Push vs. Pull Marketing in Hi-Fi Audio

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Ever wonder about the different marketing strategies behind the way various consumer electronics companies present their products? Some are boutique brands, available only at prestigious, appointment-only retailers. Some are very widely distributed, at Walmart, Best Buy, everywhere. Some are direct online sales only. It's all very intentional. Here's a peek behind the curtain on how these business models target their consumers.

Read: Push vs. Pull Marketing in Hi-Fi Audio

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Ever wonder about the different marketing strategies behind the way various consumer electronics companies present their products? Some are boutique brands, available only at prestigious, appointment-only retailers. Some are very widely distributed, at Walmart, Best Buy, everywhere. Some are direct online sales only. It's all very intentional. Here's a peek behind the curtain on how these business models target their consumers.

Read: Push vs. Pull Marketing in Hi-Fi Audio
I liked that optical illusion photo you included as the article's primary photo. It took me 20 minutes to find the hidden stereo receiver.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
It's all very intentional.

lol, ya' think?

But what is funny is how many companies just don't understand the distribution strategies needed to be successful in their industry.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Good read and though I'm professionally far from any marketing or sales, as curious person I am always fascinated to read about the "other" side of consumerism.
Couple of comments, both a bit off topic:

"Now Ford has caught back up to Honda and easily matches their quality and performance."
Never owned either, but based on anecdotal evidence of my client had Lexus (aka Toyota) sedans for last 15 years. Zero issues, besides regular wear and tear and every 3 years change to new leased car.
This year they had decided to try something new and took lease for 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.
They had nothing but troubles with the car. Initial quality control (or lack of it) was terrible.
I could keep going with stuff like this:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/02/13/ford-motor-co-defect/97856978/
http://kansascity.legalexaminer.com/defective-dangerous-products/did-you-know-ford-explorers-rollover-crashes-continue-to-happen/

So yeah - Ford is no longer horribly behind Honda, but In my opinion they still awful lot of territory to catch up before they have any chance of "easily matching their quality"

One more point Steve, in consumer product consideration you've mentioned this:
  • Is it a value?
On this topic by itself I could probably write 2000-3000 words article. Just going to leave this fascinating read here:
http://business.time.com/2012/01/26/in-major-shakeup-j-c-penney-promises-no-more-fake-prices/
and what followed it next year:
http://business.time.com/2013/04/09/the-5-big-mistakes-that-led-to-ron-johnsons-ouster-at-jc-penney/
(specifically read this part: He Misread What Shoppers Want)

Then let's talk about perceived value for end-user

carole5

carole5

Enthusiast
Thanks for the article. The different layers of customers made me think about affiliate marketing. What is your opinion about affiliate marketing? Is it a good thing for the customers?
Just in case I am not experienced in the marketing field.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
lol, ya' think?

But what is funny is how many companies just don't understand the distribution strategies needed to be successful in their industry.
I am involved in the business of advertising and marketing; yet, I have not noticed what you have alluded to even though I try to be aware of such things, since it's a way of soliciting new business. However, what I have noticed is the power of YouTube provocateurs to make or break a product. What is so discouraging about it all is some of these highly influential product reviewers do not have the credentials to profess on their topic; yet, non-critical thinkers still seem to take the bad advice. An example: In the arena of Marksmanship Training, I watched about a dozen YouTube videos about how to sight-in a rifle the other day. None of these videos mentioned how to apply sight adjustment from linier bullet displacement at target to minute of angle correction on the rifle, which is essential to the process. This revealed these purveyors of knowledge did not have enough knowledge of the subject to be teaching the concept. At any rate, seems to me, marketers today need to be cognizant of YouTube, or no matter the marketing strategy, their product may be rejected by the market.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I am involved in the business of advertising and marketing; yet, I have not noticed what you have alluded to even though I try to be aware of such things, since it's a way of soliciting new business. However, what I have noticed is the power of YouTube provocateurs to make or break a product. What is so discouraging about it all is some of these highly influential product reviewers do not have the credentials to profess on their topic; yet, non-critical thinkers still seem to take the bad advice. An example: In the arena of Marksmanship Training, I watched about a dozen YouTube videos about how to sight-in a rifle the other day. None of these videos mentioned how to apply sight adjustment from linier bullet displacement at target to minute of angle correction on the rifle, which is essential to the process. This revealed these purveyors of knowledge did not have enough knowledge of the subject to be teaching the concept. At any rate, seems to me, marketers today need to be cognizant of YouTube, or no matter the marketing strategy, their product may be rejected by the market.
Oh, don't even get us started about YouTubers saying "Listen to these new speakers I got."

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, don't even get us started about YouTubers saying "Listen to these new speakers I got."
And the side trends, such as with things like gardening, or looking at something uninteresting like a pocket knife where you will be subjected to the prepper trend. With hardware and machinery, everyone's an engineer. With anything more organic than that, a frign' hippie.

carole5

carole5

Enthusiast
probably, I am out of the topic. May I ask you to give your opinion about my previous post, please?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for the article. The different layers of customers made me think about affiliate marketing. What is your opinion about affiliate marketing? Is it a good thing for the customers?
Just in case I am not experienced in the marketing field.
You're going to need to define what you think affiliate marketing to be before I can give you an opinion. Give an example please. If you're talking about 3rd party publishers, I do not have an opinion, I am not in that business.

Last edited:
carole5

carole5

Enthusiast
As far as I understand affiliate marketing is something when a person promotes the stuff to customers. In some occasions, it is similar to pull marketing because the seller tries to reach better brand awareness and increase demand.Am I right?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis