Question about Audyssey

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
The misses is complaining that the sound effects are too low a volume when the dialog is loud enough for her to hear. I have the dialog adjustment on and +12db. I have the dynamic volume enabled but she's still complaining. Is there a way to turn the effects down more without using the master volume?

Setup is Denon AVR-X2300W with MultuEQ XT. Front soundstage is Paradigm Mini Monitor v7 all the way across.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Turn off or down the dialogue adjust. I have never used it but afaik it will make talking easier to hear/louder at the expense of the rest of the channels/sound effects.

Edit: try only +1 to +2 on the dialogue adjust volume. Most who wants a bit clearer dialogue just up the center channel by 1 or 2dB, dialogue adjust is probably more advanced then that but nothing should be at anything close to +12dB, itll make everything else extremly low in comparison.

Edit2: dynamic eq can help also, it basically increases bass quite a bit and top end slightly, and works well with a small center or dialogue enhance increase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I'll definitely give dynamic eq a try. I imagine I could have googled that, but the ref. level offsets confused me. Plus I love this forum and really love all the advice I get here :D

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I'll definitely give dynamic eq a try. I imagine I could have googled that, but the ref. level offsets confused me. Plus I love this forum and really love all the advice I get here
Apologies i misread a bit there and thought the dialogue enhance was set to 12 but its not set that way.
What is it you have a +12?
And do you want effects louder or softer compared to voices?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
If she wants softer effects then turn dynamic volume off.
If thats not quite enough turn the center channel volume/trim up 1dB or 2dB, can go to +3dB on center but then it stands out a bit more. (This is how i run at home, dyn volume off and center +1.5dB)
A note here, the 1dB,1.5dB etc is relative to what audyssey set it at so if for example your center channel is set at -3 in the speaker volume list then adding 1dB would mean it will be at -2. If you use a trim menu under then ithink they start at 0 and the reciever just adds or subtracts by itself the amount you trim from the speaker setup volume

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I've been using dynamic eq, not volume:rolleyes: Feeling a little idiotic at the moment. Been fooling around with the various levels, but I hadn't thought about the channel level adjust. I'll have to check it out.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Np :)
But is it louder or softer effects she wants?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'll definitely give dynamic eq a try. I imagine I could have googled that, but the ref. level offsets confused me. Plus I love this forum and really love all the advice I get here :D
Try this for the explanation of RLO for use with DynamicEQ https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347383-Dynamic-EQ-and-Reference-Level

Haven't got a unit with the Dialogue adjust thing so no help there, but many do simply raise center channel level for dialog, same for LFE many raise the sub level (or opposite perhaps in your case).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What is the AVR crossover set to for center speaker?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While we're at it, just how do you have the center positioned? Pic?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Also thinking we should ask if the dialog was better or worse prior to new speakers.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Center is directly under the screen at ear level. It is a considerably better speaker than the previous one (old was Polk Audio T30). The crossover point was set at 80hz. Gonna goof around with higher points and see what happens there... I am guessing I was wasting some power on frequencies not meant for the center channel.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Looks like the paradigm minis you have only go to 75hz so a crossover at 100 might be needed. What is your sub and is it louder effects she and you want compared to voices?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis