quality cheap stereo amps

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Takeereasy said:
Sorry if I'm hijacking here a bit mulester, but I've got a quick question for MacManNM. Is there something wrong with your Marantz? I've read your other thread about looking for decent pre/post and now I'm wondering if you're having second thoughts. I love mine more and more every day. It really has hit the spot and elminated my upgradeitis in that category.
No nothing wrong, I gave it to my father in-law, along with the entire BIC setup. Im remodeling my house and am going to probably go with in wall surrounds, and the BIC dv 84's/64clr up front. I'm a power nut, so Im wiring 4 20A feeds to the equipment rack, and using seperate amps. Plus I will have my 2ch setup seperate.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
MacManNM said:
No nothing wrong, I gave it to my father in-law, along with the entire BIC setup. Im remodeling my house and am going to probably go with in wall surrounds, and the BIC dv 84's/64clr up front. I'm a power nut, so Im wiring 4 20A feeds to the equipment rack, and using seperate amps. Plus I will have my 2ch setup seperate.
Just an analogy, but I think Mac's just sore because he spent all his money on his father-n-law and put together a kick a** system, and now only has $400 for a receiver. :eek: And now he can't find that outstanding deal on the Marantz SR8400 for less than $600 shipped via ebay. My heart goes out to you Mac. I've been looking on the net for something around $400 and am at a loss for words. I wonder if any of the members here have an older unit they'd like to get rid of for cheap. On the bright side, no one probably loves their son-in-law more than this guy.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Just an analogy, but I think Mac's just sore because he spent all his money on his father-n-law and put together a kick a** system, and now only has $400 for a receiver. :eek: And now he can't find that outstanding deal on the Marantz SR8400 for less than $600 shipped via ebay. My heart goes out to you Mac. I've been looking on the net for something around $400 and am at a loss for words. I wonder if any of the members here have an older unit they'd like to get rid of for cheap. On the bright side, no one probably loves their son-in-law more than this guy.

There may be some truth to that, but mainly, I don't like receivers. I am a seperates guy. Having a rack full of amps looks way cooler than one little receiver.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
"There may be some truth to that, but mainly, I don't like receivers. I am a seperates guy. Having a rack full of amps looks way cooler than one little receiver"

.....Mac, the current surround receivers are quality pieces of equipment full of technology, no doubt, but I'm going to have to have volume adjustment for each speaker, independent from the rest, period....if I had a surround receiver, every speaker connected to the receiver would be on an L-Pad for balance and localization.....

.....you mentioned your two channel setup....I still say, all that any of us have is two discrete channels, no matter what route we've gone.....

.....Funk-O-Meter, did you fall off the face of the Earth?....I've thoroughly enjoyed every word you've posted so far....the question I asked about using a compressor in home audio for vocals was legit and in no way loaded....please report back in or we'll have to dispatch the bloodhounds.....

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
mulester7 said:
"There may be some truth to that, but mainly, I don't like receivers. I am a seperates guy. Having a rack full of amps looks way cooler than one little receiver"

.....Mac, the current surround receivers are quality pieces of equipment full of technology, no doubt, but I'm going to have to have volume adjustment for each speaker, independent from the rest, period....if I had a surround receiver, every speaker connected to the receiver would be on an L-Pad for balance and localization.....

.....you mentioned your two channel setup....I still say, all that any of us have is two discrete channels, no matter what route we've gone.....

.....Funk-O-Meter, did you fall off the face of the Earth?....I've thoroughly enjoyed every word you've posted so far....the question I asked about using a compressor in home audio for vocals was legit and in no way loaded....please report back in or we'll have to dispatch the bloodhounds.....
I will put up my C-28 and proton amp up against any surround receiver under 2k.

It SOUNDS better.

I tested that Marantz, 8400, it sounded good, but it wasn't as pleasant to listen to as my combo. My setup might not spec out as good as this new stuff, but IMO it blows the new stuff away.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
"I will put up my C-28 and proton amp up against any surround receiver under 2k"

.....Mac, I love what I hear with my C-26 and amps, and I have total control concerning the attenuation of each speaker....I gave 300 for the C-26 in about '85, and it was probably 12-15 years old at that time....it has never missed a lick since I've had it, and the guy I got it from, who bought it new, said the same thing....Mac, that's 35 years of not missing a lick....with daily use....over.....

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
mulester7 said:
"I will put up my C-28 and proton amp up against any surround receiver under 2k"

.....Mac, I love what I hear with my C-26 and amps, and I have total control concerning the attenuation of each speaker....I gave 300 for the C-26 in about '85, and it was probably 12-15 years old at that time....it has never missed a lick since I've had it, and the guy I got it from, who bought it new, said the same thing....Mac, that's 35 years of not missing a lick....with daily use....over.....

Same thing with mine. It was built in '72. Heck I only clean the pot's once a year, and it really doesn't even need that. How many of these new receivers will still even power up in 30-35 years?

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....just curious, Mac, do you take your sub signal from the center channel output of your C-28?....I love the gain provided for the center output.....

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
mulester7 said:
.....just curious, Mac, do you take your sub signal from the center channel output of your C-28?....I love the gain provided for the center output.....

I don't use a sub with the c28. It makes me sick to even think of doing that.

CDP-390>C28>Proton>XR16's

Input to output. no more no less.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....well, it's for sure I'm not here to promote any illnesses, Mac.....so you stay pure with the high dollar stuff, huh?....I have grown to firmly believe there is ALWAYS room for a little tasteful sub application.....just enough to make it sound like it's the mains going to the bottom......

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
MacManNM said:
I don't use a sub with the c28. It makes me sick to even think of doing that.

CDP-390>C28>Proton>XR16's

Input to output. no more no less.
I would have thought the sub was to augment the bass in your speakers. That really has nothing to do with a preamp. I never heard of anyone using Mac speakers before. Mac electronics yes, speakers no. I must admit, I have seen Mac speakers advertised. Someone must buy them. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis