putting together an av system...would like some input please

R

rockymtnman

Enthusiast
I am building a system and am having trouble choosing a receiver....I am planning on getting the Westinghouse LVM42w2 LCD Monitor(1080p) and the Orb Peoples Choice Home Theater Speaker System (asthetics are a concern for my wife). I have found a Yamaha RX-V 4600 brand new (demo model) for under $1200 at a local retail outlet and am leaning toward buying it. My dilema is that the Yamaha doesnt do upscaling or transcoding, it only has HDMI switching to 1080i. Are there any hardware devices out there that I can add to this system that will accomplish upscaling and transcoding, or is there another receiver I should be considering?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver options

If having a single HDMI connection to the display is important to you, check out the Yamaha RX-V2600 or RX-V1600. You can find good deals on both now that the new 2700 and 1700 models are out.
Both will convert all video sources to HDMI and the 2600 will do upscalling to 720p, or 1080i. Based on the reviews, the receiver upscalling is not as good as many DVD players like the Oppo Digital.
The new and improved Yamaha RX-V2700 has a better uscalling chip but I haven't seen any reviews yet.

In terms of audio power and performance, an RX-V659 would have plenty for your Orb speakers, but you would need component video and 1 or more HDMI connections to the display.

R

rockymtnman

Enthusiast
jcPanny said:
If having a single HDMI connection to the display is important to you, check out the Yamaha RX-V2600 or RX-V1600. You can find good deals on both now that the new 2700 and 1700 models are out.
Both will convert all video sources to HDMI and the 2600 will do upscalling to 720p, or 1080i. Based on the reviews, the receiver upscalling is not as good as many DVD players like the Oppo Digital.
The new and improved Yamaha RX-V2700 has a better uscalling chip but I haven't seen any reviews yet.

In terms of audio power and performance, an RX-V659 would have plenty for your Orb speakers, but you would need component video and 1 or more HDMI connections to the display.
thanks for the input jc....i like the idea of having hd radio on the rx-v4600...though a receiver that got internet radio would be a consideration also. are there any devices i can add to the rx-v 4600 that would do the upscaling and transcoding?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Video Scaller

An outboard video scaller will perform better will perform better than the conversion in any receiver or DVD player, but they are pretty expensive.
The iScan HD is the entry level model from DVDO and it sells for $1k.
http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_ishd.php
Sometimes you can get a deal on a used scaller from people who are upgrading to a newer model. Someone was selling an iScan Ultra in the classifieds for $300, but it only converts to 480P.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I am looking at a tv to complete my system as well. I believe I have found the one I want. Not certain if this spec does what you are looking for, but it reads that way to me. I will list the spec, and then post the link.

"1920 x 1080 Panel Resolution When it comes to high-definition TV the pinnacle of performance is achieved by using 1920 x 1080 display panels. And BRAVIA V-Series televisions have them. Full HD 1920 x 1080 panel resolution with over 2 million pixels (more than twice that of 720p HDTV) is exactly what you need to reproduce the 1080p content that can be delivered by our cutting edge 1080p Blu-ray disc™ player. And working with BRAVIA Engine™ PRO everything from standard definition and high definition is upconverted to 1080p for a picture so real it’s like you’re actually there."

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDL40V2500&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_flatpanel_32to40

Last edited:
R

rockymtnman

Enthusiast
was thinking about the dvdo iscan hd+ until i saw it has no hdmi connections. thanks for the thoughts folks....i think all problems would be solved if there were a monitor that had an upscaler/transcoder that brought the signal up to its native resolution. there is most likely one out there but probably not in my current price range.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
ALL HDTVs upscale to their native resolution and the Westinghouse LCD you are considering will be no exception. Transcoding is another thing and for that you do need a receiver with that feature.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
DVI vs. HDMI

The DVI input and output on the iScanHD+ are compatable with HDMI. You use HDMI to DVI cables. The only difference is that HDMI can cary an audio signal and DVI can't.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
One item of note is that the Iscan HD+ does not process all anolog input to the DVI output. 720p or 1080i and above if fed throught the component input will not be processed or passed through to the DVI output. It is passed through to the anolog output and you can use a HD-15 breakout cable to conver it to component.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis