Psb X2T vs Imagine T

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I’ve found both line of speakers for the same price. I’ve picked some of the differences between the two. T has real wood finish vs vinyl on x2t, it’s smaller by a few inches height and depth. It also lacks a driver dropping it from a 3-way (x2t) to a 2.5 way.... Does anyone have experience with both? I’ve purchased the XB speakers for an office space and absolutely love the sound.

Now I wish to purchase their line of towers for a listening room. I don’t mind the vinyl finish, the xb is actually very nice quality. My main question is how’s the sound overall between the two? Clarity on the top, midrange, etc...Other than low extension, they can’t be that far off? Can they?

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
They use the same tweeter, or at least I think they do.

The Imagine T cabinet looks much nicer with the real wood veneer and curves, but that is probably a significant portion of its overall costs.

The X2T is larger and is a three way, so it probably can play louder and with more/deeper bass.

How big is your room? How loud do you listen? Do you use subwoofer(s)? How important is bass output to you for your main speakers?

That's primarily where the differences will be - in the bass, with the X2T being able to play louder and lower with more bass - but possibly being a little boomy or muddy in comparison to the Imagine T.

Measurements show the X2T might be a little bass heavy, which you may or may not prefer (depending on your preferences, room size, etc):

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1316:nrc-measurements-psb-imagine-x2t-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

Compare those with the Imagine T2, and you'll see that the X2T has higher output in the mid and upper bass, with the midrange and treble levels being about the same between the two speakers:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=754:nrc-measurements-psb-imagine-t2-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
They use the same tweeter, or at least I think they do.

The Imagine T cabinet looks much nicer with the real wood veneer and curves, but that is probably a significant portion of its overall costs.

The X2T is larger and is a three way, so it probably can play louder and with more/deeper bass.

How big is your room? How loud do you listen? Do you use subwoofer(s)? How important is bass output to you for your main speakers?

That's primarily where the differences will be - in the bass, with the X2T being able to play louder and lower with more bass - but possibly being a little boomy or muddy in comparison to the Imagine T.

Measurements show the X2T might be a little bass heavy, which you may or may not prefer (depending on your preferences, room size, etc):

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1316:nrc-measurements-psb-imagine-x2t-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

Compare those with the Imagine T2, and you'll see that the X2T has higher output in the mid and upper bass, with the midrange and treble levels being about the same between the two speakers:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=754:nrc-measurements-psb-imagine-t2-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153
The room is average (i guess) 15x20. No subwoofer will be in play. At all. I don’t have to have super deep bass, although, it’s not bad to have I suppose. I know the bass on the x2t will be deeper than the T. My main concern was the treble and midrange. If they are similar or the same, I’ll probably opt for the X2T for the extended bass. If they sound more alike than not, i may, just may, opt for the T and tiny chance add a sub to them.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
That's a decent sized room - not small, not huge. How high are the ceilings?

I'd suggest the X2T if you like a more bass-heavy presentation and you aren't going to use subwoofers, or the Imagine T if you like a less bass-heavy speaker and/or you're gonna use subwoofers.

I think the mids and highs betwen the two are quite similar. But they won't necessarily sound the same, because the more pronounced mid- and upper-bass of the X2T will make the mids and highs seem a little ramped down (a warmer tonal balance overall), relatively speaking; while for the Imagine T, those similar mids and highs will seem a little more prominent due to the lack of mid- and upper-bass emphasis.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic

I'd suggest the X2T if you like a more bass-heavy presentation and you aren't going to use subwoofers, or the Imagine T if you like a less bass-heavy speaker and/or you're gonna use subwoofers.

I think the mids and highs betwen the two are quite similar. But they won't necessarily sound the same, because the more pronounced mid- and upper-bass of the X2T will make the mids and highs seem a little ramped down (a warmer tonal balance overall), relatively speaking; while for the Imagine T, those similar mids and highs will seem a little more prominent due to the lack of mid- and upper-bass emphasis.
9ft with a small area that tapers to 12ft. I just want whichever presents more presence in the mids and treble region. I’ve sold my B&W towers which was great in the mid section but a wee bit too laid back in the upper end.

these PSB speakers (the XB) give me that excitement of the mids with a sparkling non fatiguing top end I’ve been looking for. If the X2T sound anything like the XB but with added bass frequencies, I’m all in!! Seriously love these.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I would go with the X2T as well in a room that size. You can always pull them away from the walls to reduce the bass response caused by room gain.

I'm a huge fan of PSB and most of my PSBs were bought used. Only my main system, the Image series were purchased new. I found the mids and highs to be really close in sound between the Image series and the other series (4 design generations back) that I would have a difficult time telling them apart in a DBT test.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I would go with the X2T as well in a room that size. You can always pull them away from the walls to reduce the bass response caused by room gain.

I'm a huge fan of PSB and most of my PSBs were bought used. Only my main system, the Image series were purchased new. I found the mids and highs to be really close in sound between the Image series and the other series (4 design generations back) that I would have a difficult time telling them apart in a DBT test.
So the x2t should have the same sparkle as my XB and better mids right? I don’t want it to be smoother than what I’ve got. I’d like it the same or better. The bass would be a bonus. Just trying to reassure that i should get them over the pretty cabinet or the Ts.

PSB has also won me over after listening to these XB. Very good speaker.

Last edited:
Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic

missed the part where you said the mids and highs are quite similar! That answers my questions!

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
missed the part where you said the mids and highs are quite similar! That answers my questions!
Well, they are, yes, but it can be a little more complicated than that and gets into psychoacoustics and how your brain processes sound and ....

Seriously, though, the mids and highs are very similar, but the extra bass (both in amplitude and extension) of the X2T might make the mids and highs on that speaker seem a bit more rolled off than on the Imagine T.

Think of it this way: You like the balance of the Imagine XB you have. Now imagine adding a subwoofer and turning up the volume of the sub so that it overwhelms the Imagine XB. Now the balance of the Imagine XB won't sound right. But that speaker hasn't changed, just its output relative to the bass.

I'm not saying that the X2T has ovewhelming bass that drowns out the mids and highs, just that it's gonna be "bass-ier" than the Imagine T. Probably "bass-ier" than your Imagine XB. Whether or not you like it that way is tough for us to say.

And as 3dB points out, speaker placement in the room affects bass output and balance too.

Last edited:
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
If you're buying from a local dealer, see if you can take home the X2Ts and try them out, with the agreement that you'll either keep them or swap them for the Imagine Ts if you're not happy with them.

If you're buying used or online, you'll just have to try one and see. If the prices are pretty good, and you end up not liking the one you choose, hopefully you can sell it without huge losses.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Crutchfield has both models for the same price. I can try and decide with 10 dollar per speaker return shipping because it’s under freight. No big loss. Thanks for the info.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Are you referring to the "Outlet" savings on the Imagine T at Crutchfield?

There are some rumors that PSB soon will announce a new lineup that might be the replacement for the Imagine B and Imagine T speakers. If so, the current models might soon be available at closeout.

I've also seen the Imagine T and the X2T on eBay and USAudiomart and Audiogon for significant discounts. You might want to keep an eye on the used market and/or closeout deals.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Are you referring to the "Outlet" savings on the Imagine T at Crutchfield?

There are some rumors that PSB soon will announce a new lineup that might be the replacement for the Imagine B and Imagine T speakers. If so, the current models might soon be available at closeout.

I've also seen the Imagine T and the X2T on eBay and USAudiomart and Audiogon for significant discounts. You might want to keep an eye on the used market and/or closeout deals.
Exactly what I was referring to. I’m looking towards new for warranty purposes. Unless the replacement drivers are cheap enough and the used equipment doesn’t have the slightest mark on it. I’m very anal about keeping my equipment perfect. I’ve seen several places where they were like 500 each, however, I’ve also been told to stay away because they’re not authorized and offer no manufacture warranty.... Go figure. Price too good to be true.

I did find a pair or T2 on eBay for roughly 1300 with shipping. Aside from cabinet quality would this be a huge step in sound quality above the x2t? Seems like a decent deal.

Last edited:
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, I'd stay away from the unauthorized "dealers" selling new but without warranty, unless they're somebody on Audiogon with a lot of good feedback.

Buying used is a bit of a gamble, but it can be worth the risk too if you stick to reliable sellers (good feedback). I'm pretty picky about my stuff, too, but I've found lots of good deals on the used market over the years. It does take a fair amount of time and often patience as well, though.

As for the Imagine T2, they're apparently (based on the NRC measurements) a little less bass-heavy (ie, less warm balanced, more 'neutral') than the X2T. Their bass might be a little tighter/cleaner, but I haven't done a head-to-head between the two, and bass is tricky to compare because it's so room and placement dependent.

Other than that - and of course the much nicer looking cabinet - they're probably quite similar.

For your room I'd probably recommend the X2T over the T, but if you can find the T2 at a good price and in good shape from a reliable seller, that might be better than the X2T. Really comes down to whether you like a bit of bass emphasis or a more neutral presentation.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Buying electronics off of Amazon is a dicey business. Amazon itself may be an approved vendor but some of the suppliers supplying Amazon may not be. Better to purchase from approved dealers than Amazon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis