Quality of Physical vs Digital Download movies and games

B

bjoe1525

Audiophyte
Hi,
I'm considering downloading Metro Exodus on the Microsoft Store since it's one of the few Xbox One games with a Dolby Atmos Soundtrack. However, would I be downloading a compressed version of the game?

I know that streaming is usually compressed so it compromises the audio quality but what about downloading actual media?

Thanks

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi,
I'm considering downloading Metro Exodus on the Microsoft Store since it's one of the few Xbox One games with a Dolby Atmos Soundtrack. However, would I be downloading a compressed version of the game?

I know that streaming is usually compressed so it compromises the audio quality but what about downloading actual media?

Thanks
You are going to download it to your XBOX HDD, right? So, it won't be streamed while playing?

For disc games, nowadays the disc just tends to be your "license key". Which means that you still download the game to the HDD, and just need the disc in there to be able to play it (prove you still own the license to play the game).

I'm not sure if movies are the same though.

B

bjoe1525

Audiophyte
You are going to download it to your XBOX HDD, right? So, it won't be streamed while playing?

For disc games, nowadays the disc just tends to be your "license key". Which means that you still download the game to the HDD, and just need the disc in there to be able to play it (prove you still own the license to play the game).

Yes, it's downloaded to my XBOX HDD.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Digital downloads of movies (like the "free" one that comes with various blurays) are truncated/compressed versions. Don't have any movie download service experience otherwise, tho.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not aware of games being any different on physical disc vs. downloaded. But, I could certainly see manufacturers cutting quality of video inserts to cut download use. But, I wouldn't bet on that. I would think that difference would not be mind bogglingly different.

Movies are a different story. Few movies come anywhere near the bitrate of the physical media. So, you will definitely get hit with a quality loss on any movies you download online. Blu-ray Discs run at 30GB a movie. UHD Blu-ray Discs run even higher and are using the latest CODECs to boot. That's just not realistic for most download services.
That said, new movies and torrents would be a different discussion. You can get 1:1 movies going that route. Legality be highly questioned.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Games are identical whether you buy the disc or buy it digitally. Just remember, it's correct that you buy the license to the game when you go with real media. You can trade it in, sell it, loan it or even give it away when you no longer want it. If you throw your money away on a digital version, you are stuck with it forever and are given no choice but to delete it when done. If your account gets hacked you can no longer access the game. That to me is not ownership. Please support ownership. In any case, the game developers are still fixing and finishing the game when you buy something brand new and it's almost 100% you will need to either download the entire game or a significant patch once you pop in the disc. You are essentially using the digital version but with the added privilege of enjoying your legal civil rights. :cool:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Games are identical whether you buy the disc or buy it digitally. Just remember, it's correct that you buy the license to the game when you go with real media. You can trade it in, sell it, loan it or even give it away when you no longer want it. If you throw your money away on a digital version, you are stuck with it forever and are given no choice but to delete it when done. If your account gets hacked you can no longer access the game. That to me is not ownership. Please support ownership. In any case, the game developers are still fixing and finishing the game when you buy something brand new and it's almost 100% you will need to either download the entire game or a significant patch once you pop in the disc. You are essentially using the digital version but with the added privilege of enjoying your legal civil rights. :cool:
Oh yeah, but if you want to watch that movie or play that game on a different device.....your license is not valid for that application! You are gonna need a new license to enjoy your content.

J

jasonhorner

Audiophyte
When downloading Metro Exodus on the Microsoft Store, you'll likely receive a digital version of the game, including its Dolby Atmos Soundtrack. While downloading typically ensures higher quality compared to streaming due to uncompressed files, it's important to note that some platforms might still use compression techniques. However, specifically opting for download audio instead of streaming usually minimizes the compromise on audio quality, ensuring a better overall experience.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis