Quasi active biamping

J

JackRock

Audiophyte
I have some Yamaha NS-A1748 and was looking for biamp advice. Found the following:
" And simply straight bi-amping the LF doesn't work properly. The crossover virtually sends all freqs to the LF driver which muddys the LFE signals put out by any decent amplifier. Solution? I installed a Numark 2600 adjustable gain equalizer between my H/K AVR8000 & my PA-2000 (which supplies power to the LF) rated at 100 wpc with ) With the equalizer disabled the system sounds awful, sending everything but the kitchen sink into the LF driver, but when you activate the psuedo-crossover eq I've installed, the LF really cleans up, and kicks some major bass!! I've set the crossover point around 120 Hz (everything below 120 boosted, everything above 120 attenuated) " Does this solution make sense, I thought biamping sent signal only to the LF crossover??

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Bi-amping sends the frequencies to each band, based on the design and settings. Some active crossovers have more than two bands and can work in a much more complex system, but the principals are the same.

What do you mean, by "Quasi Active biamping"? It's active, or it's not.

If this applies to your subwoofer, you can set its crossover to the highest frequency, but the outboard crossover will need to be set to a usable frequency so the sub does what it's supposed to, but doesn't receive frequencies that it doesn't need to produce. BTW- if it's actually a subwoofer, 120Hz is too high unless the satellite/main speakers are very small and can't produce much below that. In this case, I would recommend improving the main speakers, so the mid-bass is good enough to be satisfying on its own, without a sub, then add the low end that extends the range without making it obvious. Speakers that produce weak mid-bass make an audio system sound very anemic and it's very difficult to get it right through equalization because at some point, the speakers can't handle the amount of boost that usually comes from using an equalizer to fix problems that are inherent in the speakers. It won't make the speakers better.

If the photo shows the back of the equalizer that you have, there's no Low pass band, so it's always sending every frequency to the subwoofer unless you drop everything above the point where you want it to work and that causes terrible problems with the sound via phase shift.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve only heard of pro or powered speakers having active bi amping I’m not sure it’s possible the way most avrs do passive. How are you actively doing it. ??
I don’t see the real point of it since subs handle most the lfe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis