Question about DVD player and Reciever purchases

D

Devin79

Audioholic Intern
Hi, I need some advice on a new DVD player and Reciever for my home theater.

I have a Sony 65 inch HDTV (KDP-65WS550).

The three DVD players I am thinking of are the Denon 5910, or 3910 (the 5910 might be a little more then my budget will allow).

or the Pioneer Elite. 59AVI

Does anyone have opinions as to which of these are the best buy, and will perform best with film and video on my type of CRT RPTV.

As far as Recivers go, I am thinking of the upcoming Denon 4306, if I decide to go with the Denon 3910, or the upcoming pioneer 74TXVi if I go with the
Pioneer elite 59AVI player.

I suppose I could get the 5910 and the Denon 4806 reciever, if I bought from an internet distributer, but I am reluctant to buy from an unauthorized Denon retailer.

If anyone had any suggestions or info about these products, and what might work best with my tv I would really appreciate the input. Thanks.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
As far as picture quality goes the Denon 5910 is lightyears ahead of the others due to the new HQV chip by Teranex (previously only available for the pro market starting at US$60,000)

See Secrets Benchmark tests Dec2004 and scroll down for a write up on the 5910. As the results show this is the best DVD player to date(run a search for all dvd players here and the 5910 is still on top)

It has selectable 480p/720p/1080i output, see Denon's Page for more

If I had the cash and a HD display I'd go for the 5910 in a flash, but thats just me :D

Have fun with your new purchases,
cheers :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. I would aslo note that the 59AVi also didn't score as high as the 3910, so I'd still go with the 3910 over it.

9f9c7z

Banned
The Denon 5910 seems a little overkill for to me … and my budget. There is a website (sorry, forget the name) where some a/v engineers did serious, deep evaluations, measuring what seems to be every technical aspect of the audio and the video quality of the 5910 and the 3910. Bottom line: there are a few more bells and whistles on the 5910, but the picture and sound of the 3910 was almost as good, and in some areas better. I figured the diff between the two resides somewhere in a realm I don’t occupy, so the 5910’s advantages would be lost on me.

Other things that helped me decide on the 3910, (a) there is software available that can be loaded into the 3910 and it becomes a multi-region DVD player. I watch far more foreign movies that Hollywood product, tho I yet to load the multi-region s/w. (b) The whole DVD medium is changing, $5k for a DVD player that is obsolete as far as playing the new Hi-Def/Hi-Density format(s) didn’t make sense to me. (c) The 3910’s are more common, more desirable to more people, so selling it later on when/if I venture into HD-DVD should be easier. (d) Denon products are some of the very few DVD players that fully comply with the entire HDMI spec for audio/video transfer. Could be important if you interface to a pre/pro that does scaling. (e) Getting the purchased approved by the woman/boss/CEO/dominatrix was easier at $1k than $5k.

Something else to think about if you are serious about the 5910, you are smack in the middle of the price range of other, esoteric brands of DVD players that cater only to the hi-end market. Couldn’t tell you where the 5910 fits into that crowd, but if it were me considering a 5910, I’d have a lot of shopping to do before deciding and buying. I forget the brand name but there is another DVD player that pops up as supposedly the crème de la crème of DVD picture/sound quality, the one all other DVD players aspire to. It was not reviewed by that website I mentioned above. It’s priced similar to the 5910, but I don’t think it is a universal player, won’t play all the disc formats a 5910/3910 will.

Fwiw, the picture quality of the 3910 exceeded my expectations. Sound quality, too! But then it’s not like the 3910 is sitting side-by-side with any other DVD hardware to compare it to. We use the 3910 to feed a hi-def (1080i) plasma display, not that DVD is hitting that resolution, but I can compare it to the hi-def sat images. No disappointments, no regrets…no going back. And I don’t utilize even a half of the features that are available with the 3910.

I have read only one, somewhat subjective, review of the new DenonLink’s performance. Thumbs down on quality when compared to the other, more common digital networking avenues. I don’t think I would make a decision based on that one review, but it is certainly something to be aware of if you are considering DenonLink to interface a Denon DVD to Denon pre/pro. You have other choices to make that interface so DenonLink's quality, if there is an issue, shouldn’t stop you.

If you decide to go with any Denon stuff, post back here and I will pm you the name of an authorized Denon retailer that will sell you A-stock at a deep discount. The price they quoted is the cost to have the stuff dropped on your doorstep.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Some good points made by 9f9c7z especially about the new HD formats on the horizon. Unless you have a Sony Qualia 004 at US$27,000 or something similar the advantage of the HQV chip may not be perceived, hence no point spending the US$3,500 on the 5910.

cheers :)

D

Devin79

Audioholic Intern
The 3910 looks like the best bet.

Thanks alot for the help guys.

At this point I am seriously considering the Denon 3910.
The truth is that the 5910 is just not within my budget since I want to get a Denon reciever to go along with it.

I had a question for 9f9c7z.

If I go with the 3910, I would probably want to match it with a denon reciever. Would you reccommend the upcoming 4306 or the Ultra2 certified 4806.

and what dealer would you reccommend, thanks again.

B

brandon123

Enthusiast
I am looking at this exact same set-up, however, does the 3910 have upconversion to HDMI? I am linking everything via HDMI form cable box to receiver, DVD to receiver and then, receiver to TV via HDMI. Does the Denon 4306 or 4806 upcovert and have deinterlacer for HDMI? I was looking at the Yamaha 2600, what do you think????

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
If you're connecting everything via HDMI, you don't need upconversion, just switching capability. The upconversion is necessary going from analog to HDMI in the receiver. The 3910 can output a 720p or 1080i signal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis