Psb 5T tower crossover issue?

G

Gonzaga

Audiophyte
I have a pair of psb image 5T towers, one is fine and one sounds "off". I have narrowed the problem down to my right speaker by changing amplifier channels/speaker wires and rca's. All the drivers are functional, I can hear them each working with my ear right next to them. So the problem must be the crossover? The tower sounds like the tweeter isnt working and it's wired backwards(confused)

My question is if the tweeter could be blown or damaged but still work slightly?
I am currently trying to find more image speakers for spare parts to further narrow the issue. They sound fantastic even in their damaged state, so I am anxious to hear them working correctly.

System is:
Pioneer Elite vsx 82txs
Kenwood km-x1
Kenwood basic m1
Psb image 9C
Psb image 5T
PlayStation 4
NEC projector

R

Randy E

Audiophyte
Sorry. Don't have an answer for you just noticed your name. GO ZAGS!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a pair of psb image 5T towers, one is fine and one sounds "off". I have narrowed the problem down to my right speaker by changing amplifier channels/speaker wires and rca's. All the drivers are functional, I can hear them each working with my ear right next to them. So the problem must be the crossover? The tower sounds like the tweeter isnt working and it's wired backwards(confused)

My question is if the tweeter could be blown or damaged but still work slightly?
I am currently trying to find more image speakers for spare parts to further narrow the issue. They sound fantastic even in their damaged state, so I am anxious to hear them working correctly.

System is:
Pioneer Elite vsx 82txs
Kenwood km-x1
Kenwood basic m1
Psb image 9C
Psb image 5T
PlayStation 4
NEC projector
I'm sure that the tweeter is supposed to be in reverse polarity. That often has to be done to prevent a null at crossover.

Yes, a speaker can, and often does, loose output. What happens is that over driving the speakers causes heating of the VC and leads to break down of the enamel insulation of the VC coil. So shorts develop between the turns. This lowers output and impedance which can damage amps and receivers.

The way to test this is to take the wires off both tweeters and measure the DC resistance of both with an ohm meter. If the tweeter from the bad speaker shows less DC resistance than the other then that is your problem.

If both tweeters measure the same then the problem is in the crossover. This will almost certainly be a failing cap if this is the problem, although it could be an L-pad resistor.

Measure the resistors in the tweeter L-pad circuit and if they are OK then replace the caps in the high pass circuit to the tweeter.

This is something you should easily be able to trouble shoot and fix yourself.

If it needs a new tweeter and it is NLA, then check and see if there is a VC/diaphragm kit available. If neither are available you have a significant problem.

I see those speakers are around the 20 year old mark, so there may be a problem if the tweeter is no good. This may be part of the problem. Unfortunately Ferro-fluid which is placed in the VC gap of tweeters starting about 30 years or so ago to help cooling and prevent VC over heating is now causing trouble.

We are finding that the ferro fluid is now starting to dry up and not effectively conducting heat from VC to pole piece. This is causing failures. I recently had a Dynaudio D 21 AF fail after 30 years from this very problem.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
We are finding that the ferro fluid is now starting to dry up and not effectively conducting heat from VC to pole piece. This is causing failures. I recently had a Dynaudio D 21 AF fail after 30 years from this very problem.
Can this be repaired or are these speakers shot now?

G

Gonzaga

Audiophyte
Thanks for your reply, very helpful. I am just going to try switching the tweeter from my good speaker and see if it makes a difference since I no longer have an ohm meter. I just didn't want to break the original seal. If this is the case I will order two new tweeters, or a new crossover based on the outcome.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for your reply, very helpful. I am just going to try switching the tweeter from my good speaker and see if it makes a difference since I no longer have an ohm meter. I just didn't want to break the original seal. If this is the case I will order two new tweeters, or a new crossover based on the outcome.
I would go and buy an ohm meter. They are as cheap as chips. Everyone should own a multimeter. If you are into audio a lot more test gear besides. It is part of the basics, and a multimeter is the minimal of the lowest step up the ladder. There is no substitute for hard data. This way you will avoid removing a tweeter or two you don't have to.

You will probably find the tweeters and crossovers no longer available.

If he tweeters are NLA and no repair kit, you are probably going to be speaker shopping.

There is absolutely no need to be ordering a new crossover. Crossovers are simple and easy to repair.

By the way driver failures are much more common than crossover failures. So the odds are on a broken tweeter.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Can this be repaired or are these speakers shot now?
Shot now. Fortunately Eton make an almost identical driver. Only 1 db different in sensitivity, and identical acoustic response. In fact they make it as a drop in for the well regarded D 21 AF. Even so since I'm the designer builder, I could have used a tweeter that required a crossover mod. That tweeter was in one of the rear backs. That is another good reason to be a speaker builder. Far more should build their speakers than do and would get better results if they did.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
G

Gonzaga

Audiophyte
I have since resolved the issue by replacing the tweeter from an Image 1B, and am now very happy with these speakers over my old Paradigm monitor 7v6 towers, they are alot more musical and less harsh at higher volumes. I actually liked them soo much I have added a 2B next to my 9C as a second center, and added a set of 4T towers for surrounds, with the second 2B as my center surround.

It seems these speakers are plagued with a tweeter issue, I have bought two sets of these now with faulty tweeters. I'm hoping that they were lemons and that my new tweeters will hold up as I use my system alot.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis