Pulsing bass noise when adjusting volume AV receiver

B

Beriso

Enthusiast
Hello to everyone.
I am experiencing a strange noise coming out from all of the speakers when adjusting sound level no metter if I do it from the knob of the receiver, the remote control or through the android application that controls my av receiver. I have a Yamaha rxv 585 with speakers focal sib and cub3. I bought them all together one month ago. All new. I have the connection done with a 2x4mm copper cables.The receiver is set to 5.1 channels, but this seems to doesn't matter, because the problem ocuurs in presence assign, bi amp... For example, when I adjust the volume I hear like a bumb or pulse/bass sound that corresponds to each level increment/decrement of the sound. It's something very weird and I am not sure If it existed at the beginning. What I know is that I noticed it several days ago. If I long press down in no matter what direction you can hear it, almost like the changes in db have a sound on their own and you can hear it ticking up or down. In order to hear it from the speakers I really have to stick my ears to them. It's barely noticeable. With the subwoofer is more pronounced. However in order to hear it I have to be listening a non bassy music while changing volume and to pay attention. Going crazy already. The supposed problem is from all the sources ( HDMI, USB, net radio...) And it is clearly heard when for example I am on net radio or USB and I pause or stop the song and start to adjust the volume. This is how I noticed it. So I am starting to wondering if the sound control of AV receivers emits a sound or a noise on their own or it is abnormal phenomenon. Any suggestions or advice would be very appreciated by me. Thank you very much!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't say what might cause it but two things I'd try....first a soft reset (merely unplug it for a few minutes). If that doesn't clear it up then try a full reset (factory reset/microprocessor reset--instructions should be in your manual).

B

Beriso

Enthusiast
Can't say what might cause it but two things I'd try....first a soft reset (merely unplug it for a few minutes). If that doesn't clear it up then try a full reset (factory reset/microprocessor reset--instructions should be in your manual).
Hello, thank you for the answer.
So, it is not normal to hear any kind of sound coming out when adjusting volume?
I already did unplugged it the other day, but I didn't wait for few minutes. No result. I am going to do it tonight and leave it overnight. As regards the factory reset, I am going to do it tomorrow, because I have a day off. I will be posting the results tomorrow.
Regards

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello, thank you for the answer.
So, it is not normal to hear any kind of sound coming out when adjusting volume?
I already did unplugged it the other day, but I didn't wait for few minutes. No result. I am going to do it tonight and leave it overnight. As regards the factory reset, I am going to do it tomorrow, because I have a day off. I will be posting the results tomorrow.
Regards
Unless you find something in the manual to indicate it has such a "feature".....none of my avrs do that and from your description sounds more like a glitch than anything....

B

Beriso

Enthusiast
Unless you find something in the manual to indicate it has such a "feature".....none of my avrs do that and from your description sounds more like a glitch than anything....

Left it unplugged over night. No change. Did the reset and no change. The other thing I am noticing is that when I adjust the dB of the subwoofer and the speakers in the menu they all make the same noise/sound I am talking about. And once more, to hear it I have to really stuck my ears to the speakers. With the subwoofer, however, it's more audible. It's like a tiny bass note/sound with every increment/decrement of the volume. I also connected the receiver in other socket, but no change. Any other suggestions? Thank you for the time spared!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Left it unplugged over night. No change. Did the reset and no change. The other thing I am noticing is that when I adjust the dB of the subwoofer and the speakers in the menu they all make the same noise/sound I am talking about. And once more, to hear it I have to really stuck my ears to the speakers. With the subwoofer, however, it's more audible. It's like a tiny bass note/sound with every increment/decrement of the volume. I also connected the receiver in other socket, but no change. Any other suggestions? Thank you for the time spared!
Only to go through your manual and make sure that's not a "feature" you can turn off. I don't know what that would be otherwise....maybe someone else will have run into this....perhaps call customer service for Yamaha or post up in the Yamaha owners threads here to see if anyone else has experienced similar with theirs....https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/yamaha-owners’-thread-avr-pre-pro-amp.112880/

D

DEM0N

Audiophyte
did you figure it out ? I’m having the same issue with my Denon

Hello to everyone.
I am experiencing a strange noise coming out from all of the speakers when adjusting sound level no metter if I do it from the knob of the receiver, the remote control or through the android application that controls my av receiver. I have a Yamaha rxv 585 with speakers focal sib and cub3. I bought them all together one month ago. All new. I have the connection done with a 2x4mm copper cables.The receiver is set to 5.1 channels, but this seems to doesn't matter, because the problem ocuurs in presence assign, bi amp... For example, when I adjust the volume I hear like a bumb or pulse/bass sound that corresponds to each level increment/decrement of the sound. It's something very weird and I am not sure If it existed at the beginning. What I know is that I noticed it several days ago. If I long press down in no matter what direction you can hear it, almost like the changes in db have a sound on their own and you can hear it ticking up or down. In order to hear it from the speakers I really have to stick my ears to them. It's barely noticeable. With the subwoofer is more pronounced. However in order to hear it I have to be listening a non bassy music while changing volume and to pay attention. Going crazy already. The supposed problem is from all the sources ( HDMI, USB, net radio...) And it is clearly heard when for example I am on net radio or USB and I pause or stop the song and start to adjust the volume. This is how I noticed it. So I am starting to wondering if the sound control of AV receivers emits a sound or a noise on their own or it is abnormal phenomenon. Any suggestions or advice would be very appreciated by me. Thank you very much!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello to everyone.
I guess I have not been in the habit of sticking my ear in a speaker when changing the volume. What persuaded you to do that?

Anyhow it caused me to learn about 'zipper noise' from an engineering forum on the Texas instrument site.

If there is input then there is a very low level of noise with each 0.5 db step. It is called zipper noise. There has to be some input to hear it. So I played my system at low volume, stuffed my ear up very close to one of my tweeters and altered the volume with the remote. Indeed there was an almost imperceptible click, at least barely detectable to this old man, with each 0.5db change. Far too quiet to be heard at any listening distance from the speaker.

So, what you are hearing is normal operation for a digital volume control. It is called zipper noise, and that is a term I had not heard before.

Just stop sticking your ear against your speaker while operating the volume control and enjoy the music.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis