PSB imagine X1T vs ELAC debut F5.2 vs Q acoustics 3050i

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would keep PSB on a short list -- they do make some nice stuff

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
As the others have said, auditioning is the best way to know what speakers you will like/not like. Since that's not an option for you then extrapolating information from those reviews should get you close to an informed decision.

While doing your research, have you found a reviewer who has evaluated more than one of the speakers you're looking at? If so you have one point of view describing different products, so there's at least some comparison value between those articles. Have any of the authors written about speakers and/or subwoofers you have heard? If so, is their opinion similar to yours? If it is that person is someone to pay attention to. If their opinion is not like yours then you should probably discount those evaluations.

Another way to 'read between the lines' is to find articles written by someone who seems to like the same aspects you do. Are midrange and voices the most important things to you? Maybe it's a very detailed and precise high end you like instead? Perhaps your preference is for speakers that can retain their composure when played at extreme volume levels? Or is it the opposite, speakers with exceptional detail when the volume is low? If you see an article where the writer is describing things you prefer those evaluations are likely to have information helpful with your decision.

There will always be a bit of a gamble when buying audio equipment that you haven't heard, but you can minimize the margin of error by looking closely at the reviews and applying the information to your specific situation. The approach is not foolproof, but it will lower the risk. Just remember, the ID (Internet Direct) business model is predicted on buying products that you haven't heard. There are some tremendously successful companies that do all of their business that way, and every one of them started when people bought their products even though they had never heard them. There is something to satisfy every need, but it does take a little effort - and maybe a touch of luck - to find the right ones for you.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the details and recomendations.
Here (Oman) not much choices for audition :(. Only very limited models are available in stores (Paradigm Monitor 9 S.7, Martin Logan Motion 20/40, PSB Imagine X1T, etc.). So I couldn't search for all, choice is very limited. ELAC and Q Acoustics available in Online stores, but no provision for audition and return policy also bit tough. So I have to trust reviews blindly. As I mentioned my room size is only 4.5m x 3.2m; thats why Fluance excluded from the list. I liked Paradigm Monitor 9 clarity ( but couldn't see any reviews on net !!), Also I dont know whether ELAC F5.2 / 6.2 is better than Paradigm or not, but seems to be ELAC are very famous and highly acceptable.
I would not trust reviews blindly, but if you cannot audition anything, then I suggest you limit your choices to those reviewed with bench test data only. Subjective reviews are not very useful at all.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely take subjective reviews with a grain of salt.
One way to evaluate a reviewer is to read his reviews on several products, looking for the item they did not like. Unfortunately, for most professional reviewers, a negative review does not exist!
I like that the Audioholic reviews list pros and cons as it requires them to identify the bad aspects of a product (which you won't see in many reviews - often the closest they will get is saying something like "Speaker A did not image as well as speaker B, but that is to be expected given speaker B is three times as expensive").

However, unlike PENG, I do have a pretty good appreciation of personal reviews on the forums - especially when they are comparing competitive products. Over the years I have found Zieglj01's assessments to be consistent with my own and he is always comparing speakers.

Here are some of his posts involving the QA 3020 (and why I would recommend the Canton GLS or Chrono over QA):
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/q-acoustics-3020-speakers-my-insight.108390/

Also, bclarke on AVSforum reviewed a lot of bookshelf speakers of the towers in the price range you are considering. I have or did have several of the speakers he reviewed and agree with his opinions as they are consistent with my own:
(this page is over 1000 posts long, but the reviews are contained on the first page)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2233954-2-0-bookshelf-compared-wharfedale-philharmonic-chane-musichall-elac-energy-kef.html

Again, these are bookshelf reviews. Many of us, who are looking for the best value recognize that you can buy a very nice 2 way bookshelf speaker for the price of a "not as nice" tower, and if you have a subwoofer, the loss of bass is not an issue (most bookshelf speakers roll off around 50-60Hz). A perfect example is the SVS prime towers at $500 ea vs the SVS Ultra bookshelf at $500 each. If your budget is $1000 for two speakers and you plan to use a good subwoofer, the Ultras are an easy choice for improved SQ!
That said, I understand that many people like the look of a tower and if that is important, get a tower! I am just explaining why these reviews are most often bookshelf speakers.

Above, I talk about other peoples reviews being consistent with my own opinions. Of course, that is a bit of a sticky wicket! I play in three Big Band Jazz Bands and always have a good bit of Big Band music involved when evaluating speakers. In case you are not familiar, a big band is like what Michael Buble has backing him (or Frank Sinatra, often) or Doc Severinsen's band if you remember Johnny Carson. So these are acoustic instruments (trumpets, saxes, trombones) without any processing of their sound. I know these sounds and will recognize when the harmonic balance/timbre is substantially off.
Still, accurate reproduction of acoustic instruments may not be your preference. If all (or most) of what you listen to is electronic music (which involve a myriad of amps with effects),it is very difficult to know what is accurate. IME, Paradigm was a speaker I liked very well (from their ($$)Monitor Series up to their ($$$$)Signature Series) for rock n roll music. They add some extra bass and treble to give a slight smile to the FR which is nice sounding to my ear. When listening to natural acoustic instruments, they don't sound right to me; however, if you are not familiar with those sounds, it may be that a more accurate speaker might not sound as good to you. That is an aspect to consider. Is accuracy the objective or what sounds best to you? As much as I like a purist approach, what sounds best to you is relevant; however, I will caution you to listen to a wide variety of music because when you get into inaccurate reproduction (and we are talking slight, the Paradigms are reasonably subtle with their "enhancements"),it may sound great on some music, but play another song and there is a problem. For example, I was really liking the sound of a pair of speakers playing Norah Jones, but when I listened to Pink Floyd's "Time" (from Dark Side of the Moon),when the female vocal comes in with the male vocals, the female vocals were too dominant. That make sense because Norah Jones is largely about listening to her wonderful voice, and a little extra emphasis on her voice is pretty nice! But back to Pink Floyd's "Time" - On other speakers, the male vocals were maybe slightly dominant or equal, and I am pretty confident that having the female vocals dominate was not the objective on that song!
I might suggest buying a decent pair of headphones if you want a good reference of what the balance should be. Sennheiser cans are good for this IME.
To me, Amazon is one of the better places to buy stuff. Look for the "Prime" notation, which generally means you have 30 days to return the speakers. Listening to them in your home and in your room is the way to do it if at all possible. (Best Buy has a 14 day policy which is good enough and may be more convenient if they have what you want).
Happy hunting!

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would not trust reviews blindly, but if you cannot audition anything, then I suggest you limit your choices to those reviewed with bench test data only. Subjective reviews are not very useful at all.
If I was not able to audition speakers, I would just look at whatever measurements I could find. I would look for something as neutral as possible, with as uniform off-axis response as possible. Because from there you can easily EQ a speaker's character to your taste. It's not as possible to predictably EQ a speaker that has a erratic off-axis response. In other words, it's easy to make a good performing speaker sound like a not-so-good speaker, but you can't really make a not-so-good speaker sound like a good one, no matter how much EQ is applied.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If I was not able to audition speakers, I would just look at whatever measurements I could find. I would look for something as neutral as possible, with as uniform off-axis response as possible. Because from there you can easily EQ a speaker's character to your taste. It's not as possible to predictably EQ a speaker that has a erratic off-axis response. In other words, it's easy to make a good performing speaker sound like a not-so-good speaker, but you can't really make a not-so-good speaker sound like a good one, no matter how much EQ is applied.
The Soundstagenetwork and Stereophile are the two that I typically would check out first:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1802:nrc-measurements-elac-unifi-slim-fsu5-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153
https://www.stereophile.com/content/elac-debut-b6-loudspeaker-measurements

Audioholics.com's are also great but when they included measurements.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis