PS3 to Reciever setup

V

vxcalais01

Audioholic Intern
Ok guys, finally setup the Playstation 3(250gb version) with one low price, gold plated HDMI 1.3 cable from PS3 into Pioneer vsx519k reciever, and another HDMI from the reciever to the TV. So far so good, picture looks fantastic with the cheaper hdmi cables, on the Ps3 setup, it had all the audio gear ticked, except for 7.1 options and the Blue Ray codecs, DTS-MA etc. However it did have the other digital options ticked as well as all the PCM ones. Now i went and ticked the new Blue Ray codecs anyway, but is it correct that the PS3 will only send the codecs through the PCM option ? I have just selected my reciever to the HDMI input, and i assume its on auto, it picked up the Dolby PLII of a dvd i played. Thanks.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Did you make sure to change the HDMI option on the PS3 to bitstream?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ares said:
Did you make sure to change the HDMI option on the PS3 to bitstream?
Not recommended. The Pioneer VSX-519 will handle 7.1 LPCM, not Dolby Plus, TrueHD, and DTS-HD. In the PS3's audio output settings you may opt to do one of two things. Allow it to configure the audio on it's own while the receiver and television are on or set the PS3 to output 7.1 LPCM as well as standard 2 channel PCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS (not DTS-HD, Dolby Plus, TrueHD).

More simply, check every box that isn't Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS-HD. All other boxes can be checked including standard Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 as well.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Good catch Seth I missed the model # of the receiver, note to self pay more attention, kids cause to many distractions when trying to give advice :eek:.

V

vxcalais01

Audioholic Intern
Not recommended. The Pioneer VSX-519 will handle 7.1 LPCM, not Dolby Plus, TrueHD, and DTS-HD. In the PS3's audio output settings you may opt to do one of two things. Allow it to configure the audio on it's own while the receiver and television are on or set the PS3 to output 7.1 LPCM as well as standard 2 channel PCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS (not DTS-HD, Dolby Plus, TrueHD).

More simply, check every box that isn't Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS-HD. All other boxes can be checked including standard Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 as well.
THanks guys. I think my reciever only does 5.1. So will the ps3 send those blue ray codecs(Truew HD,DTS-MA) over as LPCM/PCM ? Will it confuse the player if those ones are selcted ?

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
It will play it with no problem via PCM, the PS3 will do the decoding so there is no worries.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis