PSB's New Imagine X Loudspeaker Lineup Unveiled

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
PSB's recently unveiled their new Imagine X loudspeaker lineup; consisting of four models ranging from the Imagine XB bookshelf ($499/pair) to the Imagine X2T three-way tower ($1,298/pair), PSB claims this new line packs the performance of their original Imagine lineup with pricing comparable to the lower tier Image line. Naturally, there is an important compromise: the attractive look of the Imagine series is replaced with basic cabinetry. Nonetheless, high end performance at a more affordable price is something sure to catch the attention of budget conscious audiophiles.

Read about the PSB Imagine X Loudspeaker Lineup

Are you a PSB fan? Let us know if you find these new products interesting or if you prefer product offerings from another Canadian speaker brand in this price range.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
PSB's recently unveiled their new Imagine X loudspeaker lineup; consisting of four models ranging from the Imagine XB bookshelf ($499/pair) to the Imagine X2T three-way tower ($1,298/pair), PSB claims this new line packs the performance of their original Imagine lineup with pricing comparable to the lower tier Image line. Naturally, there is an important compromise: the attractive look of the Imagine series is replaced with basic cabinetry. Nonetheless, high end performance at a more affordable price is something sure to catch the attention of budget conscious audiophiles.

Read about the PSB Imagine X Loudspeaker Lineup

Are you a PSB fan? Let us know if you find these new products interesting or if you prefer product offerings from another Canadian speaker brand in this price range.
I'd be interested in a comparison between the Imagine and the ImagineX towers and comparabel bookshelves.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the PSB Imagine X bookshelf tends to fall short of the higher-end Imagine line.
Perhaps in terms of frequency response measurements. But if they sound just as good and cost much less, then I think most PSB fans would welcome the change.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, the PSB Imagine X bookshelf tends to fall short of the higher-end Imagine line.

The Imagine XB bookshelf measurements are on the irregular/shaky side
Sound and Vision
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/psb-imagine-xb-speaker-system-test-bench

The higher-end Imagine B bookshelf
http://www.stereophile.com/content/psb-imagine-b-loudspeaker-measurements

Also, this is the Imagine Mini
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/psb-imagine-mini-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures
Compared to the Imagine B and the Mini, it appears that Imagine XB is rough in its measurements. There was no mention in the review about the sound quality only that it was able to handle comfortably loud situations pretty well. It also costs a lot less than the Imagine series as well.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Compared to the Imagine B and the Mini, it appears that Imagine XB is rough in its measurements. There was no mention in the review about the sound quality only that it was able to handle comfortably loud situations pretty well. It also costs a lot less than the Imagine series as well.
I understand about the cost factor - I just wished they kept the Image name, or chose
another series name - even the thinner boxes will cause change in the sound.

I am just a bit surprised at the measurements - with the roller coaster effect from 5 khz

In the end it all comes down to the owner - and I have preferred PSB over Paradigm in the past.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Perhaps in terms of frequency response measurements. But if they sound just as good and cost much less, then I think most PSB fans would welcome the change.
I hope to hear them one day - however, I would be surprised if they sound as good

It looks like maybe, a little more crossover work could/would help

I did mod the inside cabinet, of the Image B2 speakers in the past.

They still, should be a clear step above the Alpha series.

PSB will always be a popular brand - and they do make some nice stuff

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
I wonder how the XBs would compare to my Image B5s. Worth an audition down at SAE when they come in.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
I wonder how the XBs would compare to my Image B5s. Worth an audition down at SAE when they come in.
Very little difference, if any, I'd say Dargent. They share the same tweeter, same woofer (except dual magnet), same crossover point/type, and same internal volume and claimed specs are identical. The difference you'll hear will be dominated by the different room <-> speaker interaction between SAE's audition room and your own room. Almost certainly a sideways move for you, from the already very good Image B5's.

I don't see a sub in your equipment list. If you haven't got a sub, I highly recommend you concentrate your funds/efforts in that area as your next step. :)

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
Thanks I'm ready to pull the trigger on a sub...looking at an HSU and a Dayton Titanic on Craig's here in Chicago

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
^ Good work!

Edit: Ahhh... just found your thread on subwoofer board. You were miles ahead of me! (Not uncommon.) :oops:

Last edited:
D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
That's a great article! Oh I'm very happy with the B5/C5 LCR setup. Still agonizing over the sub decision...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I reread the review on them and despite the poorish measurements, S&V were quite taken by their performance. There response was on par with. The 5x time more expensive Dynaaudio speakers that they reviewed later on.

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
Well, just ordered the Dayton 1200 with the wireless kit. I decided the positive reviews here and around the web plus the 45 day return policy trumped any used equipment I might find in my price range. In five or so days I'll be doing the crawl! I've been living with a POS Sony SAWM250 for a couple of years, and a couple of weeks ago I got so disgusted with it I just disconnected it and ran the B5s full range. Listening to some Ray Brown right now at -35db and they actually have a nice sweet low end--I'm very very excited to hear what a decent sub might contribute.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, just ordered the Dayton 1200 with the wireless kit. I decided the positive reviews here and around the web plus the 45 day return policy trumped any used equipment I might find in my price range. In five or so days I'll be doing the crawl! I've been living with a POS Sony SAWM250 for a couple of years, and a couple of weeks ago I got so disgusted with it I just disconnected it and ran the B5s full range. Listening to some Ray Brown right now at -35db and they actually have a nice sweet low end--I'm very very excited to hear what a decent sub might contribute.
Congrats :)

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
For surround duty to a imagine t2 and c fronts, what would be ideal a used 700$ imagine b or a new imagine xb?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The Imagine B would be in the same family as the Imagine B where the Imagine XB is a replacement for the now defunt Image series. If listening to multichannel SACD, I would get the Imagine B for better timbre matching. If you plan on only surround use, you can get away with the XB with no problem at all.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis