PT-AE900E and pixelation sharpness

S

sonofjay817

Audiophyte
Hi, I've noticed with my PT-AE900E the image sharpness isn't quite what I'd like it to be even when I use the focus adjustment. At first I thought this might be because I needed a 1080p rather than 720p. However, when I approach the screen, I can see that each individual pixel is blurred. How can I improve this? I was projecting about a 120 inch image. I thought maybe I just need to learn to live with a smaller image. Are newer projectors much better now in this regard for around $1500 price point?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The AE900 uses smooth screen technology, and when I've seen it, I have always thought that it looked a little bit soft. Basically, Panasonic very subtly blurs each pixel so that the screen door effect becomes invisible. Unfortunately, to my eyes, this appears to soften the image.

I had seen the AE900 and the Sanyo Z4 almost back to back days, and the Z4 completely blew the Panny away for sharpness. Yet, with the newer AX200 I think that we have a considerable jump in sharpness from the same smooth screen technology and they really have toned it down so that you get both really sharp pixels, as well as a total lack of screen door effect.

There is not a good solution for the AE900, but read the reviews here, at Project Central, and at Projector Reviews, and you may find a far better projector right around $1,500. Heck, the new Sany should be around that mark and is a 1080p model.

S

sonofjay817

Audiophyte
Thx! Your informed response is exactly what i needed to know. I guess I should have waited a couple more years before I bought my projector...but then again, when is that NOT the case?.....lol.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Thx! Your informed response is exactly what i needed to know. I guess I should have waited a couple more years before I bought my projector...but then again, when is that NOT the case?.....lol.
It's still a VERY good projector, and for how much you do get, especially in brightness, it was a real toss up at the time between the 900 and the Z4 from Sanyo.

The newer AX200 is great because it really has improved the sharpness and still significant increased lumen count. IMO, the AX200 is by far and away the best projector to get on the market for $1,000 or less.

Now of course, we have the 1080p models rapidly dropping, so the time to upgrade for you may be coming in the next year or two. For me, my projector is actually 3 generations older than yours, so I've been ready to upgrade for several years... but may finally pull the trigger this spring. 1080 FTW!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis