Question about HDMI switches and splitters..

J

Joseman37

Audioholic Intern
Hi there.
I was wondering if connecting an HDMI splitter to an AV receiver would degrade video quality or negate signal?

I own 5 game consoles, a NVIDIA Shield box, and a UHD blu ray player, and the AV receiver I want doesn't have enough HDMI ports, so I'm kind of forced to use a splitter/switch.

PS: The splitter/switch I'm researching has HDCP 2.2 pass through..

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi there.
I was wondering if connecting an HDMI splitter to an AV receiver would degrade video quality or negate signal?

I own 5 game consoles, a NVIDIA Shield box, and a UHD blu ray player, and the AV receiver I want doesn't have enough HDMI ports, so I'm kind of forced to use a splitter/switch.

PS: The splitter/switch I'm researching has HDCP 2.2 pass through..
What AV reciever? There are quite a few with 8 HDMI inputs.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Since I can't afford an expensive receiver at the moment I will be looking at Denon AVR-S640H.
The linked unit will work and after you factor the cost of the switch you need maybe cheaper. Also depending on your display you could possible get away with using ARC and plugging a couple into the display.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have used HDMI switches many times to extend HDMI inputs and even to avoid using a receiver or pre/pro altogether in a vintage 2 channel system. It works just fine. So go ahead.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I run a 16x16 HDMI matrix switch into a couple of different AV receivers and there is no problem at all. This is a common way to do things in more complex setups or systems like yours with a lot of sources available.

Your potential headache comes from any requirements for 18Gb/s HDMI signals using HDCP 2.2 and needing that full bandwidth. Make sure all cables are 18Gb/s certified cables no matter what. If you have a mix of higher resolution and lower resolution sources, try to put your higher resolution sources directly on the AV receiver and the lower resolution sources on the switch if you can.

But, either way really 'should' work. I put it in quotes because reality is a real kick in the teeth sometimes.

Be aware that products advertised as '4k compatible' really need to specify that they support 18Gb/s HDMI, not just 4K.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis