Q? about Bass Management *Setting, on windows 10 via HDMI from GPU.

K

Kro-1

Audiophyte
Hello, I need help.

Questions related to bass management setting on windows 10, HDMI from GPU as source for audio.
- When using a crossover under the windows 10 bass management setting, the audible output is lower. And this is at any volume not just high, but low.
- So then when I Turn bass management off, the audible output increase by quite a bit, Not sure how much louder but it is noticeable by a lot . . and this is at any level volume too.

For those of you using (Windows 10) HDMI from your GPU for audio in your setup, please test this out,
- Thank you.

Look forward to your responses, everyone.
~ ~ ~ ~
- Not that this matters for what I'm asking but I use a crossover of 70 Hz

K

Kro-1

Audiophyte
No responses yet, It won't take long to test this it's a quick switch of settings to check this.

Any response or info would be nice.
Pretty sure HTPC users who use the setting/feature from their setups will know..

Basically wanting to know why the output is lower with the bass management setting turned on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt many use the HTPC for bass management as a guess but rather dedicated gear for that purpose....but out of curiousity might include your specific speaker setup.

K

Kro-1

Audiophyte
I doubt many use the HTPC for bass management as a guess but rather dedicated gear for that purpose....but out of curiousity might include your specific speaker setup.
Thanks for your reply,

so, my setup isn't a dedicated HTPC setup.
I use the HDMI output from my GPU, to an HDMI extractor(I use as like a sound card)(I will link the amazon title of the item and hopefully a link below) This HDMI extractor takes analog(?)/RCA out from the HDMI / 7.1 (but I'm using only 5.1 for my setup) Links:

Title:

SKSL HDMI Digital Audio Converter Support 3 Modes for Audio Output Blue-Ray Player LPCM 4k Video,LPCM 7.1CH HDMI Audio Converter

Link:

HDMI EXTRACTOR

THEN-> for the 5 channels, I Send to my Yamaha MULTI CHANNEL INPUTS.
- also since this is a PC/DESK SETUP, in an apartment (other people living here also) setup, I like to have separate control of the sub, so I just send the ' .1 ' to a volume control from the extractor.

For settings:
Windows 10 // 5.1 // Bass Management - Crossover 70 Hz

Receiver: ALL speakers set to large seeing the Crossover and settings are done on the PC/WINDOWS.

I've done it this way for a while. I Don't use the HDMI output from the extractor. I went with this device because my gaming computer actually picks up or puts out too much noise / interference I don't know how to get around or fix that. The HDMI EXTRACTOR pretty much gets around all that some how. or atleast does a way better job. ( I was using an ASUS XONAR DGX before all this )

..Anyways if there's anything I Missed let me know. I Don't know if my setup has much to do with it or if it will help, seeing as it's more a windows setting than a setup thing(I THINK) - aren't the people who use HTPC having to set the windows audio settings too? If they're playing Movies from the computer audio/signal has to go from somewhere, right?..

One way I See it done properly is HDMI out to a Denon or some other receiver with HDMI inputs.

What other ways are HTPC's accomplished?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I did not know that bass management was a Windows 10 feature. I did not see any mention of it in "sounds & hardware". I've never used my PC for delivery of movies to my home theater via HDMI so I'm not at all in-tune to what's possible. I also do not know how to output multi-channel music downloads from my PC to home theater, so far, I've just copied multi-channel music files to a thumb drive and via my OPPO I can enjoy that multi-channel from my home theater. At any rate, my experience with bass management has had its highs and lows, mostly lows. It's a never ending struggle to get it right simply because as master volume goes up or down the bass either needs more or less boost.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe @AcuDefTechGuy can offer some htpc experience altho believe he doesn't use it for bass management but believe he builds his own htpcs in any case.

ps Just saw a post by @mojave who seems to have some solid htpc experience

Last edited:
K

Kro-1

Audiophyte

I want to add here that the way I've done my setup, it's sort of like how the 5.1 / 7.1 Computer speakers are done using the computers settings for settings, hooking up the RCA cables straight to the MULTI CHANNEL INPUTS.. The receiver is an older one no HDMI, but does have RCA INS / PRE-OUTS(for the 5/7.1)

The setup is basically a much better version of computer speaker setups(how i have it done)

Still though I feel like the setting I referred to in my first post Should be really easy to check and test out. I Don't think it's the Extractors fault or doing. - My guess it's Something to do with enabling and disabling bass management / crossover on windows 10, in a setup like mine.

For those @ things, the 2 people you @ , Do they see when they @ their name and hopefully come here? or is that just to link their profile for me to see? - I'm new to forums.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I want to add here that the way I've done my setup, it's sort of like how the 5.1 / 7.1 Computer speakers are done using the computers settings for settings, hooking up the RCA cables straight to the MULTI CHANNEL INPUTS.. The receiver is an older one no HDMI, but does have RCA INS / PRE-OUTS(for the 5/7.1)

The setup is basically a much better version of computer speaker setups(how i have it done)

Still though I feel like the setting I referred to in my first post Should be really easy to check and test out. I Don't think it's the Extractors fault or doing. - My guess it's Something to do with enabling and disabling bass management / crossover on windows 10, in a setup like mine.

For those @ things, the 2 people you @ , Do they see when they @ their name and hopefully come here? or is that just to link their profile for me to see? - I'm new to forums.
I'd test it for you but I don't have multich analog outs from my pc, I just use hdmi from pc to avr if I need something from my pc, but I rarely even do that as I generally just stream music from my ripped flacs via wifi so no hard connection needed. Using hdmi out would bypass the analog section so it wouldn't tell you much about what's going on with yours since you're using the internal dac/analog section of your pc. If I had to guess, it's simply running out of juice in some way (curious, how do you set levels and delays? does W10 handle all that?).

Yes, with the software this forum uses if you use a member's name preceded by the @ symbol they would get a notification that they've been mentioned....they may not pay attention to those, tho so they may or may not show up or it could just take a wile. Just not many here (or elsewhere) that I've seen use the pc's soundcard for surround management, think most simply use hdmi if they use their computers to avoid the internal dac. It may take a while. You might try here, think there's more traffic on the subject there I think.

You can always just turn the volume up, can't you?

K

Kro-1

Audiophyte
I just use hdmi from pc to avr
- I'm pretty sure, still when you use HDMI direct to HDMI capable receiver, there's settings on windows 10 for the Sound Device through HDMI, like setting 7.1 speakers and more.. I could be wrong for certain setups.

(curious, how do you set levels and delays?
- As for levels I Set them on windows 10 to 100%, I adjust the levels for fronts/center and two surrounds how I like it(on the receiver levels). This is mostly for gaming right now, I sit at a desk. .. - As for Delays I'm not knowledgeable for this part really. I think there's SUBWOOFER delay settings(out there On some subs). I Think because my setup is a gaming / PC setup I've not bothered with delays, The speakers are fairly close in a medium sized bedroom. But delays would be done on the receiver if capable I guess.

Thanks for the help, and about the @ thing :)

And, yes I Can just turn it up :) .. Another theory I have is when turning the Bass management off, there's less processing or something like that, going on. Then Turning it on there's more work being done on the OS / HDMI / signal / settings, ..maybe.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
- I'm pretty sure, still when you use HDMI direct to HDMI capable receiver, there's settings on windows 10 for the Sound Device through HDMI, like setting 7.1 speakers and more.. I could be wrong for certain setups.

- As for levels I Set them on windows 10 to 100%, I adjust the levels for fronts/center and two surrounds how I like it(on the receiver levels). This is mostly for gaming right now, I sit at a desk. .. - As for Delays I'm not knowledgeable for this part really. I think there's SUBWOOFER delay settings(out there On some subs). I Think because my setup is a gaming / PC setup I've not bothered with delays, The speakers are fairly close in a medium sized bedroom. But delays would be done on the receiver if capable I guess.

Thanks for the help, and about the @ thing :)

And, yes I Can just turn it up :) .. Another theory I have is when turning the Bass management off, there's less processing or something like that, going on. Then Turning it on there's more work being done on the OS / HDMI / signal / settings, ..maybe.
Delay (or distance in an avr) is about timing the signal from each speaker to your ears so that they arrive simultaneously. If using the multi-ch inputs on the avr many dsp functions are disabled, altho not sure if that applies to the delay/distance functions (I've used only 2ch external input). May not matter in your situation.

Sorry couldn't help more.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis