Quad sub in a small Dedicated HT room

K

kearkg

Enthusiast
hey forum members, i have dedicated HT room and i've come to the stage where i need to decide what subs to use.
I'd like to plan for a quad sub implementation and at the moment was thinking about using 4 x Klipsch SPL-100s.
the room size is:

13.6 feet in length
12.3 feet in width
8.3 feet in height

so it comes up to about 1388 cubic feet.
planning to do a corner loaded placement for the 4 subs.

my speaker setup is
Yamaha RX-A1080
Klipsch RP-8000fs
Klipsch RP-504C

really what im after at the end of the day is to get the room pressurized and have nice solid bass hitting me when im watching movies. maybe i don't need to do quad subs, but its an idea that i have so i thought i'd run with it.

anyways, given my room size, i would like to know what sub and quantity other members would recommend to do here?
im based in australia so i dont have access to rythmik, monoprice or hsu subs. i do have access to klipsch, svs and a few other ones.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd go with SVS over Klipsch subs any and every day of the week. Corner loading might not be the best idea, though, ideally you should do the sub crawl to find the locations with the most even response and populate them. Doing all 4 corners would be extremely hit or miss in terms of how it would end up sounding at any of the seating positions.

For that size room and the sake of simplicity I'd probably go with two PC 2000 pro's.

K

kearkg

Enthusiast
thanks for the suggestion, haven't thought about the pc 2000 pro. will look into that and check it out. ddoes sound like a great recommendation :)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Forget Klipsch. And yes two SVS PB2000's will pressurize that room

K

kearkg

Enthusiast
thanks mazersteven, pb2000s sound like a really great option. have been watching and reading a lot of reviews on them.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
One PB-2000 Pro would work great in your room. Two will Absolutely kill it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think four subs is a great idea. My first choice for limited floor space would be the PC2k pro. And as mazersteven said, two would destroy that room. There’s much more to multiple subs than output though, as the more you add, the more you can flatten the FR.
If you have some freedom of placement, you should be able to get good results with one really good sub. But that will only work for one seat usually, and two is normally recommended.
That means doing the sub crawl as mentioned. However, as @NINaudio said, corner loading can be hit or miss, BUT, it can also make setup easier as it will excite more room modes at any given frequency range and therefore you’re left with pulling down peaks more than trying to boost nulls. But every room is different so the crawl is a good start.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I concur, PB2000 pro... or the PC2000 pro. :) You have a small room and inches can matter! :)

Regarding subwoofer placement...
Do some research, and learn a little about room acoustics and how Low Frequencies behave in a small room. This will serve you well as you will learn to get the best out of your entire system!
For Subwoofer placement, the two main approaches are the Welti/Devantier version which recommends symmetrical placement, usually of pairs of Subs, and the Geddes approach which argues for strategic asymmetric placement and considers your mains as LF Sources in the big picture.
Some simple googling will lead you to a veritable rabbit warren of information. Avoid the conjecture and look at the sources. :)
FWIW, I recommend the Geddes approach.
But it is your system... so your choice. ;)

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Someone said too much sub was not a thing. Maybe some PB-16's? 4 of them?

Evil maniacal laugh inserted!

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
To be had though, SVS on their web page does have a sub matching tool that may have the speakers you have and suggestions to the choice of sub for your application. I actually have a SB-3000 mated to Martin Logan Motion LX-16's myself in my office and love the combo. IMHO great sub.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

200w-1.gif

K

kearkg

Enthusiast
tried the svs sub matching tool, interesting, it did have my speaker combination and came up with the pb16-ultra as the option.

K

kearkg

Enthusiast

lol guess over pressurisation is not a thing.

K

kearkg

Enthusiast
does anyone here have any experience with rel? It was suggested to me to use a pair of 1205s . they work out about $500 cheaper each here per sub. compared to a pc/pb 2000 pro.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
does anyone here have any experience with rel? It was suggested to me to use a pair of 1205s . they work out about $500 cheaper each here per sub. compared to a pc/pb 2000 pro.
Who Suggested that???

Rel does make nice subs but those will not produce the output the PB2000 will. And they IMO are over priced.

K

kearkg

Enthusiast
i do have access to an ex demo PSA t18. are they any good?

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
i do have access to an ex demo PSA t18. are they any good?
Yes, very good

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis