PS5 as a disk player?

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
All- Is a PS5 a suitable Ultra HD Disk Player? ie as good as a Sony x800?
As isolat8001 stated, PS5 no Dolby Vision. Some don't care about Dolby Vision, PS5, Sony x800 are about the same price when both are at a discount price. I've seen PS5 at 499.00 and the Sony x800 at 278.00. PS5 you'll have access Sony's Vast movie base. Universal Studio, which Sony's owns, thousands of movies. If a gamer, makes sense if not a gamer not so much. Also if one has a Samsung TV, Samsung doesn't do Dolby Vision. I've always found it strange that Sony which supposedly has the best Processors in that tv's and Dolby Vision, but won't put Dolby Vision in their PS5. @Trebdp83 when you need him.

Last edited:
S

Spickering54

Audiophyte
As isolat8001 stated, PS5 has no Dolby Vision. Some don't care about Dolby Vision; PS5 and Sony x800 are about the same price when both are at a discount price. I've seen the PS5 at 499.00 and the Sony x800 at 278.00. PS5, you'll have access to Sony's Vast movie base. Universal Studio, which Sony owns, has thousands of movies. If a gamer, makes sense if not a gamer not so much. Also if one has a Samsung TV, Samsung doesn't do Dolby Vision. I've always found it strange that Sony which supposedly has the best Processors in that tv's and Dolby Vision, but won't put Dolby Vision in their PS5. @Trebdp83 when need him.
Thanks. I am not much of a gamer, but the PS5 would be an attraction that would bring my kids over more often. That said, I just bought a Bravia 9 and a new 5.1 setup and want to enjoy the most of the new system when watching movies.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Thanks. I am not much of a gamer, but the PS5 would be an attraction that would bring my kids over more often. That said, I just bought a Bravia 9 and a new 5.1 setup and want to enjoy the most of the new system when watching movies.
I have grandchildren also and they all have PS5's. From 15 years old down 5 year's old. Plus my two Sons 45 and 38 each have a PS5, oldest still has The original Nintendo game station PlayStation 2,3,4 PS all still work great. Also has Xbox, plus Nintendo Cube.

I'm using his Sony PS 2 right now, I like the older versions of Final Fantasy 4 especially. Not to mention hundreds of not thousands of games they both have between them. They been going at this gamer thing since they were kids my sons. All started when I bought the first Atari Council home and first PS home and the first Nintendo station back in the 80s to play Zelda and Mutant Ninja Turtles and Street fighter. I created some monsters. Lol.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
For an occasional movie for the grandkids and yourself, it will be fine.
For those wanting the best on a regular basis...you need an actual player.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Hey! Gotta ask how you liking you new Bravia 9? What size? I been researching Sony, LG, Samsung and two of the lower end TV manufacturers. Big Headache! I've been going at this for the last two months gonna upgrade in a couple months. My two top picks, Sony 65 A95L or A80L. If the A80L isn't available in a couple of months because as I'm sure you've done your research picking your Bravia 9.

Anyway Sony Bravia 8 OLED is replacing the A80L. As I'm sure you know Trade offs with video just like with audio, Potential burn in with OLED. QDLED no Inky blacks, some blooming certain scenes. But no burn-in to worry about plus they get a lot brighter. I'm asking cause that Bravia 9 you have would be the one I'd pick. Or Sony's X93L but Bravia 7 is replacing the X93L. Would appreciate your thoughts on your new Bavaria 9. Didn't mean to derail your thread apologies, but I had to ask about your new TV.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have used my PS5 almost daily since I got it over 5 years ago, to the point that the controller that came with it died. No issues with the drive and though it has no Dolby vision, it does get very frequent updates. I have a few newer discs that won't play on my Oppo 205 and those play on the PS5.

Is it better than a dedicated player? No. But if games are part of that picture, then I would call it a good choice since it also has every app you can imagine from every streaming platform and supports Atmos for many of them.

One downside is having to use the controller to navigate; I have owned the remote and after one of the updates last year, it no longer works and Sony has no answer for why (bought a new one, same issue).

Last edited:
Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
I have used my PS5 almost daily since I got it over 5 years ago, to the point that the controller that came with it died. No issues with the drive and though it has no Dolby vision, it does get very frequent updates. I have a few newer discs that won't play on my Oppo 205 and those play on the PS5.

Is it better than a dedicated player? No. But if games are part of that picture, then I would call it a good choice since it also has every app you can imagine from every streaming platform and supports Atmos for many of them.

One downside is having to use the controller to navigate; I have owned the remote and after one of the updates last year, it no longer works and Sony has no answer for why (bought a new one, same issue).
Forgot to add about Sony updating PS5 all the time which is another advantage over stand alone movie disc players. Thanks for mentioning that. My Sony x700m was buggy from jump. Constantly freezing up with 4K UHD disc, but not freezing up playing just your standard Blu Ray disk or even DVD's never once did they freeze up on those two formats. Only when playing a 4K disc.

And I mean freeze up, Would not respond to the remote or even the buttons on the front. Had to literally unplugged the unit wait about ten, thirty seconds plugged it back in and all was good. Got two updates, last took about a year, maybe longer 2 year if my memory is right which it usually isn't because I'm old. Last update has performed flawlessly with 4K movie's. Its now going on 5 years old. @AcuDefTechGuy had one, I believe after his froze up a few times he threw it in the garbage when it was even still under warranty!. :eek: I tried to get Andrew to go get It out of the trash and mail it to me! Told Andrew I'd give him 100 bucks plus pay for the shipping, he told me NO! He was that mad. I tried to tell him Sony gonna send updates to fix the freezing up issues. To at least put it back in the box it came in and put it in his stash closet with all his amps that he has stashed. Guess waiting two or more years for Sony to send Updates to fix the bugs wasn't in his best interest he was mad though.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Forgot to add about Sony updating PS5 all the time which is another advantage over stand alone movie disc players. Thanks for mentioning that. My Sony x700m was buggy from jump. Constantly freezing up with 4K UHD disc, but not freezing up playing just your standard Blu Ray disk or even DVD's never once did they freeze up on those two formats. Only when playing a 4K disc.

And I mean freeze up, Would not respond to the remote or even the buttons on the front. Had to literally unplugged the unit wait about ten, thirty seconds plugged it back in and all was good. Got two updates, last took about a year, maybe longer 2 year if my memory is right which it usually isn't because I'm old. In between the first update has performed flawlessly with 4K movie's. Its now going on 5 years old. @AcuDefTechGuy had one, I believe after his froze up a few times he threw it in the garbage when it was even still in the under warranty!. :eek: I tried to get Andrew to go get It out of the trash and mail it to me! Told Andrew I'd give him 100 bucks plus pay for the shipping, he told me NO! He was that mad. I tried to tell him Sony gonna send updates to fix the freezing up issues. To at least put it back in the box it came in and put it in his stash closet with all his amps that he has stashed. Guess waiting two or more years for Sony to send Updates to fix the bugs wasn't in his best interest he was mad though.
Similar with the Oppo. The discs that freeze usually freeze completely. Occasionally, I can skip to the next chapter and it works, but not always. Fortunately, it is still rare that this has happened with the Oppo since there likely won't be any more updates.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
All 4K blu-ray discs feature HDR10 with some also featuring HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. HDR10 will work on a PS5 and a Sony Bravia 9. No Dolby Vision on PS5 and no HDR10+ on Sony Bravia 9. HDR10 will look great so don’t sweat it.

I’d be interested in the receiver used here as it really does matter concerning HDMI ports when gaming in 4K @120Hz.

If you are doing a long run from the receiver to the TV, as is mentioned in another thread, be very careful regarding the cable used as some will support 4K @60Hz uncompressed but not 4K @120Hz uncompressed. it needs to be Ultra Certified which means it supports the full 48Gbps bandwidth of HDMI 2.1.That goes for the voltage inserter as well.

Last edited:
Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
All 4K blu-ray discs feature HDR10 with some also featuring HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. HDR10 will work on a PS5 and a Sony Bravia 9. No Dolby Vision on PS5 and no HDR10+ on Sony Bravia 9. HDR10 will look great so don’t sweat it.

I’d be interested in the receiver used here as it really does matter concerning HDMI ports when gaming in 4K @120Hz.

If you are doing a long run from the receiver to the TV, as is mentioned in another thread, be very careful regarding the cable used as some will support 4K @60Hz uncompressed but not 4K @120Hz uncompressed. it needs to be Ultra Certified which means it supports the full 48Gbps bandwidth of HDMI 2.1.That goes for the voltage inserter as well.
Thank you Sir! for Chiming in! As Usual your an information guru. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

And I mean freeze up, Would not respond to the remote or even the buttons on the front. Had to literally unplugged the unit wait about ten, thirty seconds plugged it back in and all was good. Got two updates, last took about a year, maybe longer 2 year if my memory is right which it usually isn't because I'm old. Last update has performed flawlessly with 4K movie's. Its now going on 5 years old. @AcuDefTechGuy had one, I believe after his froze up a few times he threw it in the garbage when it was even still in the under warranty!. :eek: I tried to get Andrew to go get It out of the trash and mail it to me! Told Andrew I'd give him 100 bucks plus pay for the shipping, he told me NO! He was that mad. I tried to tell him Sony gonna send updates to fix the freezing up issues. To at least put it back in the box it came in and put it in his stash closet with all his amps that he has stashed. Guess waiting two or more years for Sony to send Updates to fix the bugs wasn't in his best interest he was mad though.
I tried updating, but I think it wouldn't even power up.

But yeah, I thew it in the trash. :D

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
I tried updating, but I think it wouldn't even power up.

But yeah, I thew it in the trash. :D
I know! Lol, I couldn't talk you out of throwing it away, Lol. What? Wasn't even a month old if I remember right. I do remember you caught it on sale for like 158 bucks at BestBuy maybe less. But yeah at the time everyone that had that x700 had freezing issues. Come to think of it, If I remember correctly all 4K players were having freezing issues even the more expensive ones just not as much when playing a 4K disc.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis