PSB Image T6 vs B&W 683 vs used Sonus Faber Toy Towers

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Great idea on the Synchrony Two B bookshelf. If I did that, could I place it on it's side or would I need to try to turn the tweeter 90 degrees (and is that even possible)?
No, I would place it vertically. I guess the question is, do you have the space for a vertical bookshelf as a center. I think that would be best.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Hello,

I'm new on the forums but have been reading and learning a lot from all of your posts.

I would love your opinion on which tower speakers to consider.

It will be in my living room which is open to the kitchen. The "living room" space is about 25' x 22' with the sofa 10' from the TV wall and 12' behind the sofa. The kitchen is approximately 12' x 27' and adjacent to the living room. So the whole space is about 37' by 49'. 10 foot ceilings. The speakers can be placed about 12-14' apart next to the TV. (Or if I were to get bookshelf speakers, they could be closer).

My budget for the towers is maximum $2000. It will most likely be paired with a high end Denon receiver (3313 or 4520). I know the recommendation is separate components but I'm limited in space and funds for components...and it will be used for 50% HT and 50% music). I intend on adding a subwoofer as well...maybe a Rel.

I have auditioned and grown to really like the B&W 683's and PSB Image T6. Several months ago, I auditioned the Sonus Faber Toy Towers in passing and I remember that I was blown away by them. I don't remember the details of the speakers now except that I really liked them.

Priorities include good off-axis listening, clear and pleasant low volume listening when the kids go to sleep, easy to drive, ...and easy to set up center channel and in-ceiling surrounds for a 5.1 system.

I can't find anyone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that has the Toy Towers to audition again. The store that did have them went out of business.

I can get the Toy Towers used demos for about 1800 online. Used T6 for 800, new for $1300.

I would love to hear some opinions of those with experience with these speakers. I know the final decision rests with me and my ears but please HELP! I'm in analysis paralysis.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Sounds like you've made up your mind for the Toys.

I would just happen to agree with it. :)

M

mtal

Enthusiast
I just ordered the PSB Synchrony Twos for $1500 and a Denon 4311CI for $1145 (refurb). Plus shipping costs.

It was between a NAD 757 and the 4311. I chose the 4311 because of the 2nd HDMI out for simultaneous play...my wife wants to be able to watch in the kitchen what the rest of the family is watching in the living room. Also for the Audyssey MultEQ XT32. Plus, I'll be watching movies too. I hope it was the right choice.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll let you know how the set up sounds.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just ordered the PSB Synchrony Twos for $1500 and a Denon 4311CI for $1145 (refurb). Plus shipping costs.

It was between a NAD 757 and the 4311. I chose the 4311 because of the 2nd HDMI out for simultaneous play...my wife wants to be able to watch in the kitchen what the rest of the family is watching in the living room. Also for the Audyssey MultEQ XT32. Plus, I'll be watching movies too. I hope it was the right choice.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll let you know how the set up sounds.
You made the right choice, I am 100% sure.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the right components too.

But Electronics Expo has sold brand new Denon 4311 for $1225 delivered. That's the only thing I would do differently.

M

mtal

Enthusiast
I called almost every authorized dealer including EE and either they were out of stock (as EE was) or they wouldn't budge on price much. Knowing I was getting my speakers soon with no way to power them, I lost patience today and caved in and just bought it where I could. Bought with Amex so I get an extra year warranty even on a refurb.

Thanks for the approval. I feel better about it.

Alright.....next question: For in-ceiling surrounds, where do I start? Is $200-$300/pair adequate? Brands?

Last edited:
I

Irishman

Audioholic
I think the first recommendation you'll get from most here will be to avoid in ceilings if at all possible.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I called almost every authorized dealer including EE and either they were out of stock (as EE was) or they wouldn't budge on price much. Knowing I was getting my speakers soon with no way to power them, I lost patience today and caved in and just bought it where I could. Bought with Amex so I get an extra year warranty even on a refurb.

Thanks for the approval. I feel better about it.

Alright.....next question: For in-ceiling surrounds, where do I start? Is $200-$300/pair adequate? Brands?
Seems adequate to me, especially for movies. Stick with PSB if you can.

In-Wall/Ceiling Speakers-Audio Advisor

M

mtal

Enthusiast
I set up the PSB Synchrony Twos with a Denon 4311CI and with a 2-channel set up right now, it sounds amazing! The PSBs are refined and clear with no distortion. I'm quite pleased. I haven't even run Audyssey yet but will do so soon. My wife does not see the need for a sub at this time....but I'll get that soon too.

For a sub, I'm leaning towards the Hsu ULS-15 sealed, with a wireless function. It's smaller than the other options and size and placement are an issue in my living room.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I went beyond my budget but am happy with what I have.

My next project includes speakers for the bedroom!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Nice choices all around. What's also really nice about the HSU's wireless capability is that it is easy to try new placements when the possibilities ever arise (assuming the power cord will reach). You wouldn't have to rerun the coax all the way, hidden, again. You could always add a second HSU, with zero install hassle, again assuming a nearby power outlet. Hey, you've got the XT32 after all. :p I'm just playing. Anyway, I bet that if more AHers had "wireless" subs, many of us would have found ideal placements much faster, or even just finally. (I bet many possible placements have never been tested; the ugliness or hassle of running the coax would have prevented experimentation.)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't even run Audyssey yet but will do so soon. My wife does not see the need for a sub at this time....but I'll get that soon too.
In my H.T. room Audyssey does not make a noticeable difference except for bass. Unless you have a perfect room and you can sit in the sweet spot all the time, you really should run Audyssey as soon as you have a subwoofer.

B

BroncoAZ

Audiophyte
This thread has been helpful to me. I have been looking at new equipment in the $4k price range for the entire system. I did several listenings over the past few weeks. Monday the wife and I went to do some critical listening and decide on a receiver. We listened side by side to a Denon 3313CI, Marantz SR6007, and the NAD T757, all in direct mode. We used the PSB T6 as the speakers, currenty my choice to buy. The Marantz and the NAD sounded better than the Denon on most of the music we brought. There were other areas where to my ears the NAD bested the Marantz. At the end of the session we purchased the NAD T757 (the wife was getting me the receiver as a Christmas present).

I am still trying to decide on speakers. I like both the PSB T6 and the B&W 683, but I think I will start a new thread, or continue on another thread on the topic.

Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This thread has been helpful to me. I have been looking at new equipment in the $4k price range for the entire system. I did several listenings over the past few weeks. Monday the wife and I went to do some critical listening and decide on a receiver. We listened side by side to a Denon 3313CI, Marantz SR6007, and the NAD T757, all in direct mode. We used the PSB T6 as the speakers, currenty my choice to buy. The Marantz and the NAD sounded better than the Denon on most of the music we brought. There were other areas where to my ears the NAD bested the Marantz. At the end of the session we purchased the NAD T757 (the wife was getting me the receiver as a Christmas present).

I am still trying to decide on speakers. I like both the PSB T6 and the B&W 683, but I think I will start a new thread, or continue on another thread on the topic.

Thanks!
Even in Pure Direct Mode, it's hard to say one AVR sounds better than another when none of them are level matched & double-blinded. All 3 are equally good.

The Denon & Marantz will probably have better measurements like SNR, Crosstalk, THD, & Power Output, but the NAD probably has more brand prestige. :D

Electronics are a lot simpler than speakers. If one component measures Better, there's no way it will sound Worse in a fair fight (level matched, DBT, etc).

I believe Denon usually has lower voltage gains than both Marantz & NAD. So with the same volume settings (like -20dB on the Master Volume Knob), the NAD & Marantz will sound louder than the Denon. Even a 1dB louder level will favor the NAD & Marantz over the Denon. Thus, level matching is crucial.

I recall changing out a cheap Denon with a cheap Pioneer AVR (same speakers, no level matching). With the same master volume setting, the Pioneer was louder than the Denon. So without level matching, it would be no contest; the louder Pioneer would win easily.

The PSB will measure better than the B&W, but the B&W probably has more brand prestige. :D

Last edited:
B

BroncoAZ

Audiophyte
I honestly didn't care about brand going into the process to purchase the receiver. I chose the NAD based on the sound to my ears not the brand prestige. I also like the simple look and function with the lack of multiple sound fields and eq features.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That probably is the case in this part of the world. If you read British magazines, you won't likely end up of such impression.
So NAD has a bad rep in England? Didn't know that. Interesting. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...the sound to my ears not the brand prestige. I also like the simple look and function with the lack of multiple sound fields and eq features.
Without level matching and DBT to remove visual bias like aesthetic and features (or lack of :D ), it's never a fair fight in terms of SQ.

But NAD seems pretty good to me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, not that, but they seem to treat NAD like Sony, Denon, Yamaha etc., nothing special.
Oh, well I agree. I see NAD as in the same boat as any of these companies too. Personally I would go with Denon myself. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis