Question about HTPC

S

steve168

Audiophyte
Hey Gang,

I was wondering what the communities thoughts are on the growing area of desktop amplifiers replacing dedicated home theatre amplifiers for home theatre personal computer (HTPC) setups?

The reason I am asking is because I am using an HT Omega Claro XT for a soundcard on my pc with desktop amplifiers has always sounded better than my Emotiva pre-amplifier with dedicated 5 channel amp or Yamaha receivers in the past. I currently have 2 two-channel desktop amplifiers from Aiyima and 1 aiyima pro-max (bridged-mono for my center speaker) and an active subwoofer.

Another thing I am thinking about is usinge eARC or something to be able to capture my TV appliciations (Hulu, Disney+, etc.) audio to my pc, and so far there are capture cards that support hdmi 2.1 that can do 5.1 (https://www.avermedia.com/product-detail/GC553G2), but I would also like to get thoughts on the possibilities with passing sound to my person computer (PC) as well.

Looking for to responses and discussion,
Steve

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey Gang,

I was wondering what the communities thoughts are on the growing area of desktop amplifiers replacing dedicated home theatre amplifiers for home theatre personal computer (HTPC) setups?

The reason I am asking is because I am using an HT Omega Claro XT for a soundcard on my pc with desktop amplifiers has always sounded better than my Emotiva pre-amplifier with dedicated 5 channel amp or Yamaha receivers in the past. I currently have 2 two-channel desktop amplifiers from Aiyima and 1 aiyima pro-max (bridged-mono for my center speaker) and an active subwoofer.

Another thing I am thinking about is usinge eARC or something to be able to capture my TV appliciations (Hulu, Disney+, etc.) audio to my pc, and so far there are capture cards that support hdmi 2.1 that can do 5.1 (https://www.avermedia.com/product-detail/GC553G2), but I would also like to get thoughts on the possibilities with passing sound to my person computer (PC) as well.

Steve
I assume you are making an analog connection to the desktop amps.

I am not aware of computer motherboards with ARC or eARC. You really need eARC and ARC is not satisfactory.

So the answer is, if there is a board with an eARC input you are good. However, I have only seen boards with HDMI outputs and not inputs.

S

steve168

Audiophyte
Hey TLS Guy,

Your assumption is correct in that I'm running analog rca cables to desktop amps, and honestly my PC absolutely blows away any receiver or pre-amp I ever had. I also have a blu-ray player with the software to play movies on my pc. I just wish there was a way to connect my video game consoles, dedicated blu-ray player, into my PC so the soundcard DAC gets used for analog output.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hey TLS Guy,

Your assumption is correct in that I'm running analog rca cables to desktop amps, and honestly my PC absolutely blows away any receiver or pre-amp I ever had. I also have a blu-ray player with the software to play movies on my pc. I just wish there was a way to connect my video game consoles, dedicated blu-ray player, into my PC so the soundcard DAC gets used for analog output.
If that is so, you must have some lousy equipement.

I use an HTPC and a DAW. The HTPC is connected to my AVP Marantz 7705. I also have a DAW with professional RME DAC also connected to the AVP.

Results are excellent. Normal high end practice is absolutely not to have the DAC in the computer. There are really good reasons for this. So your experience is atypical and it could be you like the aberration.

For optimal results the current wisdom is not to have he DAC in the computer powered from a switching computer power supply.

S

steve168

Audiophyte
Why is it bad in normal high end practice to not have the DAC in the computer and what is your idea of high-end?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Why is it bad in normal high end practice to not have the DAC in the computer and what is your idea of high-end?
Because of the switching power supplies in the computer. I have built a number of DAWs and HTPCs, and always done the digital to audio conversion externally. I have never put a sound card of any type in my computer cases connected to my systems That has always been and is, professional practice.

My DAWs have always used pro RME DACs.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
For HTPC my preference after going through many DIY solutions, is either Apple TV or Shield TV.
Both are extremely capable streamers. Choose one based on the OS vendor of most of your home mobile devices.
From the streamer, the HDMI connection to the receiver is the way to go. The newest content will often include Dolby Vision which has no regular PC either Windows or MAC-OS-based support.
Another option would be a Roku streamer, but I don't have experience with it.

As for streaming audio only, going with outboard, aka external DAC is the way to go. Even this $150 objectively measures better than any PCie sound card:

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

If that is so, you must have some lousy equipement.

I use an HTPC and a DAW. The HTPC is connected to my AVP Marantz 7705. I also have a DAW with professional RME DAC also connected to the AVP.

Results are excellent. Normal high end practice is absolutely not to have the DAC in the computer. There are really good reasons for this. So your experience is atypical and it could be you like the aberration.

For optimal results the current wisdom is not to have he DAC in the computer powered from a switching computer power supply.
I'll have to push back on this... The reason for external (USB) DAC is because the form factor demands this for connectivity options. PCIe cards can be more than adequately designed and FFT measurements with high resolution support my position.

As a matter of fact RME makes them.

But I would just get an external DAC.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'll have to push back on this... The reason for external (USB) DAC is because the form factor demands this for connectivity options. PCIe cards can be more than adequately designed and FFT measurements with high resolution support my position.

As a matter of fact RME makes them.

But I would just get an external DAC.
Looking at the current RME PCIe offering I don’t think that a PCIe DAC is a big part of their business, though.

As a home user I do have two of their products and they are external USB2 devices. Expensive but I’m quite happy with them during the years I’ve had them and I expect to get many more years of usage from them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Looking at the current RME PCIe offering I don’t think that a PCIe DAC is a big part of their business, though.

As a home user I do have two of their products and they are external USB2 devices. Expensive but I’m quite happy with them during the years I’ve had them and I expect to get many more years of usage from them.
I did not know RME made sound cards. I have used RME units for 22 years now and had to upgrade once when I did my second DAW build.

The DACS go both ways, so you can record and playback. You can record from analog or digital sources. It interfaces well with WaveLab.

Between the HTPC and the DAW I can stream anything I personally want. I do have to use the BPO App on the LG TV to stream Atmos form the BPO. Everything is really quiet with no buzzes or noise issues. So it all works for me. I think these days we all tend to create our own universe for digital audio and streaming.

I really like to keep my gear long and only change units for really good reasons. Assessing how to keep off the continuous upgrade roundabout takes planning these days.
It is however the best way to high quality at the lowest cost I think. I really hate having to take good working equipment out of service.

I do tend to buy at the top end, but not the loony end. Judging longevity of gear is probably the most difficult part of the whole process.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I did not know RME made sound cards. I have used RME units for 22 years now and had to upgrade once when I did my second DAW build.
Me neither, but they do:
It's good that there is one professional digital audio interface to worry about /s

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I do tend to buy at the top end, but not the loony end. Judging longevity of gear is probably the most difficult part of the whole process
Hardware longevity is, of course, very important but for so many products so is software and drivers. I’m not the only one to have retire hardware in working condition because lack of drivers and other software updates.

RME is one of those companies that have a real good track record of literally supporting their products for decades with software updates and drivers, where possible.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Me neither, but they do:
It's good that there is one professional digital audio interface to worry about /s
There are a number of pro audio manufacturers of audio interfaces that have poor driver and software support, so that very nice as well as expensive device prematurely becomes unusable.

For long term software and driver support the small German company RME Audio is the gold standard.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey Gang,

Steve
I think it’s best to stream the pure digital bitstream from the PC to the AVR via HDMI.

I’ve tried using a fancy ASUS PC sound card. It sucks compared to bitstream from PC’s HDMI to the AVR.

S

steve168

Audiophyte
The HT Omega soundcard I bought was litterally last week. I've been buying these things for years (roughly since 2010) (I bought directly on HT Omega's website store). They still support the drivers as well, on windows 11 I just used the windows 10 drivers and ran as administrator and voila I have joy. I am running stereo optical input from my tv to my computer now as well, and I can now listen to my tv through my PC, but it's only 2 channel :( through the spdif loopback the sound card has. I watched Ford vs Ferarri tonight, I could hear the wind, insects, and background dialog in scenes I never heard before.

Currently, I have the system setup in my living room. I wanted to point out the chip on the HT Omega I am using at 250 dollars:
  • 24-bit / 192kHz AK4396VF 120dB DAC
  • 24-bit / 192kHz AK535BVF ADC

The RME card (which is alot more than analog 7.1 channels is a little vage on the processers):
  • HDSPe AIO Pro is based on the reference processors AK5572 and AK4490 (according to its spec, is 24-bit at 192khz).

Note: The RME definitely has its place, but I'm not an audio engineer and don't need that many channels of audio or everything the RME has to offer. It's also ~1 thousand dollars.

I posted the link for reference:

S

steve168

Audiophyte
My speakers are as follows:
Emotiva B1+ for the surrounds.
HSU Research CCB-8 for my center
HSU Research HB-1 MK2 Speaker
Emotiva SE8 Subwoofer (eventually will get something bigger, but this blends with my speakers well enough).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis