Quad Cd: Quad sound possible through Marantz DCD 1600 NE SACD Player, playable through Parasound 2250 v.2 Amp??

M

muzikgeye

Audiophyte
Is it possible to hear Quad sound from Quad CDs on my Marantz DCD 1600 NE SACD player. I assume that because it is a SACD player it will play multi layers of sound. But is the specific Quad sound reproduction possible on this unit. And at the same time, besides buying 2 more speakers, is it possible to reproduce the sound through my Parasound 2250 v.2 amplifier? Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is it possible to hear Quad sound from Quad CDs on my Marantz DCD 1600 NE SACD player. I assume that because it is a SACD player it will play multi layers of sound. But is the specific Quad sound reproduction possible on this unit. And at the same time, besides buying 2 more speakers, is it possible to reproduce the sound through my Parasound 2250 v.2 amplifier? Thanks.
The answer is no. Your amp only has two channels and you need at least four. Also your Marantz player is only two channel and can not play a multichannel SACD except from the two channel track.

So you need an SACD player that will play multichannel SACDs. In general only higher end disc players that play CDs, DVDs, BDs and SACDs will do this. In addition most receivers and AVPs do not have multichannel analog inputs any more. So you will need a unit that can decode DSD from HDMI.

So the bottom line is that you basically need a totally new system.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Wow, I haven't heard a quad recording since hearing Pink Floyd The Wall. My friend's Mom bought it and played in on her system. This was back in ~'79 when I was in HS. Weren't those old quadrophonic recordings only available on reel to reel?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, I haven't heard a quad recording since hearing Pink Floyd The Wall. My friend's Mom bought it and played in on her system. This was back in ~'79 when I was in HS. Weren't those old quadrophonic recordings only available on reel to reel?
There have been some quadrophonic vinyls produced in the 1970's and as well as some quad eight track cassettes. You will find some details if you search in Wikipedia:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No, there were matrix coded LP discs. They were not very effective. There were discrete four channel reel to reel machines. Now some of those quadraphonic recordings have been released on four channel SACD on the Pentatone label, and I have a few of those. I also have some matrixed LPs from 'back in the day'.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're limited by both player and amp at 2ch. I only collect sacd for multich myself, you just need different hardware if you want the multich versions.

M

muzikgeye

Audiophyte
The answer is no. Your amp only has two channels and you need at least four. Also your Marantz player is only two channel and can not play a multichannel SACD except from the two channel track.

So you need an SACD player that will play multichannel SACDs. In general only higher end disc players that play CDs, DVDs, BDs and SACDs will do this. In addition most receivers and AVPs do not have multichannel analog inputs any more. So you will need a unit that can decode DSD from HDMI.

So the bottom line is that you basically need a totally new system.
The answer to my question is what I was thinking: basically I need a whole new system. So if I may, I have 2 follow up questions.
1. Is it possible to get quadraphonic sound from quad CDs using a blu ray player and my Onkyo AV Receiver TX-NR 646, plus two more speakers of course.
2. If the answer above is no, can you tell me the cheapest new set up I can buy specifically to play Quad CDs. Thank you again.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
The answer to my question is what I was thinking: basically I need a whole new system. So if I may, I have 2 follow up questions.
1. Is it possible to get quadraphonic sound from quad CDs using a blu ray player and my Onkyo AV Receiver TX-NR 646, plus two more speakers of course.
2. If the answer above is no, can you tell me the cheapest new set up I can buy specifically to play Quad CDs. Thank you again.
Just rip your Quad cd's to file and use a media player.

Have you ever really heard a Quad cd/vinyl mix though ?
There is a very good reason the format barely lasted 2 years.

The results are more annoying than pleasing for most material....the separation of instruments outside of the normal soundstage is just a gimmick. Bands perform in front of you...the drummer and the lead guitarist aren't back by the rear exits. :)

This format was an early precursor to surround sound.
A better alternative was to run a back set of speakers with the negatives tied together for a nice effect. (thanks, Brian Eno)

M

muzikgeye

Audiophyte
Just rip your Quad cd's to file and use a media player.

Have you ever really heard a Quad cd/vinyl mix though ?
There is a very good reason the format barely lasted 2 years.

The results are more annoying than pleasing for most material....the separation of instruments outside of the normal soundstage is just a gimmick. Bands perform in front of you...the drummer and the lead guitarist aren't back by the rear exits. :)

This format was an early precursor to surround sound.
A better alternative was to run a back set of speakers with the negatives tied together for a nice effect. (thanks, Brian Eno)
I see. So that raises some other questions.
1. Ripping my Quad CDs to a file: so, does that process preserve the integrity of the Quad sound, and then if I hear the file through a media player, won't I still get stereo sound? (but then using your set up will get the Quad sound?)
2. Am I to understand that this "Quad cd/vinyl mix through is something you don't like or at least reason it is not worth the effort, money and equipment?
3. To verify, you say it is just a gimmick, which, without ever having heard a Quad record or CD properly, I will agree. I just felt that the trouble to make a record, only to have to buy 2 additional speakers, only to have to sit in one spot to appreciate the results, was a stupid idea. Still, if I am able, I would like to hear and experience a Quad sound for myself, if it isn't too difficult and price prohibitive.
4. Your better alternative I would like to try, but I am not understanding it. After hooking up 2 more speakers, are you saying to get the negative (black) wires, tie them together, attach the 2 positive wires as usual into the speakers, play the ripped files containing the Quad music, and I can at least hear the Quad sound that way, in a very cost-effective way?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Your player must have the codec for DSD. That receiver does not support DSD. There is no cheap solution for this application.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I see. So that raises some other questions.
1. Ripping my Quad CDs to a file: so, does that process preserve the integrity of the Quad sound, and then if I hear the file through a media player, won't I still get stereo sound? (but then using your set up will get the Quad sound?)
2. Am I to understand that this "Quad cd/vinyl mix through is something you don't like or at least reason it is not worth the effort, money and equipment?
3. To verify, you say it is just a gimmick, which, without ever having heard a Quad record or CD properly, I will agree. I just felt that the trouble to make a record, only to have to buy 2 additional speakers, only to have to sit in one spot to appreciate the results, was a stupid idea. Still, if I am able, I would like to hear and experience a Quad sound for myself, if it isn't too difficult and price prohibitive.
4. Your better alternative I would like to try, but I am not understanding it. After hooking up 2 more speakers, are you saying to get the negative (black) wires, tie them together, attach the 2 positive wires as usual into the speakers, play the ripped files containing the Quad music, and I can at least hear the Quad sound that way, in a very cost-effective way?
I was trying to say....forget about Quad.
It wasn't worth it 50 years ago, and sure ain't worth 2 seconds of thought or effort now.

And no, that ancient surround sound method wasn't meant for Quad.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So you will need a unit that can decode DSD from HDMI.
The AVR doesn’t have to support DSD as SACD players have an option to convert DSD to LPCM before outputting over HDMI.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

OK, thanks for your time.
The problem is that this is really old technology now. That Quad arrangement of two front and two back speakers is now an historic arrangement. In my room I could play that Quad SACD and reproduce it, as originally intended.
I have technology in my system that goes back years, as I don't throw much away. I can play 78 rpm discs going back to almost 100 years, as I have all the Eq codes of the various manufacturers. I can play the larger share of the technology between that and the present day. Not all like 8 track cartridges for instance. I never really consciously intended that. I just have a problem parting with good gear.

So, I have come to regard a very large chuck of my system as a museum. I named it that as a joke at first. However, I have now come to regarded it as a truly unique working museum. Visitors with interest in this history are just fascinated to hear technology from our past optimally reproduced. Many times experiencing what they never knew existed, like dbx LPs for instance.

So, slowly it has dawned on me that this museum, as I jokingly refer to it, is actually one of the most complete and interesting working museums of historic audio technology in the world. That is because you can hear any of these now rare items at the flick of switch, or press of a button, optimally demonstrated. It is not a look and only see museum, but very much a working one. No one has been more surprised by this realization than me.

However, I am 77, and when I am not around, I suspect this collection like most will be scattered.

Any member in good standing is welcome to arrange a visit.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
The problem is that this is really old technology now. That Quad arrangement of two front and two back speakers is now an historic arrangement. In my room I could play that Quad SACD and reproduce it, as originally intended.
I have technology in my system that goes back years, as I don't throw much away. I can play 78 rpm discs going back to almost 100 years, as I have all the Eq codes of the various manufacturers. I can play the larger share of the technology between that and the present day. Not all like 8 track cartridges for instance. I never really consciously intended that. I just have a problem parting with good gear.

So, I have come to regard a very large chuck of my system as a museum. I named it that as a joke at first. However, I have now come to regarded it as a truly unique working museum. Visitors with interest in this history are just fascinated to hear technology from our past optimally reproduced. Many times experiencing what they never knew existed, like dbx LPs for instance.

So, slowly it has dawned on me that this museum, as I jokingly refer to it, is actually one of the most complete and interesting working museums of historic audio technology in the world. That is because you can hear any of these now rare items at the flick of switch, or press of a button, optimally demonstrated. It is not a look and only see museum, but very much a working one. No one has been more surprised by this realization than me.

However, I am 77, and when I am not around, I suspect this collection like most will be scattered.

I'm 69 and I do remember most of that stuff. I actually had a Kraco 8 track in my car and a Pioneer Centrex 8 track in my 1st system in 1978. Ask your relatives if they are interested in any of your stuff and make sure they get it. Thanks for sharing. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A new disc player capable of more than 2ch is needed, I use several Sony bluray players (and an Oppo). Some avrs can decode dsd (I have a few) but as said if your player can output decoded dsd via lpcm that works, too. A normal speaker setup for surround isn't quite the same as for quad, but you can adjust speaker position. Not all SACDs are quad, but for many sacd recordings quad mixes were used.

highfigh

highfigh

Old equipment? Pffft! I won't be impressed unless you have a wire recorder. :)

Why not arrange for the disposition of the equipment ahead of time? Smithsonian, maybe?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis