).

But here is the question I have regarding UHD/4K playback -- can the "Standard" lockout picture profile be used when viewing UHD discs WHILE using the player's HDR Optimizer? Or does using the Optimizer automatically override those picture profile settings and create a "custom" profile?

Does anyone know how this works with the Panasonics?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Paris -- do you have any feedback regarding these picture profile modes?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis